The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Extreme Ways of Obtaining Accountability.. Any Ideas?

Tyler K

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jul 25, 2014
United States
I have the same problem as you and I think I'm going to use your money idea and take all the money out of my bank account, give it to my mom and if I don't get finished what I need to she keeps it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
I have the same problem as you and I think I'm going to use your money idea and take all the money out of my bank account, give it to my mom and if I don't get finished what I need to she keeps it.

Awesome :) Check out that stickk.com site posted above as well. It's pretty damn cool.

GrensonMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 13, 2014
Texas
I don't know your entire financial situation so bear that in mind when reading the following advice. Please don't read the following as me being mean or harsh.

$1200/month is going to doom you to slowlane, if not sidewalk hell for the rest of your life. That is just enough money to scrape by each month. Do you save any for emergencies? What happens if you get sick for several weeks and can't work?

Here is my suggestion:
Since you find yourself idle during the day and not utilizing your time once you complete your work, go volunteer at a homeless shelter. Really watch the people. Talk to them, find out why they are homeless, ask them questions. If that doesn't scare you into overdrive I don't know what will.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
I don't know your entire financial situation so bear that in mind when reading the following advice. Please don't read the following as me being mean or harsh.

$1200/month is going to doom you to slowlane, if not sidewalk hell for the rest of your life. That is just enough money to scrape by each month. Do you save any for emergencies? What happens if you get sick for several weeks and can't work?

Here is my suggestion:
Since you find yourself idle during the day and not utilizing your time once you complete your work, go volunteer at a homeless shelter. Really watch the people. Talk to them, find out why they are homeless, ask them questions. If that doesn't scare you into overdrive I don't know what will.

Well the thing is that I'm taking steps to making more than $1200/month.. only I'm doing it at the pace of a snail. I know $1200/mo is dooming me to slowlane/sidewalk, but it's just enough to keep me comfortable enough to not panic. I really need to put myself in a position where I have something to lose. Something that I already have that is valuable to me. It can't be "a great life in the future" because I don't have that in my possession.

You're right about not saving for emergencies, but even THAT doesn't light a fire under my a$$. Now, if I knew for sure I was going to get very sick in 3 weeks, I'd do everything I could right now to make sure I have money to live during that time. I need a definite short fuse leading to my doom.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
You got time to play on the forum - you got time to put in some work. You ready for 15 minutes of dedicated work, right now?

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
I suck at fastlane money. But Fear as a motivator is an interesting concept. I guess I have used it before unknowingly. When my dog needed emergency surgery I picked up loads of side jobs. In 2 weeks I went from building a tiny fence in a backyard, to a contractor at Our biggest airport begging me to come do more and more work for them. They even tried to get me to quit my job for more pay. But I was left exhausted and almost single again.
On one hand I think fear is a great theoretical Battery boost.
But on the other hand You need to be willing to stretch your knowledge and skills even at the TOUGHEST of times. or at ANYTIME. Yes I'm a carpenter, Yes mathematically a carpenter can never earn a fast lane lifestyle. But My process from pushing a broom to what I am capable of now came from beating on my craft even on Saturday and Sunday skipping breakfast and lunch because I Knew i was on fire and it was going to push me beyond what I am today. And what I will be tomorrow is my (competitions motivator).... Fear of ME.

I do Like the buddy system you guys are doing though. It's forcing the "stretch"
Dude - do you have enough biz coming your way? I was a painting contractor for a stretch and the single thing that seriously increased my leads was a website optimized by a particular company. Footbridge Media - check them out. I personally guarantee your leads will increase. I am in no way affiliated with these cats. I just know, when I used them my leads went through the roof. Ask for Aaron and tell him Kevin sent you. I

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
You guys finding an accountability partner at the forum is AWESOME. It will be good for all involved.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
what makes u an expert in this field?

400 words means I've typed 400 words of my book, and I finished describing an exercise and started on another one getting halfway done.

