The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Good Numbers from KU.. How are yours?

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Hey guys,

just read this article about payments from Kindle Unlimited and that was a great positive surprise. I'm not a huge fan of putting eggs in one basket but this seems like a can't miss thing now (while the payment levels per page are at this rate). Here is the article and some others in the links there:

http://thisblogisaploy.blogspot.ie/2015/08/lets-talk-numbers-its-official-if-you.html

How are your results? No need for exact numbers if you don't want to share but general trend up or down would be interesting to hear! :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
The new system greatly benefits novel writers at the expense of short fiction writers (including authors of children's books) and most non-fiction writers. It was the other way around before, so overall it's still the same bad system that shouldn't exist in the first place at all.

I personally opted out and believe that every Fastlaner should stay away from KDP Select as well, just because staying out of it sounds like a better long-term strategy (you can probably make more in the short-term, but not necessarily in the long-term because this program is extremely likely to get worse with each month). If you'd like to stay in KDP Select, I think it's a good idea to at least keep all of your books ready to publish on other retailers in case you want to opt out and quickly start selling on other sites.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
The new system greatly benefits novel writers at the expense of short fiction writers (including authors of children's books) and most non-fiction writers. It was the other way around before, so overall it's still the same bad system that shouldn't exist in the first place at all.

I personally opted out and believe that every Fastlaner should stay away from KDP Select as well, just because staying out of it sounds like a better long-term strategy (you can probably make more in the short-term, but not necessarily in the long-term because this program is extremely likely to get worse with each month). If you'd like to stay in KDP Select, I think it's a good idea to at least keep all of your books ready to publish on other retailers in case you want to opt out and quickly start selling on other sites.

I don't see that short fiction writers are getting stiffed at all.. it's their choice to write short instead of long.. no one else's. Payment rate doesn't differ either..

I like it at the moment. Per-page is fair payment, for both short and long fiction.. I do agree it will get worse probably as rate goes down, but for next 3-6 months I'd just use it and get as many readers as possible. Maybe even keep one or two books there for long time in same principle as perma-free (just to reach that group of readers using KU).

joanna

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Apr 14, 2011
Reading/London, UK
The people who'll be hurt the most by the change are those who relied on the fact that with a 10-20page book, a reader only had to flip through 1-2 pages for a borrow to count. At the current payout in most cases if you write engaging content and get the read-throughs on a book, you'll often better off even on a short fiction. And you have to remember that an engaging series of say 4 x 15k books can yield better read-throughs than a single 60k novel.

The system isn't perfect that's for sure, but it's now rewarding content favoured by readers vs books that are just good at marketing themselves without any substance inside.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GiroudJD

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
361%
Dec 25, 2013
MPLS
KU2 is terrible. Killed permafrees, killed writers of shorts, killed new authors.

Everything of mine is wide now. Amazon used to be 95% of my income. Now it's 50% or below most months.

I sleep much better at night knowing I don't have to rely on Amazon's whims to pay my bills.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.