The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Extreme Ways of Obtaining Accountability.. Any Ideas?

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
I need a shark chomping at my a$$. I need to be swimming in the ocean at night with the whirling of a monster Great White's tail behind me signaling imminent doom if I don't swim as fast as possible.

My ideas so far:

1. Give a family member or friend a check for $200 and have them cash it if I don't finish my goal by deadline. ($200 is a lot to me right now)

2. Get myself banned from my content writing platforms so I can't make money there anymore, essentially creating a ticking time bomb for my bank account.

The problem with #1 is that it just doesn't feel right to put a family member or friend in that kind of position to take my money.

The problem with #2 is that I could really use those writing platforms for (1) my living expenses and (2) money to spend on things I need for my ventures.

I hate to admit this because I feel like everyone is going to say I'm not fit to be an entrepreneur, but I've simply come to grips with the fact that I just can't motivate myself enough to get things done at a quick enough pace unless there's a shark chomping at my a$$.

3 months ago I moved across the country with little money and went from making $5/hr writing for content mills to the point where I'm now making around $20/hr on average. I had the influence of the shark.

Unfortunately, I only need $1200/month to cover living expenses, which is $40/day. I can get that done so quickly now that I've become too comfortable. I find myself making my $40+ and then half-assing the rest of the day. I'll maybe use 2-3 of my free hours productively, when it should be 8-10.

I've lost the shark, and I need to piss him off and get him after me again.

The results of my own ventures in 3 months? I've released one fitness book. From start to finish it took me 1 month. I could've had it done in a week.

It took me a while to figure out the path I want to take, and I've found it, but it does me little good without the shark chasing me.

I'd only like ideas for the thread topic please without the comments about not wanting it enough. I know I don't want it enough, but I want to MAKE myself want it enough if not make myself NEED it enough.

I've read plenty of self-help books and honestly they sound good at the time, but once I'm done reading them the high is gone and I'm hardly taking more action than before. I NEED EXTERNAL ACCOUNTABILITY.

Thoughts? Ideas?
TLDR:
-I need ways of extreme external accountability.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
A variation and more motivating option to your #1 is to write a check out to an organization that you do NOT want to support. Give it to a friend with the instruction to mail that check if your goal is not reached.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
A variation and more motivating option to your #1 is to write a check out to an organization that you do NOT want to support. Give it to a friend with the instruction to mail that check if your goal is not reached.

That's a good one! I'm going to use this unless someone comes up with something better.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
I am not a fan of the "cash my check if...". Just seems too short term to me. What happens if you don't meet your goal and they cash your check? How do you get motivated for the next goal? I appreciate your post. I struggle with this as well.

It sounds like you got some good writing skills. Maybe reach out to somebody you admire and offer your writing talents for free. In return you may receive some good advice or even a mentor. Don't go into it with the expectation of either but rather just the goal of applying your skill and helping somebody. Guaranteed to, at least, learn something for your efforts. Plus, you are adding value for somebody. Always a good thing. Karma. Good luck.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
I am not a fan of the "cash my check if...". Just seems too short term to me. What happens if you don't meet your goal and they cash your check? How do you get motivated for the next goal? I appreciate your post. I struggle with this as well.

It sounds like you got some good writing skills. Maybe reach out to somebody you admire and offer your writing talents for free. In return you may receive some good advice or even a mentor. Don't go into it with the expectation of either but rather just the goal of applying your skill and helping somebody. Guaranteed to, at least, learn something for your efforts. Plus, you are adding value for somebody. Always a good thing. Karma. Good luck.

That's a good point about the check thing, but if it's a big enough sum of money it would make it so that I CAN'T fail, otherwise I'm screwed. It would force me to stay up all night if need be. The one problem I see is that what if I find out half way through my idea isn't viable or the market I thought I saw isn't there? Then I'm either out of the money or have to convince whoever I gave the check to that I have a good reason for not reaching this goal. There has to be a better way.

And good advice about offering my writing for the chance to learn something or possibly get a mentor. I'd love to hire a coach, but for the amount of accountability I would want, I wouldn't have enough to pay someone for that service.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
That's a good point about the check thing, but if it's a big enough sum of money it would make it so that I CAN'T fail, otherwise I'm screwed. It would force me to stay up all night if need be. The one problem I see is that what if I find out half way through my idea isn't viable or the market I thought I saw isn't there? Then I'm either out of the money or have to convince whoever I gave the check to that I have a good reason for not reaching this goal. There has to be a better way.

And good advice about offering my writing for the chance to learn something or possibly get a mentor. I'd love to hire a coach, but for the amount of accountability I would want, I wouldn't have enough to pay someone for that service.

