The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fighting the Desert of Desertion?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
I've realized something about several of the entrepreneurial ventures I've been involved in, and in being honest with myself, I've noticed a pretty disturbing trend. I'm hoping those who have experienced with the same thing can offer some advice.

Looking back over projects, both past and present, a re-occuring cycle is painfully obvious to me:

1. High interest and excitement in the beginning followed by a flurry of productivity and doing.
2. This slowly begins to taper off until I'm full blown in the middle of the desert of desertion.
3. See little to no results, desert of desertion is breathing down my neck.
4. Completely lose interest in the project and sell/abandon it.
5. Find new project and start back over at #1.

It's pretty embarrassing to openly admit this, but I've tried to combat this myself and I'm just really having a hard time with it. Once I lose interest in a project, it's just so rediculously difficult to continue working on it and not look for something else that excites me.

Can anyone else who has dealt with this offer any advice?

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

brycer9

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jan 21, 2013
With my first business I went 3 months up and running without any sales at all. But I knew in my mind, that as long as I was fulfilling a need, that perseverance would win over any obstacle. I kept working every day without results and on the 4th month it turned into my biggest income source

Edit: It might help to post a progress thread so you're held accountable

NVaz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 24, 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
+1 to a progress thread or a diary where you can track what you have (or not) accomplished. I've started myself a diary so i can check for how long i have been procrastinating (not taking actions) .

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
I already do a progress diary for my latest stuff, but I'm finding that the little to no results + desert of desertion thing is still causing complete loss of interest, to the point where I lose interest in the diary too. :(

SerpKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Jun 6, 2013
Usually when this happens to me it's due to one thing:

The reason that I ditched the project is because deep down I knew it wasn't worth pursuing. Once I'm down off of the "idea high", the reality is that it's just not something worth pursuing. I was trying to force something that I really wasn't confident in. I'd rather ditch it quick instead of pushing forward trying to make progress for the sake of making progress.

I get behind one or two projects that I'm super confident in. Projects that I know will add a ton of value - It's easy to follow through then, just keep kicking yourself in the behind.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
The reason that I ditched the project is because deep down I knew it wasn't worth pursuing. Once I'm down off of the "idea high", the reality is that it's just not something worth pursuing. I was trying to force something that I really wasn't confident in.

I've thought about this as well. All my projects, on some level, were worth pursing (meaning they would have certainly been profitable, or did show profitability), but they obviously weren't going to be a fastlane to millions.

I think a lot of my problem comes directly from what defines the desert of desertion. Such as:

1. Little to no results.
2. Little to no positive feedback from customers.

I think finding a way to at least solve #2 in the development phase would do wonders for project perseverance.

But, I also agree with you about finding ideas you are super confident in. I can say with 100% certainty, that if I had an idea that I was working on that I knew would really benefit people and that I knew would make me a millionaire, motivation absolutely would not be a problem. I just happen to have smaller ideas, at the moment.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

#1: Recognize the DOD as natural to the process.

1. Little to no results.
2. Little to no positive feedback from customers.

I wouldn't necessarily call these DOD items. When I think of DOD, I think of the time from concept to production. For example, I've started writing another book. Until it physically gets into the hands of a reader, I would classify this period of time as the DOD since no one is able to read the book and say "It's awesome!" or "It sucks!". Of course, I can fight the DOD by reading comments about my first book which motivates me for the second.

If you were creating an mobile app, the DOD would represent DEV time until it hits the market.

Once your product starts moving into the market, you should start hearing echos from customers and users. What you're looking for here is validation that your product is a superior value. If you sell 100 of product XYZ and not one person has reordered, or commented positively, I would consider this a big concern as perhaps, your product needs tweaking. Superior value is what moves net worth meters.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
For example, I've started writing another book. Until it physically gets into the hands of a reader, I would classify this period of time as the DOD since no one is able to read the book and say "It's awesome!" or "It sucks!"

Yes, perhaps I didn't explain it well, but that's exactly what I'm referring to. Not, having my product/service/whatever already out there and getting no or negative feedback.

It's the period that you are describing between starting your book and getting it to the reader. That's where my struggles lie.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Nothing to be embarrassed about.

In the design phase - I break through those times by hiring a business consultant.

In the implementation phase (second DOD for me) - I try to hire people that are good managers, even if you can only hire them for a few hours a week.

Any chance you are over-designing your product/service etc? Could you roll it out at 85%?