I worked as a personal trainer for a while and have been working out/dieting strictly for 7 years. This particular book is about creative ways to workout at home with zero to minimal equipment.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
400 words means I've typed 400 words of my book, and I finished describing an exercise and started on another one getting halfway done.

I worked as a personal trainer for a while and have been working out/dieting strictly for 7 years. This particular book is about creative ways to workout at home with zero to minimal equipment.
Cool. I will be very interested in purchasing this.

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
For me personally, I know where you're coming from. Coming into this summer I decided to quit my job as an assistant store manager at a McDonalds. I figured since I still live at home with my folks and have minimal expenses, I might as well go ahead and quit so I'd have tons more energy and tons of time to pursue my ideas.

Turns out I was also FAR too comfortable. I went all summer without getting anything solid done.
I am going to be launching a direct response product within the next month, but in order to get myself motivated again, I've decided to get a job again at AT&T as a sales rep so that I'm reminded of how much I F*cking hate not having free time and how I despise reporting to a boss.
Also lately I've been really thinking about the legacy I will leave for my family's name. My family is full of humdrum sidewalkians with nauseating dogma flowing from their mouths. None of them have done anything spectacular except working for the man and living boring lives.

F*ck. That.

I want to be able to take care of my mother when she gets up in age, I want to be able to pay for cutting edge medical treatments in the future that might save her life if (God forbid) she should need them.
Yesterday I saw the new Beats Wireless ad featuring LeBron James returning home to his high school in his hometown of Akron, not far from me. They show him lifting weights and going hard in the gym and conjuring up images of when he and his mother were poor and the refrigerator was empty.

Use. That. Shit.

I guess the really important things are:

1. Get another job and immerse yourself in misery for a short while again to get your a$$ moving. Remember how you felt when that alarm went off every F*cking morning.

2. Find something that is so emotionally powerful to you that it almost brings you to tears when you think or talk about it. For me, as I said above, this is the thought of how I promised my mother that I would make her proud and I would always make sure she id taken care of, because GOD KNOWS she kicked a$$ and gave me an amazing childhood for being a single mother.

Find more pain. Find something that shakes you to your core.

Never stop thinking about either of them.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
For me personally, I know where you're coming from. Coming into this summer I decided to quit my job as an assistant store manager at a McDonalds. I figured since I still live at home with my folks and have minimal expenses, I might as well go ahead and quit so I'd have tons more energy and tons of time to pursue my ideas.

Turns out I was also FAR too comfortable. I went all summer without getting anything solid done.
I am going to be launching a direct response product within the next month, but in order to get myself motivated again, I've decided to get a job again at AT&T as a sales rep so that I'm reminded of how much I F*cking hate not having free time and how I despise reporting to a boss.
Also lately I've been really thinking about the legacy I will leave for my family's name. My family is full of humdrum sidewalkians with nauseating dogma flowing from their mouths. None of them have done anything spectacular except working for the man and living boring lives.

F*ck. That.

I want to be able to take care of my mother when she gets up in age, I want to be able to pay for cutting edge medical treatments in the future that might save her life if (God forbid) she should need them.
Yesterday I saw the new Beats Wireless ad featuring LeBron James returning home to his high school in his hometown of Akron, not far from me. They show him lifting weights and going hard in the gym and conjuring up images of when he and his mother were poor and the refrigerator was empty.

Use. That. Shit.

I guess the really important things are:

1. Get another job and immerse yourself in misery for a short while again to get your a$$ moving. Remember how you felt when that alarm went off every F*cking morning.

2. Find something that is so emotionally powerful to you that it almost brings you to tears when you think or talk about it. For me, as I said above, this is the thought of how I promised my mother that I would make her proud and I would always make sure she id taken care of, because GOD KNOWS she kicked a$$ and gave me an amazing childhood for being a single mother.

Find more pain. Find something that shakes you to your core.

Never stop thinking about either of them.

Great post.. thanks for that!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.