The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Forum Changes... Ideas

Idea threads

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So here are some ideas I was having about tightening up this community...

These are just *ideas* -- the actual implementation of the idea would be another story. Execution would probably involve custom programming here at the forum -- if I was the engineer for the forum, any ideas could be easily implemented, because I am not, they are more difficult to solve.

#1) Start moving everything toward a private forum, almost like a country club where there is greater trust and freedom.
#2) Admission could varied, from SPEED, to MONEY, to INVITES.
#3) Hi-Speed contributors would have their posts "REDACTED" on the public forum with a notice that says "You must be a subscriber to see this content" -- this would protect hi-speed contributor's posts from public consumption.

For example, anyone with speed greater than 100 would have their posts REDACTED and viewable only to those who have subscribed (OR) those with equal amount of speed.

Just some ideas tossing around in my head.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I think you could undercomplicate the programming by :

1. Expanding the INSIDERS group as a sub forum, which essentially would be a forum within the forum. The reason I like more of an organized subforum approach is instead if it being one board, it would have a structure similar to the main forum, so high value posts or posters would recognize the architecture and flow of the INSIDERS subforum. Almost a replication of the main forum, but private access. It also would be easy to move posts into the INSIDERS forum using an identical infrastructure should you deem a post/material needs to be relocated to the inside.

2. Use speed as the litmus test to be eligible to buy a subscription

Other than that, everything else stays the same. Problem solved. If people expose themselves in the open forum, that's their problem then. The open forum is a breeding ground for new INSIDERS members. You don't lose anything by doing it that way.

Pretty simple.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The message if you went that route would be presented as a POSITIVE, with a greatly enhanced INSIDERS subforum using the same site architecture as the main forum! We don't have to beat a dead horse as to WHY the change... just that we have enhanced and expanded the INSIDERS forum to make it more valuable to paying subscribers. And oh by the way you need a speed # of XXX to get approved for a paid subscription. Grandfather in current subscribers regardless of speed #.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
#3) Hi-Speed contributors would have their posts "REDACTED" on the public forum with a notice that says "You must be a subscriber to see this content"
The down side of this is hi-speed contributors cannot respond to newbie outsiders. Well, they can, but the newbie can't see the response.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Sure they could. High speed contributors can post where ever they want. I am not saying mirror the same posts... you'd have posts in the open forum, and a comparable architecture on the inside (just so that the structure was the same for familiarity.) Just like today, INSIDERS could post on the inside, or in the open forum. What ever they wanted.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
I was responding to MJ's idea about redacting the posts of hi-value contributors. Your solution sounds better to me, although it's a lot of forums. How about putting the entire forum structure underneath INSIDERS, and outsiders get maybe four outsiders forums to work with: Introductions, General, Real Estate, Online, for instance.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
  • Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So this week I plan to sub forum the INSIDERS ... my first thoughts are as follows:

Marketing/Advertising/Sales (Will cover all marketing discussions, online, B&M, and other)
Legendary Threads (This will be threads like Vig's "Addicted to Passive Income Deposits")
Your Business (Progress Threads)
INSIDERS Conference Calls

As for the "big changes" - I doubt I will be able to institute any big changes until I get my moving and living situation squared away - right now my focus is so scatterbrained that I fear my ability to execute on anything would suffer.

Willing to hear suggestions as well ... the one thing I'm trying to avoid is dead forums that get one post per month.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
bump because I missed this somehow the first time around

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I think there should be a "services offered" section where INSIDERS can post services. Not sure what that might look like, or if that could get out of control. However, there was a thread proffered by someone today on this:

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/insiders-forum/45621-insider-verified.html

Maybe call it MARKETPLACE unless that will encourage spammers and losers to join just to get their message in there.

Yet another reason for a speed barrier to entry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
MJ.

Add a HOT THREADS INDEX, mod access only to post.

That way, we can give the INSIDERS kind of a version of HEADLINE NEWS where they could come there to scan the headlines from the main forum. This is also going to encourage INSIDERS to jump back out to the main forum vs. stay on the inside.

So, mods can add links to HOT THREADS and this becomes kind of the first place INSIDERS would go to see what's happening on the forum.

It would also serve as somewhat of a noise filter.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Should the speedway be on the inside? Should the threshhold for the speedway be raised?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Add a HOT THREADS INDEX, mod access only to post.

I've been wanting, for years, to have an easy way to showcase the best threads. vBulletin has not come up with a way, and no plugin does the job (at least, I haven't found it.)