The Brit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 22, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Two words...Adult ADHD! I have a theory (not yet proven) that ADHD and being an entrepreneur go hand in hand. Not necessarily a bad thing if you can learn to focus and channel the energy that comes with it. On the other hand there are two types of entrepreneurs - the one that comes up with the idea "the idea guy". This is the guy who keeps a note pad and pen by the bedside for those moments, in the middle of the night when the idea hits. Then there's the Manager or "Maintainer". This is the guy that once the idea is implemented is able to maintain the business on a more stable level. Once you understand which one you are, and accept it, then you are able to carry on regardless knowing that what you are doing is playing to your strengths.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011

Will B. Rich

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jun 25, 2013
Upstate NY
It's also tough for me to admit but I struggle with letting doubts negatively effect my motivation. Definitely fighting through the ups and downs involved with my current project too (my first major project)

I found a small business consulting firm in my area (free advice from college employed sources) and I pitched my idea to one of the mentors and showed him what I have done so far. I've scheduled another meeting for about a month out and by that time the goal is to have a working prototype for usability feedback. The old "tell as many people as possible so you have motivation to not fail" is also a great way to keep yourself working hard. So far nobody I've "pitched" to has shot me too far down and we have gotten some good feedback in the process.

The positive reinforcement is great - I actually have MJ's video on the desert ready to go at all times since it's a good kick in the pants to keep plugging along :thumbsup:

Stephen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 3, 2013
A good way to fight this and feel like you are actually making progress, as well as forcing yourself to take action is to write down 5 successes at the end of the day. It does not matter how big or small they are. A success could be "I wrote that blog post I needed to write for whatever topic" or "I responded to this email from someone who wrote me relating to my business." The point is that if you know at the end of the day, you will have to write down five successes, you are damn sure going to make sure you have 5 successes to write about. The other thing about this is that you will start to feel like a success, because right now, you probably do not realize everything you are doing that is successful, because you are focused on the fact that a business is not bringing in money. If you focus on the successes, more will come and you will find the money. I used to have the same problem as you. I launched two businesses. I will admit, the first one was kind of a stupid revenue stream based on the idea, but the second one was PURE GOLD! To this day, I ask myself why the hell I shut it down. With my third business, it was about 8 months before I saw any money and I had started think maybe this one was a failure too. Instead, I thought of it from different angles, contacted the largest distributor in the industry (my product is an invention) and they responded that they would like to carry my product. Since then, more upsets. They picked it up and paid me for the first order, but it is not selling. What am I doing now? I have contacted the people responsible for the trade show for my industry and will be exhibiting my product at this trade show in March with hundreds of thousands of venues represented. It all comes down to the attitude to keep going! You can do it! Maybe take a step back and see if attacking from another angle will solve the problem. If not, try another angle. Good luck!

JohnnFour

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Aug 2, 2013
I call this The Grind.

Seth Godin calls it The Dip. He has a good short book on the subject you might find helpful.

I have been listening to interviews lately, including MJ's at a millionaire site. Many of the interviewees talk about the bad periods and challenges before achieving success.

I defeat the Grind by writing out why I'm doing the project on card in my wallet. I read it when frustrated. It doesn't get rid of the frustration, but it gets me motivated again to work through it.

I also chunk out my projects. If I have to walk a thousand miles, all I really care about right now is taking the next step. Then the next. So if I am writing a 80,000 word book, for example, I aim for x words a day, say, 2000. Then all I need to do each day is worry about getting my 2k words done (and more, if I can, which I call the daily Bonus Round - lame, I know).

If I just do the chunks, the 1,000 mile trip takes care of itself over time without overwhelm or second guessing.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
I also chunk out my projects. If I have to walk a thousand miles, all I really care about right now is taking the next step. Then the next. So if I am writing a 80,000 word book, for example, I aim for x words a day, say, 2000. Then all I need to do each day is worry about getting my 2k words done (and more, if I can, which I call the daily Bonus Round - lame, I know).

I've also started doing this and I'm seeing forward momentum. Many people may not even realize it, but looking at your project as a whole can sub-consciously overwhelm you into inaction. You'll be sitting there thinking, "Once I write 50,000 more words of content, things will start to pick up and I can do this, and this, and this." When really all you need to be focusing on is what you need to get done today.

It's way better to set an achieve a multiple small goals, then to set and fail at one massive goal.

GMoney22

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Nov 27, 2017
Houston
I've realized something about several of the entrepreneurial ventures I've been involved in, and in being honest with myself, I've noticed a pretty disturbing trend. I'm hoping those who have experienced with the same thing can offer some advice.

Looking back over projects, both past and present, a re-occuring cycle is painfully obvious to me:

1. High interest and excitement in the beginning followed by a flurry of productivity and doing.
2. This slowly begins to taper off until I'm full blown in the middle of the desert of desertion.
3. See little to no results, desert of desertion is breathing down my neck.
4. Completely lose interest in the project and sell/abandon it.
5. Find new project and start back over at #1.

It's pretty embarrassing to openly admit this, but I've tried to combat this myself and I'm just really having a hard time with it. Once I lose interest in a project, it's just so rediculously difficult to continue working on it and not look for something else that excites me.

Thanks.

I am in the same boat, I haven't found the answers yet, but at least you are not alone.
I appreciate you posting this "It's pretty embarrassing to openly admit this", hopefully it'll help to find some answers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.