The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finally moving to Scottsdale, Arizona!

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
I'm curious if there's something too.

I'm just moving there cause it's beautiful, the weather is a 1 billion times improvement over Pennsylvania, I've always been interested in the desert/western thing. I love southwest cooking.

Plus it looks like I'll have some damn good company.

;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea PA just isnt where I see myself longterm. It seems like the weather gets worse each year. So many overcast and/or rainy days.

As far as Scottsdale, I dont know. There and Phoenix are supposed to be entrepreneurial hot spots arent they? I dont think the desert weather is probably up my alley at least as a full time thing. But if I go somewhere north like Prescott im only 90 minutes away from that weather whenever I want it. I do hope Google Fiber ends up in the Phoenix area.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
The #1 reason I moved here is because of the weather and beautiful southwest scenery. I lived in Yuma for a short period when I was young and had vacationed here a couple times so I knew I wanted to live here. 320+ days a year of sunshine is amazing.

The cost of living here is about the same as living in Indiana (where I moved from). In some aspects is even cheaper living here.

From what I understand Arizona is small business friendly and they are taking steps to appeal to more startups and entrepreneurs. It's a possibility that google fiber will be available here in the near future.

I'll just leave these here...

http://www.experiencescottsdale.com/

For the exotic car lovers out there...

You are also only a 6 hour ride away from all the really nice CA beaches like around San Diego. Without actually having to live in CA and pay that price.

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
Yea PA just isnt where I see myself longterm. It seems like the weather gets worse each year. So many overcast and/or rainy days.

As far as Scottsdale, I dont know. There and Phoenix are supposed to be entrepreneurial hot spots arent they? I dont think the desert weather is probably up my alley at least as a full time thing. But if I go somewhere north like Prescott im only 90 minutes away from that weather whenever I want it. I do hope Google Fiber ends up in the Phoenix area.
Yeah PA's pretty piss poor lol all the way around. Pittsburgh (and the Wexford/McCandless area) is a nice city and that's about all there is. Thankfully I live about 45 minutes north of the Burgh so I can escape for a day or two here or there lol.

But yeah, today's been pretty terrible as far as weather. Complete gloomy overcast and cloudiness. And muggy as F*ck.

Google Fiber seems like a big benefit as well!

P.S. isn't it funny how Pennsylvania residents are the only ones in the country that refer to our state by its abbreviated letters?

You don't hear someone from Kentucky saying "I'm from KY".

:confused:

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
I'm sure TMF has something to do with the reasons why people are moving there :)

I just hope they realize that it wasn't the location per se that made MJ successful. He could have done just as well in Dead-horse Alaska with his mindset.

I think climate does have a effect, at least on some people. Especially when you live in a place where you are indoors for like 6 months a year.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
I happen to like Texas a whole lot. Lots of sun and no real "winters." Plus, we have grass!

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Deception. I don't see mosquito netting. I haven't been bitten by a mosquito in 10 years. In Austin, I think it happens every 10 seconds.:eek:

On a realistic note, I think today is the hottest day of the year so far in Phoenix .... 115 and I even heard 118. in some places. Right about now @Eskil should be saying "WTF was I thinking????"
Ok fine. You have me there. Mosquitoes can get so bad that you worry about them carrying off the very young. BUT! It's nothing that a little DEET can't handle. :D

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
how you guys dont freakin melt in the amount of 100+ degree days there I have no clue

thorn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Jun 23, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah PA's pretty piss poor lol all the way around. Pittsburgh (and the Wexford/McCandless area) is a nice city and that's about all there is. Thankfully I live about 45 minutes north of the Burgh so I can escape for a day or two here or there lol.

But yeah, today's been pretty terrible as far as weather. Complete gloomy overcast and cloudiness. And muggy as F*ck.

Google Fiber seems like a big benefit as well!

P.S. isn't it funny how Pennsylvania residents are the only ones in the country that refer to our state by its abbreviated letters?

You don't hear someone from Kentucky saying "I'm from KY".

:confused:

Good to see another one from near the 'Burgh here on the forum. I was thinking I may have been the only one, but can't say I really have been actively looking to see who is from where. Although it does seem like there is a lot of push to Scottsdale, as others have mentioned. I live in the South Hills but definitely think Wexford is one of the nicer areas of the region. I am ok with Pittsburgh and PA in general, but I think if it weren't for how close my wife and I are with our families that are rooted here I would consider moving... just for a change of scenery. As much as I enjoy the change of seasons, I think I would enjoy the warmth and sunshine on a more consistent basis. There are too many days in the dead of winter where you look outside and see gray and just have to force yourself out of bed. Although the plan and hopes are that one day soon I will be able to split my time between here with my family and ideally Hawaii.

