The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Guide] Your Motivation: On setting goals

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
I notice a lot of people are having trouble picking proper motivators. I do, my mother, and a few other people close to me also have this same problem.

So I wrote do the things I want to accomplish. How I'm going to accomplish them. Most importantly, why I want to accomplish them.

At first I had a problem being specific.
  • Never work again.
  • Buy my mother a house.
  • Help other family members out.

As you can see, generic useless bullets. No more than 5 or 6 words in the mission statement.

To remedy this I expanded with more specific goals.
  • Never work for another company or person ever again.
  • Buy my mother a large house that is paid in full.
  • Help my other family members out with medical bills, housing, etc...

Still pretty concise... I would like to expand on it further to give me a why.
  • Never work for another company again because I always give my best and greatest when I work but don't see the same efforts given back to me. In fact if I give my best it still is never good enough.
  • Buy my mother a large house so that she never has to go through being homeless with kids again. She has my little brother (7) and nephew (5) and my sick sister(cancer) to take care of. I don't want them to go through what me and my sister went through when we were kids.
  • Help my other family members with there bills if they ever get backed against a wall or injured. Most of them have been there when I needed help. I don't want to see my family struggle like they have been.

Now this is my ultimate motivation right here. These will propel me even further into my business ventures. It is why I will succeed far greater that those who doubted me in school. I have great, precise goals to push me further, to sleep less, work harder and longer to achieve them.

To write successful goals you need to be specific and you need to have a why. Otherwise you just have words.

Thanks for reading
-Mike

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
That's a very noble cause you're working for man, get started and don't look back

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
642%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
My goals are the same. I want to buy my mother a nice house, and support some family that has helped guide me to this path. Go go go!

AmyQ

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 5, 2013
Great goals and motivation, Mike!

Throw some dates and numbers on those bad boys and you should be all set. For example, in the buy your mother a house goal, you could write buy my mother a X square foot house for $X by X month and X year.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.