The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Getting into the health supplement field

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
The other day I read an a thread discussion on how to utilize already established health supplement manufacturers. Some already have specific recipes made while others would work with you on making your own. I'm not sure if this was the place I read that discussion, but if anyone here can shed some light on this particular topic please share here.

Basically, I have a list of certain ingredients that give a specific benefit and would like to combine some of them to form my own product, under my own brand. Where would a good place to start looking for this? Thomas registry?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

cmaq

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Aug 8, 2009
I have started a supplement company. And went through all these stages. I then sold the company. If you want to ask me some questions I would be more than happy to answer. There are manufacturers out there that are willing to work with you and make your supplement. Typically, they will have a "scientist" on staff to make sure your combinations and mg levels are appropriate for human consumption, some will help choose the levels for you as well. I called A LOT of places and found them by searching on good old Google.

humberto

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 7, 2010
My name is Humberto Ubiarco Vazquez and I am the Sales Manager at SNT,You can visit our website sntmfg_dot_com an learn more about our GMP certified facility.
Just to give you a brief description of who we are, Supplement & Nutrition Technologies, Inc. specializes in private label manufacturing of nutraceutical products. Our company operates with over 50 years of combined experience in the nutraceutical industry with a commitment to provide the highest quality vitamins, minerals and nutritional supplements at competitive prices.

Since we do all our own manufacturing, you can be certain that rigorous quality control standards have been applied and met by every product you receive from SNT. We are GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) certified by the NSF (The Public Health and Safety Company) since October 2005.
Kind Regards,

Humberto Ubiarco Vazquez
Sales Manager
Supplement & Nutrition Technologies
Phone: 480-968-7592
Fax: 480-968-7651
humberto_at_sntmfg_com

The other day I read an a thread discussion on how to utilize already established health supplement manufacturers. Some already have specific recipes made while others would work with you on making your own. I'm not sure if this was the place I read that discussion, but if anyone here can shed some light on this particular topic please share here.

Basically, I have a list of certain ingredients that give a specific benefit and would like to combine some of them to form my own product, under my own brand. Where would a good place to start looking for this? Thomas registry?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Guys, I'm letting this post stand (the promotional one) because it does offer a legitimate outlet for making these ideas happen. (The firm is here in AZ) ... also since I find it valuable (I've always had ideas about making my own supplements!)

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
Wow, this is an old post. It's interesting to look back on a post like this and re-discover the thought process I had at the time.

It makes me realize how long I've wandered around aimlessly, looking for my own fastlane plan.

(I'm doing good though, I'm taking a bunch of action today)

Oh and welcome to the forums humberto, very nice to meet you. That's a very professional way to promote your business without coming off spammy or cheap.

Perhaps we could be useful to each other. I'm in direct response, working with a call center solutions company (inbound sales, CR, outbound lead engagement and customer care)

jimmy1975

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 22, 2011

I believe you can get into supplement industry with the already established ones. You can be specific to certain supplements for heart health etc as the following website gives some information on [MOD HAS REMOVED LINK]Optimal Health - Benefits of nutritional supplements for overall health. This way you can get expert help from different established supplement manufacturers and also be specific to certain types of supplements.

verial

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
May 8, 2012
Taipei
I'm in the process of this as we speak. I have a formula and am contacting numerous factories for quotes. I want to outsource both the manufacturing and the shipping, so the current question I have is

What is the legality of shipping supplements into the United States from overseas?

halfstepdown88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
698%
Apr 21, 2012
Las Vegas
Cmaq,

I was searching through Fastlane Forum to get information on the supplement industry.

I have personal experience with using supplements/food to regain my health. I had depression and cured it without medication. Read tons of books on supplements, experimented, so I really understand it first hand.

I was thinking of making a supplement that combined 5-HTP or Trytophan with Chlorella or B-Vitamins, then marketing it complete with instructional videos, guides, etc. on how to take it, what to be aware of, etc. to add value to the product so that people don't just go to Amazon.com and find a cheaper version.

Do you have any advice on where I could pursue this further, first steps to take, etc.?

