The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Grappling with doubts over age and situation

NonMagicalGenie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
And the takeaway? I survived. It didn't kill me. Fear has lost it's sting. You can stretch out and take risks, and even crash and burn and live to tell about it. Complacency is the enemy of greatness. I was talking to some friends at church a few weeks back, talking about how scar skin is tougher than regular skin. If it took me going through that fire to come out the other side, than I did it. I made it. You can make it. You can start from zero and build. You can start from where ever today finds you and build. You can start from a place where it feels like you can't breathe, and build. If you are ahead of where I was when I hit rock bottom, you have a head start. I put this out there simply to answer the questions like this OP has about what to do when life feels like it is completely stacked against you.

Toughest podcast I have ever done, and I likely hopefully won't ever open that compartment again. I am negotiating now to restart the podcasting (because I really enjoyed it) but almost everything else we did was positive.

Glad you guys got something from it. Thats why I did it. And it maybe was somewhat cathartic for me.
Listened to the podcast and WOW, I don't even know what to say to be honest. Complete gratitude and admiration for you man. It probably feels amazing coming out of that alive.

Haven't been through even close to what Vigilante has, but what I can say from all my lowest points in my life is that, the worse thing you can possibly do, is nothing. Doing something each day to bring you closer to your goals makes a big difference. Even if its the littlest of changes. It's the small steps you take that lead you to taking bigger ones. My life hasn't been all "bells and whistles" either, too many mistakes and failures to even count, but giving up and ringing that bell is never an option. Like he said in the podcast, "You just gotta start."

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
How can you feel old at 34?
Im 23 but sometimes family and life can have you feeling beat. I can see where he's coming from. Its all about pushing through it.

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado
Hi guys

I'm 34 years old and unmarried. Due to several issues (mainly anxiety and depression) I've never been able to do well financially etc. My income is erratic(I work some days in a shop and earn my income that way, nothing much but I'm grateful). My anxiety really affected me badly during my mid to late 20s and even a bit now and it's held me back(anyone who has been through this will recognise how debilitating it can be).

I want to do something for my financial security and I've found this forum to be very inspiring and it has lit up something in me. Just reading posts on this forum is making me more determined than I have been in a long time.

My age (34) holds me back and I think I may be a bit old to really get into the things that a lot of people on here are doing or even to take major action. I would want to marry and have kids one day but don't know if I've passed the boat financially and age wise. I feel depressed just thinking about it.

I would like to do something Internet related and I will research and learn as much as I can but I'm clueless as to where to even begin.

Many thanks for reading this and I would be most grateful for any advice.

I was 41 when I started. START NOW.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
Just read this article and it reminded me of this thread along with several others regarding stress, anxiety, doubt, fear, etc.
I'm not much of a spiritual or religious guy, but the mindset of monks has always intrigued me.

Explain to this guy why you're stressed.
If you read through it, you'll notice some really big similarities between what this guy (the monk) says and what a lot of us here say.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/69-ol...441.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=fb

TL;DR—"Most things you think are problems aren't actually problems" "Don't worry about things you can't change or control"
Your perception creates your world and rules it.

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
Hey bro!

I'm not your age (I'm 27) but you know what the funny thing is?, I have the same thought as you sometimes!

Just to show you that your brain is actually working against you. It just wants you to survive, not thrive.

Everyone posted great advice, its never too late.

BUT!

Reality is what it is. The older you get, the harder things will be for you in every aspect of your life.

Someone once told me, life is like muddy mountain, if you don't keep moving up, you just slide down.

So far your life has been a downward spiral. You want to reverse that.

This is not to deter you, but to make you realize that you must AGGRESSIVELY change the course of your life.

There is work to be done.

Somethings you can do to help your anxiety:

(You can do all these at the same time while working on a business, so don't make excuses to put it off)

- Workout
- Meditate
- Read Good books
- Eat Healthy
- Get out and be social (You will meet awesome people, gain new hobbies, and see new opportunities)

Plenty of resources online to help you with these.