Anyways, carry on...just wanted to interject and say hi to a neighbor!

PS - Good luck on the move @Eskil! Once this Amazon training wraps up, the pictures of your new location may give even more incentive to come out and buy you that beer I have been talking about doing since we started!

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
I still can't believe you're leaving this:

mount-shuksan-autumn-scenery_4613.jpg

Tisk, tisk.

Anyone else want to join me in WA? I be lonely. :eek:

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
PS.

I bleed Black N' Gold

[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

vudedaju.jpg

Last edited:

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
Anyone else want to join me in WA? I be lonely.

Wife and I would love to move to WA if we can find work there.. the PNW most gorgeous place in the US not to mention the restaurants are amazing

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Just an FYI. When I moved into my house it had a lush grass front lawn and backyard. A couple of problems with this.

One, you have to water it. My first month my home used 40,000 gallons of water! Yes, you read that right.

And two, then you have to mow it. I hated mowing grass in Chicago, so try mowing the lawn in 110 degree heat!

So I took out the grass and put in a rock landscape with cacti. No more mowing and much less water. But now I have a landscaper so the mowing isn't an issue, but I got my water usage down to 12,000 gallons.

Plus you would be surprised at how cool desert vegetation is. It's surprisingly pretty and colorful. It's not all brown here like I thought before I moved here.
Thanks. You've given me some good information.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
There are a bunch of things that you just cannot quantify once you find a place that you like to live. I do like to escape the summers here, so I go back to Chicago in the summer. There are a few things that are immediate to me, things that I don't notice until there aren't there.

For example:
1) The gym is 2 miles away and there's always parking in AZ. In Chicago the gym is 6 miles away but takes 3x as long to get there. Then, the parking lot is so small. When I live in AZ I go almost everyday. When I'm in Chicago, maybe once a week. It's just a convenience thing to do.
2) Traffic. Virtually no traffic where I live. Chicago, traffic all times of the day. I notice alot of horn honking in Chicago. It's virtually nonexistent in AZ. Once you begin to value your time, traffic will just irritate the f&ck out of you.
3) Abundance of healthy restaurants in AZ. Chicago, tons of burger and steak places. Just more accessible in AZ, so I make better choices.
4) 20 minutes away from being in the mountains. Makes me enjoy biking and hiking.
5) LLCs cost pretty much nothing here. Good for me cause I start new businesses every year. :)
6) Real estate taxes are super low. $1.5m house, $5k taxes. So are rent rates. Yes, you can get a nice 1br condo for $90k in a GREAT neighborhood.

I don't think many of you realize how much weather affects everything. I did not realize it until I moved here. Weather is a huge influence on your life. Weather is just one component of your surroundings, but it's very important. If it wasn't, why do people go beach destinations for vacation? Why do people want great views out of their office, home or hotel rooms?

I had a friend come live with me for 3 weeks during winter earlier this year. In the 2 weeks he was here, he lost 5 lbs. We biked and ate healthy nearly every day. He went back to Chicago and gained it all back. His environment in Chicago was just not conducive to exercising or eating healthy.
Great post.

I completely agree. I have lived in certain places in California where I would go for long, arduous bike rides in the mountains every day after work and on weekends because it was sunny all the time and really really convenient and easy to do. Here? Not as much and not as easily.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
....when the list of exercise healthy/fittest cities come up I dont think arizona is even on the list. In fact, you can find states like co. and mass on the list.

6 mile commute to gym is the shortest anyone in chicago city could make it to a gym? I think it depends on the location. Some people may live in a penthouse high rise with full gym in building and can walk to commercial district offices for their work without traffic concerns. That also alleviates a noise concern living so far above ground at personal residence.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Besides, a thermometer only tells half the story. Humidity, dew point, and "feels like" temperatures is really what matters more if we're gonna compare AZ to other places. Summers in Norway (and WA) can get SUPER super muggy, sticky, and humid as heck - even at like 80-85F. That to me is way worse than a dry, dry 110.