Thank you very much.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Cmaq,

I was searching through Fastlane Forum to get information on the supplement industry.

I have personal experience with using supplements/food to regain my health. I had depression and cured it without medication. Read tons of books on supplements, experimented, so I really understand it first hand.

I was thinking of making a supplement that combined 5-HTP or Trytophan with Chlorella or B-Vitamins, then marketing it complete with instructional videos, guides, etc. on how to take it, what to be aware of, etc. to add value to the product so that people don't just go to Amazon.com and find a cheaper version.

Do you have any advice on where I could pursue this further, first steps to take, etc.?

Thank you very much.

Are you trying to make a sleep/relaxation supplement?

halfstepdown88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
698%
Apr 21, 2012
Las Vegas
Are you trying to make a sleep/relaxation supplement?

For some people it would aid in sleep, others with relaxation.

I was thinking more along the lines of general well-being, combating anxiety, and aiding with depression.

Personally, for sleep I use magnesium and calcium, in the morning I take 5HTP with Chlorella and B-Vitamins.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
For some people it would aid in sleep, others with relaxation.

I was thinking more along the lines of general well-being, combating anxiety, and aiding with depression.

Personally, for sleep I use magnesium and calcium, in the morning I take 5HTP with Chlorella and B-Vitamins.

Oh, for sleep I use almond butter, 2 sticks of celery, some relaxing music and an iPhone app if need be haha, question rooted from the masses of relaxation drinks that are beginning to appear, Bob Marleys mellow mood, monster or someone has something as well, and nuero-sleep. I have yet to see a powder or other supplement for relaxation besides a drink but I am sure they are on their way, not a bad market to be in at this point IMO, keep me updated if you follow through on this!

Jdp5h

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville, TN
Hey everyone, did a search and found this thread and it looks like a couple of you are taking some action as we speak. I don't necessarily want to get into supplements but I was involved in quite a bit of research on campus last year and came up with an idea for a supplement. There's plenty of useful info on outsourcing the manufacturing ect.. However, did you guys do any testing before you had your product manufactured? I want to test the product before I order 50 bottles or whatever the minimum order might be. Is there a manufacturer that you guys used that will produce a few test batches (at a higher price of course)? thanks in advance,

Jason

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey Jason,
From my experience in contacting several manufacturers - none of them will produce custom formulas for you for much less than 1500-2000 bottles (at 60 caps). You can however, easily get pre-made formulas that you can whitelabel (just slap your own brand on) and they can sell you those in much smaller test quantities.

For custom formulas, it has to make sense for the manufacturer, cost-wise. They will look at your list of ingredients and figure in how much it will take in raw material of each ingredient. They will then calculate a batch cost, and divide that out by X number of capsules. The number of bottles will then be determined based on whether you are interested in 30, 60, or 90 ct. bottles.

To find out this, you should figure out the daily dosage of your supplement, e.g. 1 or 2 capsules.

I first had a quote for 90 capsules for my custom product, but I figured it didn't make much sense from a rebilling standpoint. (Because my product's daily dosage ended up being 2 capsules. So that would be a 45 day supply). Well...common sense tells you that it's better to sell bottles that last 30 days (60 capsules in my case) - and then a monthly rebilling / usage cycle makes more sense.

snowman

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 20, 2012
Hi guys,
Has anybody used or have any experience with privatelabelsupplement.com? I'm also looking to make a custom formula, and these seem to offer a good price. I would rather use a supplier someone can recommend though. I know nutricap labs is rated highly, but so are their prices, and I'm trying to keep costs low for my first venture.

Cheers!

verial

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
May 8, 2012
Taipei
I have encountered the exact same situation. I am currently setting up a small market research campaign to see if the custom formula is profitable. I was quoted at about 5~10 times what non-custom formulas would be like.

What's your situation like now?

Hey Jason,
From my experience in contacting several manufacturers - none of them will produce custom formulas for you for much less than 1500-2000 bottles (at 60 caps). You can however, easily get pre-made formulas that you can whitelabel (just slap your own brand on) and they can sell you those in much smaller test quantities.