Who knows maybe in a few years, your fastlane could be helping those like you :)

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Talking about how scar skin is tougher than regular skin.

I took up indoor rock-climbing 8 weeks ago. The first 3 times I went, it took only 5 minutes on the wall before the skin on my hands was torn and bleeding. I literally couldn't climb anymore because I couldn't take the pain. I had to take 4-5 days off in between each session, just to allow my skin time to heal, only to reopen the wounds the next time. The 4th and 5th time, my skin still ripped, but I was mentally tougher. The pain was just as bad, but I ignored it and climbed anyways. The 6th time, I climbed for an hour, the callouses held, and there was no bleeding, and they haven't bled since.

Yesterday, I over-heard a first timer at the climbing gym asking one of the regulars for help, because he "didn't want to practice with the wrong technique" i.e. He needed an excuse for why he wasn't able to climb the route he was working on. This was a route that I couldn't even dream of climbing 3 weeks ago, but finished for the first time yesterday. Technique doesn't matter if you don't have resilience and strength. No need to be perfect, just take consistent action and you'll get that strength.

Two years ago, I got scammed out of 5,000+ dollars, twice. I lost just about all I have saved up through my side-hustling in the previous 12 months. I moped around for months afterwards each time, but then I got up, started my current business from scratch and things are taking off in ways I couldn't have imagined during that dark time.

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016
I have worked with many people suffering from anxiety and/or depression from mild to severe (suicidal ideation on psychiatric wards). People often think its a sign of weakness and a problem easy to fix ("just man up bro!"). Since they have never experienced and never tried to understand it, (to some extent anyone who isn't really suffering from it will ever understand it) they have absolutely no clue how debilitating it can be. And hence, we live in a society full of mental health stigma. It isn't helping anyone and makes it only worse for those who really suffer from it.

You are not using anxiety as an excuse, the excuse is the by-product of your anxiety which you have no control over.

@peace750 we don't know you and I don't know anything about your anxiety or depression but there are some common things that seemed to help people in my experience. A change in dietary lifestyle (some foods exacerbate anxiety) and regular exercise. Cognitive behavioral therapy to explore irrational fears and low moods are very effective. At the same time trying something like a low dose of citalopram (anti-depressant) seem to make a huge impact for some people. Combination of all of these will certainly improve your well being. Slowly you will be able to do things that you found difficult before. We are here to support and help each other. Hope you are well

Last edited:

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
Hi guys

I'm 34 years old and unmarried. Due to several issues (mainly anxiety and depression) I've never been able to do well financially etc. My income is erratic(I work some days in a shop and earn my income that way, nothing much but I'm grateful). My anxiety really affected me badly during my mid to late 20s and even a bit now and it's held me back(anyone who has been through this will recognise how debilitating it can be).

I want to do something for my financial security and I've found this forum to be very inspiring and it has lit up something in me. Just reading posts on this forum is making me more determined than I have been in a long time.

My age (34) holds me back and I think I may be a bit old to really get into the things that a lot of people on here are doing or even to take major action. I would want to marry and have kids one day but don't know if I've passed the boat financially and age wise. I feel depressed just thinking about it.

I would like to do something Internet related and I will research and learn as much as I can but I'm clueless as to where to even begin.

Many thanks for reading this and I would be most grateful for any advice.

I can not find another finer example of a fixed mindset, if you want please read the book "Mindset", you might become a brand new person after that!

Buickestate

any colour as long as it comes with wood
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
Dammit, I had a feeling I should have reserved the time it took me to reply for something else ;[

you did not waste your time, there are many others who will read this thread and will find what they need in your words.

It doesn't get any more raw for me than this. I don't like listening to it.

http://www.twincitiesnewstalk.com/o...4/mind-your-business-is-college-the-13032812/

You walk the walk. thanks for being here, now I'm going to have to find all your past podcasts and take some notes....

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.