This says it all.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Can I take a 'rain check' on that invite, or do you guys have anything like that in AZ?
Yes. And we do get rain 2 inches at a time 3 times a year. ;)

Will she be here on August 22nd? She could come to the Roaring Fork with the group. The question is, would she be comfortable enough to come along with our group?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Were you in the city in Chicago? A lot of what you describe, sounds like the difference between city life and the suburbs, not so much solely the destination itself. Either way the weather still plays a huge factor in it all.

I've only lived in the burbs and it's the same. In Chicago, the burbs are just as packed as the city unless you get about 40 miles out from the city center.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Summers in Norway (and WA) can get SUPER super muggy, sticky, and humid as heck - even at like 80-85F. That to me is way worse than a dry, dry 110. :)

And no one has air conditioning, at least in rentals. 86 today with 70+% humidity. I occasionally find myself thinking that it's crazy to move somewhere that's 30 degrees hotter, but then I remember hot places have great AC, heh.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
You made it! I was going to invite you to Cars and Coffee today if you're into that sort of thing, but I figured you might have other priorities at the moment

Where in the world have you guys been hiding? Things going well?

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
Congrats on the move! This forum is also what put Arizona in my mind as a option. Never considered it much. But the more you look into it the more it sounds like a nice spot. Though right now I kind of have my eye more north like Prescott, AZ. Any of you AZ guys have any opinion on that area of the state?

Also for internet I see that Phoenix, Scottsdale and Tempe are potential cities for Google Fiber expansion. So you will likely get that eventually, how long it takes is another question.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I would replace those palms around the pool with a different type of palm or other trees. Those Mexican Fan Palms drop little furry seeds by the thousands in June. They will make a mess and plug up filters. You can just pay to have them trim off the seeds every year but it is a hassle. At minimum, I would take out the small ones that are growing all over the place.

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
What didnt you like about WA state? I have so many friends who are moving there from Southern California and Arizona I lost count...

Howdy partners…
Since moving back to the states from Norway in 2010, our plan all along was to get settled somewhere else than WA state (where we have lived now for 4 years).

Our plan for years was to get back to California, but after hearing the constant praise of Arizona from the likes of MJ and several of my forum friends here, I started thinking more and more that maybe Scottsdale, AZ would be the right place to be after all! :) Then this past February, at B&P, I was really sold. Knowing how many people from the forum here who calls the place home – it just felt right to be closer to my fellow entrepreneurs. And besides – the more I told the wife and kids about the place (and the more they researched it themselves) – the more eager they were to move there too! :)

And now I’m excited to say that we are only 10 days away from making our big move to Scottsdale.
Can’t wait to soak up the sun in our new backyard while I think up new ways to grow my businesses!! :)
gLZw67T.jpg

Thanks a ton to @Red for helping us with the relocation!

So of course I have some questions for y’all too:

Best ______ service?
Instead of Googling this, I prefer asking you guys here.
- What fast/reliable/good ISP service do you recommend in Scottsdale?
- How about cable / phone companies? Same as above, bundled? Or best to keep separate?

Now... who here lives in the general area?
Off the top of my head:
@MJ DeMarco
@Genium
@AllenCrawley
@Red
@biophase
@bensonj
@VinceT
@Catalyst
@SteveO
Did I forget anybody?

Others, like RealOG, JasonR, AndrewNC, and TheTruth are on temporary leaves away from the area but might come back :) Now we just need to talk even more people to going, so we can build a small commune, lol.

Will all the rest of you who live in the general Scottsdale/Phoenix/surrounding areas here please raise your hands? If anyone wants to meet up some time after we get settled in, I’m all for it!
Bonus question - what lesser known fact might pleasantly surprise me about Scottsdale after moving there? :)

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
any of you ever worry about AZ running out of water due to drought?

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
Now my counter question when I hear people moving TO a place like Washington is: What made those people leave a nicer climate to go to a worse one? (other than work or perhaps family, which was our original reason).

I live in California and have no plans to move so just telling you what everyone I know has told me...

They are tired of the shitty local economy, lack of rain, severe drought that will only get worse, horrible toxic air quality, terribly unhealthy water quality, sand storms, earthquakes, wildfires, dirty pollution, hepatitis filled ocean water, overcrowded, traffic, insanely high crime rate, overpriced real estate, high cost of living, 10 shades of brown with zero green anywhere to be found, stuck up rude people, unbearable heat....

just what the people I know who are moving have told me

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Who doesn't live in Scottsdale? Jeez!

Am I the only one in Washington now? :p