For custom formulas, it has to make sense for the manufacturer, cost-wise. They will look at your list of ingredients and figure in how much it will take in raw material of each ingredient. They will then calculate a batch cost, and divide that out by X number of capsules. The number of bottles will then be determined based on whether you are interested in 30, 60, or 90 ct. bottles.

To find out this, you should figure out the daily dosage of your supplement, e.g. 1 or 2 capsules.

I first had a quote for 90 capsules for my custom product, but I figured it didn't make much sense from a rebilling standpoint. (Because my product's daily dosage ended up being 2 capsules. So that would be a 45 day supply). Well...common sense tells you that it's better to sell bottles that last 30 days (60 capsules in my case) - and then a monthly rebilling / usage cycle makes more sense.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Someone should copy Isagenix. I have a few friends that sell it. Their base program of products sells for 250-300 bucks a month on autoship! They are minting money. Many people are looking for less expensive alternatives. The products themselves are not any secret magical formula and I"m sure could easily be knocked off by a private label lab.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Well that is the point Isagenix is NOT a successful business because of the formula but because of their business model.

I have not even seen but will bet dollars to donuts is a proprietary formula meaning they don't say how much of each ingredient is in there

How would you copy the formula?

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Put your thinking cap on here guys, start listening to what people are saying and find a solution. Here is an idea, several people have now said that testing their product is a PAIN to do because they would have no idea if their product was lacking or if it was their marketing that sucked, why doesn't someone create a company that *for a price* takes a companies health supplement/product and tests it sales with a proven method. You could charge an up-front fee as well as a commission on all products sold through you, solve their problem and they will trow money at you, there are a million and one health supplements being developed and marketed, start selling shovels instead of digging for gold!

Well that is the point Isagenix is NOT a successful business because of the formula but because of their business model.

I have not even seen but will bet dollars to donuts is a proprietary formula meaning they don't say how much of each ingredient is in there

How would you copy the formula?

You could take it to a lab I guess and get it looked at, but that would be pricey.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I would prefer to just start my own company/brand and grow it and keep 100% of the profit.

Now selling a course which tells people how to start their own supplement company I could see that.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN

They are slick for sure, getting many fitness competitors on board as sales people. They reach many people, but many opt out after the first month because of cost. They then search for "isagenix alternatives". Boom. Companies such as isagenix do your high dollar customer acquisition for you. As far as getting to formula proportions, that is the labs job in reverse engineering.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I wouldn't waste time to reverse engineer it when the product is not the reason the company is successful.

Getting the top guys to do a start up with you with the lure of owning part of the company seems like a better way to go to me.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I would prefer to just start my own company/brand and grow it and keep 100% of the profit.

Now selling a course which tells people how to start their own supplement company I could see that.

That is another good idea, to clarify for everyone, I am not saying you can't make money selling supplements, because you can and people do, but you have a far better chance of making money by helping the millions of people who want to develop a supplement then becoming one of those million

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Why would they hire you if you have not already done the same thing?

And if you have done the same thing why waste your time to make only a small portion of the profits?

You would be better off starting another supplement company and growing it for 100% of the profits.

It would be like me going to you and saying Hey if you develop an app for me I will give you $500 upfront and 20% of the profit.

You would say ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh yea I don't think so because I can make my own app and keep 100% of the profit.

It is the same as it makes no sense for a guitar instructor to keep teaching one person at a time. Better to video tape himself teaching how to play and sell it to tens of thousands of people.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I wouldn't waste time to reverse engineer it when the product is not the reason the company is successful.

Getting the top guys to do a start up with you with the lure of owning part of the company seems like a better way to go to me.

Agree, if you have some deep pockets to do a major launch. I was talking about a lower cost tack, picking up the residual business after the big customer acquisition/sales pitch has been already made.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
reverse eng is thousands but as I say what is the point because it is not the formula which is causing the business to be successful.

If you want to duplicate it you can just include the same ingredients and then compare it to theirs showing yours is less.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
reverse eng is thousands but as I say what is the point because it is not the formula which is causing the business to be successful.

If you want to duplicate it you can just include the same ingredients and then compare it to theirs showing yours is less.

agree!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.