The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Getting to the F**k You position in life....

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
I watched 'The Gambler' the other night.

John Goodman's speech about getting to the f**k you position in life was amazing

I think a lot of us are somewhere on that road...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jamie T

>>
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
390%
Oct 26, 2014
Phoenix, AZ

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I would say you have to, to some degree. Ha ha! I don't like the word personally, but in this world it's either you receive the message, or you have to stand your ground and stand up for yourself and whether you like it or not have that attitude. In my experience, I don't remember anyone ever being overly concerned with giving that to me. Basically if you don't you're just a doormat and a martyr and people take advantage of you. I try to be polite about it, if it's possible. But not always possible to be nice with the attitude. :)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
good thread but you, without a doubt have the worst avatar ive ever seen in my entire existence.

anyways, keep up the good work

Says the person with the question mark avatar?

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
That scene made the entire film for me.

G

GuestUser113

q9x5zrN.jpg

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
It did for me, as well. I didn't think it was a terribly great movie (or bad), but this scene made watching it worth it.
I had the same thought as you. The movie wasn't very good but that made it worth it. My wife didn't remember it from the movie and it came up in a discussion of goals the other day and I showed her the clip. My baseline goal can't really be summed up better than John Goodman said it.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
@DrkSide

Really? You didn't think the movie was very good?

@S&P
@ChasingPaper

In the lecture scene above, Mark Wahlberg mentions Robert Greene, author of the 48 Laws of Power (the book Wahlberg refers to in the clip.) Shakespeare and Oxfordian Authorship Theory aside (the student in the clip had this idea, I suspect, because Greene almost seems to draw a Plutarch-is-to-Shakespeare as Tesla-is-to-Edison (loose) analogy in Law 7: Get Others to do the Work for You).

In an interview, The writer of the script for The Gambler refers to Robert Greene as "the contemporary Shakespeare," which is a very respectful thing to say. Although, I think if we take Greene by his own words and actions, he much prefers (and refers to himself as) the modern-day Machiavelli.

Regardless, as Esquire said, "It's heady, intellectual stuff. And it does take some getting used to seeing Wahlberg discussing Robert Greene's criticism of Shakespeare's early plays..." and the article concludes with "Mark Wahlberg is cunning. He's no fool. What he has realized is that, to get the big rewards, it is now necessary to take the huge creative risks. You have to gamble. You might not win. But the other way you can only lose." (emphasis mine)

Ironically, the whole “don't bother, unless you're a genius” line runs contrary to Robert Greene's personal beliefs, and the concepts espoused in Mastery. Mastery asserts that the anyone can reach the apex of human intellectual potential. Anyone with the guts and passion to take risks and use powerful, money-making skills can win. It just takes time, and what Greene would agree that anyone can become a Mozart, a Steve Jobs, a 50 Cent, a Machiavelli, an expert power broker, online money-maker, affiliate boss, MLM Giant, or even a Cesare Borgia. Anyone can do it. All one has to do, in the words of Leonard Piekoff in the final sentence of OPAR (Objectivism The Philosophy of Ayn Rand), “all one has to do is think.”

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
OMG, I love it. This resonates with me from multiple angles.

First, it perfectly explains the WHY behind Fastlane.

Second, it even goes into the mechanisms behind the money system, owning your house, having some cash in the bank as a base, etc.

Third, *F*ck You* is the foundation in which TMF was written! I didn't need to worry about publishers, pissing anyone off, or anything. If it sold ZERO or pissed of some financial planner, so what, F*ck you!

F*ck you is a great place to be. May Fastlane be the tool that helps ya'll get there.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
All I can say Is I've been watching the Wolf of Wall Street for the last two hours and it's something else.

Tobore

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 30, 2013
Above and Beyond
That movies rocks! If there's anything to learn from J.Belfort is that he wanted it bad enough with no f**ks given...
tho he did he his way (the opposite way)...:grumpy:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
That movies rocks! If there's anything to learn from J.Belfort is that he wanted it bad enough with no f**ks given...
tho he did he his way (the opposite way)...:grumpy:
Ha ha! Yes, I agree. He's a bit reckless at the same time.

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
If there's anything to learn from J.Belfort is that he wanted it bad enough with no f**ks given...
Absolutely. Also shows that F*ck you isn't necessary a place or a set amount of money in the bank, it's a mindset.

You don't think I can do that? F*ck you, I'll do it.
You don't like my offer? F*ck you, it's really good and there are thousands out there who'll appreciate it.
You think being self-employed is too risky? F*ck you, I didn't ask you shit.

I don't like the word personally,I try to be polite about it, if it's possible. But not always possible to be nice with the attitude. :)
Here you can read about an example how to say it politely
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/because-i-can.43415/

Last edited by a moderator:

Tobore

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 30, 2013
Above and Beyond
Absolutely. Also shows that F*ck you isn't necessary a place or a set amount of money in the bank, it's a mindset.