Do you currently make a list of action items for the next day, week, month? It is an unbelievable sense of accomplishment when you make that simple check mark of completion for each item. Full disclosure: I currently don't do this and I know I should? So, why don't I do this? I've done it in the past and experienced great results. I just don't understand myself sometimes. I know this is about you but I think we are similar in this regards.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Do you currently make a list of action items for the next day, week, month? It is an unbelievable sense of accomplishment when you make that simple check mark of completion for each item. Full disclosure: I currently don't do this and I know I should? So, why don't I do this? I've done it in the past and experienced great results. I just don't understand myself sometimes. I know this is about you but I think we are similar in this regards.

Funny you mention that.. I had a calendar taped to my wall and would check off every day that I did what I was supposed to.. wrote out all my goals, etc. Now I'm not doing that, and I know I should, just as you said. I write my goals on a whiteboard, but the checkmark schedule is gone, and as I stare at my whiteboard right now I've got a couple things left on there that I said I would do.

If I had a pressing problem I think I would have my checkmark schedule up there. Right now I just don't care enough to do it, or am too lazy. I really do hate calling myself lazy. I guess the only time I'm not lazy is when I have no choice but to take action. I've always been that way with school and everything.

Before when I was doing all the checkmarks and such, I was motivated to do so because I wasn't making enough money to cover my living expenses, so I was in a race against time. I won that race, but now there's not a new race for me. I've got to make one.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
OK. I challenge you to sign off this forum and any other non action taking internet shit - right now. For just 15 minutes - spend it on something you know you should. Start at 12:30 and report back afterwards. I'll do the same. You game?

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
OK. I challenge you to sign off this forum and any other non action taking internet shit - right now. For just 15 minutes - spend it on something you know you should. Start at 12:30 and report back afterwards. I'll do the same. You game?
Yup... talk to you at 12:45

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
The problem with #1 is that it just doesn't feel right to put a family member or friend in that kind of position to take my money.

Don't put a family member in that position when you have me. I will happily take your money ;)

Jokes aside, try this for today https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...why-i-will-never-give-up-until-success.56093/

It's not extreme, but will help move your bottom.
And definitely take a 30 min break every 2 hours of work because otherwise
your brain will want to escape and start getting distracted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Ok done. It was a flawless 15 minutes. I was motivated by not looking like a loser. I couldn't come here and say I didn't do anything and I'm not just going to lie on a forum about being productive. I felt accountable to something.
Don't put a family member in that position when you have me. I will happily take your money ;)

Jokes aside, try this for today https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...why-i-will-never-give-up-until-success.56093/

It's not extreme, but will help move your bottom.
And definitely take a 30 min break every 2 hours of work because otherwise
your brain will want to escape and start getting distracted.

I've done that twice. The list is under my bed. I'm not sure why it doesn't motivate me. I look at all of it, and it all seems so nice to have, but in this case I'm just not motivated by benefits, it's really weird. I'm extremely disciplined when it comes to working out, though I'm not sure how my motivation started. I think a lack of respect. I can tell you that now my motivation for working out comes from fear of losing everything I've gained. I can't imagine myself losing all the muscle I've worked for. I wouldn't be me.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Ok done. It was a flawless 15 minutes. I was motivated by not looking like a loser. I couldn't come here and say I didn't do anything and I'm not just going to lie on a forum about being productive. I felt accountable to something.

I've done that twice. The list is under my bed. I'm not sure why it doesn't motivate me. I look at all of it, and it all seems so nice to have, but in this case I'm just not motivated by benefits, it's really weird. I'm extremely disciplined when it comes to working out, though I'm not sure how my motivation started. I think a lack of respect. I can tell you that now my motivation for working out comes from fear of losing everything I've gained. I can't imagine myself losing all the muscle I've worked for. I wouldn't be me.

Piss poor answer. What did you accomplish in those 15 minutes? Yep - I am calling you out. But, I want to thank you because what I got accomplished in these 15 - 30 minutes has been a 2 to 3 week procrastinating period for me.

In the last 20 or so minutes:
- Added more dimensions to my prototype drawing

- Completed my NDA and scanned it to my pc. Now, I’ve got an easy attachment when talking with potential suppliers

- Drafting my email template to use for initial consultation with potential suppliers

- Creating a “to do” checklist – not done yet

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Piss poor answer. What did you accomplish in those 15 minutes? Yep - I am calling you out. But, I want to thank you because what I got accomplished in these 15 - 30 minutes has been a 2 to 3 week procrastinating period for me.

In the last 20 or so minutes:
- Added more dimensions to my prototype drawing

- Completed my NDA and scanned it to my pc. Now, I’ve got an easy attachment when talking with potential suppliers

- Drafting my email template to use for initial consultation with potential suppliers

- Creating a “to do” checklist – not done yet
Nice.. lots of stuff there!

Oops forgot.. my accomplishment isn't very exciting. Typed 500 words for my next book. Got 1.5 exercises done. Wrote description of exercise, how to perform, how to incorporate into different types of workouts, how to make them easier, how to make them harder.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Nice.. lots of stuff there!