The problem with running 3rd party software is you're at the mercy of the software. If this place was my own creation and code, I could create my "dream list" of functions and user features. All great threads would percolate to the top and never be lost.

It kinda makes me sad being handcuffed.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
I think there should be a "services offered" section where INSIDERS can post services. Not sure what that might look like, or if that could get out of control. However, there was a thread proffered by someone today on this:

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/insi...-verified.html

Maybe call it MARKETPLACE unless that will encourage spammers and losers to join just to get their message in there.

Yet another reason for a speed barrier to entry.

I set up a forum section like that over on Rich Dad's site.

Required all posts to be moderated, and only one post per member.

The good thing is that it got all the spam to one place, so most people could just ignore it.

The bad thing was that it took quite a while to moderate, and I was about the only active moderator at the time.

If we set up some rules around it, it could be a good thing. Permit a link to their site, but no big product list. Require an introduction before they can post there. Those sorts of things.

The tough thing is deciding where to draw the line. Is a guy selling logos better or worse than a guy selling software or one selling houses? In my mind, is would have to be open to all to be fair. If fair is where we want to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm starting to see a few threads opened here and there in the INSIDERS Forum that are creating clutter. Maybe we should have a guideline of what makes for a good INSIDERS thread?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Maybe we should have a guideline of what makes for a good INSIDERS thread?

I've found that trying to modify and/or steer user behavior is nearly impossible. People still post the wrong shit in the wrong forum and that moderation rule has been ongoing for nearly a month. I'm not sure anything we do will be helpful.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Really liking the way you're setting up the subforums on the Inside.

Do you mind sharing how many INSIDERS there are now?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just an FYI, I created a private forum within the private forum (For Few Eyes Only) but haven't been able to get the permissions squared away, so at the moment, that forum is unviewable by everyone. For some reason my vBulletin isn't updating the permissions.

The default setting should give access to INSIDERS w/a kph of 60kph ... UBER PRIVATE.

I also reorganized the INSIDERS section look more like a regular forum.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
With Vig's recent "lightspeed" designation, I was reminded of a change I was thinking about doing here at the forum.

What do you guys think about changing the "Reputation Speed" to "Reputation Bank" -- and then instead of speed, the #'s would reflect money.

It's very clear that acquiring speed is much like acquiring money--- VALUE DRIVEN. So why not make it so?

For example, PARKED would changed to "$0.00" or "Broke" (Not sure I like Broke as it's too negative.)

But as rep increases, the amounts would increase. "LightSpeed" could be "Billionaires" or an actual figure like $100M. Someone in the 200's speed kph's could be "$1,000,000".

In other words, speed becomes a bank account reflective of value, true to the real world.

I just think that by using $ amounts, people would finally understand the actual concept of VALUE as it relates to money. If you want to make money, provide value!!! The "reputation bank" will serve this function perfectly and also serve as an easy to understand metaphor for how one earns money ...

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Hmm... at first thought I was meh but after thinking about it it really could reinforce that providing value is closely related to the making of money. I'd say go for it.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
With Vig's recent "lightspeed" designation, I was reminded of a change I was thinking about doing here at the forum.

What do you guys think about changing the "Reputation Speed" to "Reputation Bank" -- and then instead of speed, the #'s would reflect money.

It's very clear that acquiring speed is much like acquiring money--- VALUE DRIVEN. So why not make it so?

For example, PARKED would changed to "$0.00" or "Broke" (Not sure I like Broke as it's too negative.)

But as rep increases, the amounts would increase. "LightSpeed" could be "Billionaires" or an actual figure like $100M. Someone in the 200's speed kph's could be "$1,000,000".

In other words, speed becomes a bank account reflective of value, true to the real world.

I just think that by using $ amounts, people would finally understand the actual concept of VALUE as it relates to money. If you want to make money, provide value!!! The "reputation bank" will serve this function perfectly and also serve as an easy to understand metaphor for how one earns money ...

I think you should leave it.

The forum has developed it's own language tied into the book.

Slowlane.

Fastlane.

Speed #.

Don't ever forget that a part of why we exist is people coming in FROM the book, and people coming in and then buying the book.

Keep the direct correlation. It helps complete the illustration.

Adding value helps you change lanes.

You had it right from the beginning. Keep it as is.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
What happened to the section that was at the bottom of each thread that showed who had viewed that thread?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What happened to the section that was at the bottom of each thread that showed who had viewed that thread?

I removed it -- I've been trying to make the forum load faster and reduce the DB queries.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Gonna split off the Inventing forum and create a self-publishing forum -- lots of writers have been joining and its time it gets its own category.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.