You don't think I can do that? F*ck you, I'll do it.
You don't like my offer? F*ck you, it's really good and there are thousands out there who'll appreciate it.
You think being self-employed is too risky? F*ck you, I didn't ask you shit.

Word.

Rockefeller nailed it... "There is no feeling in this world to be compared with self-reliance--do not sacrifice that to anything else."

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix

This. While I can't say I have the F*ck you money in the bank yet, I've always had this mindset. And whether that's good or not is still up for debate. I have always ascribed to the belief that you teach people how to treat you & if you put up with bullshit, the only thing that will come your way is more bullshit. I walked out of a secure job making decent money in the IT/tech industry with two middle fingers in the air because I didn't like the way I was being treated & was tired of it. F*ck you, I'll wait tables if I have to. I refuse to put up with this bullshit any longer. My mindset has always been, I'll figure it out, I'll make it & I don't need you/your asshat antics in my life.

One of the biggest life lessons I've learned is that you get what you accept in life. If you accept bullshit, you get more of it. If you don't accept it, it magically disappears.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

I think that is my favorite part of the movie.

Thanks dwight I'll check it out. lol Just finished it. I didn't realize it was three hours long.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
First, it perfectly explains the WHY behind Fastlane.

The WHY...

For me the WHY has slowly evolved in my quest for the Fastlane. Early on it was to make the money to buy the stuff that everyone EXPECTS you to have when you are rich. You know, the Lambo lifestyle.

But a funny thing has been happening along the way.

I have begun to realize the closer I get (and I am very close) to being able to live the Fastlane lifestyle, the less I need to fulfill those earlier models of what I initially wanted.

No longer am I craving the platitudes of others, because I see myself satisfied knowing that it is now within my grasp, and I don't have to prove it to anyone else by 'wearing it on the outside'

I find myself craving experiences more than things.

And relationships with like minded people greater than admiration or envy from those without.

It is an evolvement.
A know that you know that you know that you can do it.

I think @Vigilante touched on this in this thread: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ich-but-your-friends-arent.46811/#post-285387

"My wife and I were talking about this the other day. The best way to live is in an unremarkable fashion so that people like you for who you are vs. what you have. Live casually. Give generously."

I now reflect as much on showing others how they can be producers rather than consumers, than on what I can even produce myself.

A mind shift. Perhaps it is because when your belly's full, you begin to help feed others...

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The WHY...

For me the WHY has slowly evolved in my quest for the Fastlane. Early on it was to make the money to buy the stuff that everyone EXPECTS you to have when you are rich. You know, the Lambo lifestyle.

But a funny thing has been happening along the way.

I have begun to realize the closer I get (and I am very close) to being able to live the Fastlane lifestyle, the less I need to fulfill those earlier models of what I initially wanted.

No longer am I craving the platitudes of others, because I see myself satisfied knowing that it is now within my grasp, and I don't have to prove it to anyone else by 'wearing it on the outside'

I find myself craving experiences more than things.

And relationships with like minded people greater than admiration or envy from those without.

It is an evolvement.
A know that you know that you know that you can do it.

I think @Vigilante touched on this in this thread: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ich-but-your-friends-arent.46811/#post-285387

"My wife and I were talking about this the other day. The best way to live is in an unremarkable fashion so that people like you for who you are vs. what you have. Live casually. Give generously."

I now reflect as much on showing others how they can be producers rather than consumers, than on what I can even produce myself.

A mind shift. Perhaps it is because when your belly's full, you begin to help feed others...

This. This is why I come back to this forum. Thorough understanding of your most recent post is truly where life begins. Most people will never grasp what you just said. my hope for every single one of the forum members that read your post is that they print it out, tape it to the mirror or bulletin board, and read it occasionally until they find the depth of character to live it out. Well written, my friend.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
One of the biggest life lessons I've learned is that you get what you accept in life. If you accept bullshit, you get more of it. If you don't accept it, it magically disappears.

I think that's what I've learned the last year being on Fastlane I've been putting up with bullshit for to long, and if I just listened to myself in the first place when I was younger, It would have avoided a lot of detours and problems. And after this thread, and reading the people code, I can't remember anyone every giving a f**k about anything in my life when they screwed me over. And yes in two years I've learned about the bullshit of this world. More so this last year. I suppose it's sweet and bitter at the same time.

Tobore

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 30, 2013
Above and Beyond

I think that is my favorite part of the movie.

Thanks dwight I'll check it out. lol Just finished it. I didn't realize it was three hours long.

Haha... I like that part, too. Very funny & motivational. But I'd prefer to give speeches than listen to them.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.