Oops forgot.. my accomplishment isn't very exciting. Typed 500 words for my next book. Got 1.5 exercises done. Wrote description of exercise, how to perform, how to incorporate into different types of workouts, how to make them easier, how to make them harder.

All in just 15 minutes. Another challenge. Let's do this every night - just 15 minutes and report back. And let's keep this public if everybody is cool with that. This place has a strange but good way for accountability. Sorry, but what is your goal? To create a book? Im developing a product.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
All in just 15 minutes. Another challenge. Let's do this every night - just 15 minutes and report back. And let's keep this public if everybody is cool with that. This place has a strange but good way for accountability. Sorry, but what is your goal? To create a book? Im developing a product.

I pm'd you.. I'd like to do this for more than 15 minutes a day :)

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
I pm'd you.. I'd like to do this for more than 15 minutes a day :)

Agreed, but just the commitment of 15 minutes a day is a huge improvement for me. Let's stick with that for a week and go from there. Cool? My time window for this is between 11p and 2a. Does that work for you? Anybody else want to join? You are more then welcome. Bottom line - we are talking about taking action for just 15 minutes a day. Hell - I burn that just watching sports center.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Agreed, but just the commitment of 15 minutes a day is a huge improvement for me. Let's stick with that for a week and go from there. Cool? My time window for this is between 11p and 2a. Does that work for you? Anybody else want to join? You are more then welcome. Bottom line - we are talking about taking action for just 15 minutes a day. Hell - I burn that just watching sports center.

I'm in bed by 12:00 your time, tonight being the rare exception. I assume that's ET? If so, I can do 11.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I can tell you that now my motivation for working out comes from fear of losing everything I've gained. I can't imagine myself losing all the muscle I've worked for. I wouldn't be me.

Let me tell you from losing everything, is fear, procrastination, and depending on other people to hold you accountable and holding your hand along the way. If you hold on to this thought, and don't make change in yourself, this will happen. And when it does, it will motivate you to make the changes. When you lose everything it's your emotional attachment to materialism and money that prevents you from succeeding because you fear losing it. When you lose it, you have nothing left to fear, you're only choice is to succeed. It's a lesson you're signing up for, because you're not fearless.

One thing I've learned in life is that no one's going to hold you accountable or motivate you in life, but yourself. I used to struggle with that, no one cares whether you succeed or not in the U.S. It's and individualistic society. It's about money and themselves. Relationships are not valued no matter what social class you're in.

I've learned this for four years. I don't depend on anyone to get me where I want to be, because I know they're not going to follow through. The only people that really follow through are leaders that choose to help you, talk the talk and walk the walk. Which are probably 1% of the world. That's just realistic! And they've already said this in this forum multiple times.

Your writing platform is your accountability, those people that count on you to be that leader and follow through with what you say. You have to walk your walk and talk your talk. Find yourself a mentor that does just that, produces results and follows through with helping others. Sure, they're out there, but you'll find a hard time finding one. You have to hang out in a place where they're like minded as you, have the same principles, values, morals, and ethics. And in the end perhaps you find out you don't need a leader, but to be a leader yourself over your own life.

There's very few people that truly are great leaders in the world and produce change and results, and I've seen plenty of them in my journey. They produce results in ten weeks or less and still there after you move on if you need to go back to ask a question. It seems harsh, but you have to depend on you, stand up for yourself, and get yourself there. Do with what tools, resources, you have at the time. Use a timer if you need too, a schedule with alerts, while it's nice to have support, it's not always going to be there 24/7 and this is where people get into trouble. Depending on someone else to give them the answers and give them support. If you want be a millionaire, that's the one thing you won't get from most of the population.

It's better to sit around and watch you and do nothing to help you, because they feel that way you can't pass them in life, and you won't become more than them. Create your own reality, and world. Basically, you'll have more people sabotage your progress. What's in it for them if you succeed? Absolutely nothing. They don't make a dime off you succeeding. They don't get to feel in power and control. They can't manipulate you, they can't play mind games. They lose, because you got smarter than them, and actually did something with your life that had purpose and meaningful. They aren't worried about accountability. They don't even know what it is, and those that do, say it, but don't follow through because they have their own agenda and motivation to be successful. You may even be their competition.

Everyone time someone doesn't help you, and hold you accountable, is your motivation, because you are better than them. It's getting the right mindset and mental toughness, when you get it right in your head, nothing will stop you. That's the first thing you have to overcome is your thoughts, feelings, and emotions.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013

No no no, don't just read the one you have under your bed. Write a new one. And don't just write the same thing, be creative.

Our mind works against us, unless we get it in our side. You got your mind in your side for workout.

And you can join the 24 hour challenge (accountability) here: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/the-24-hour-challenge.55659/

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
Basically, create an alternative so bad that it makes completing your goal the easier option.

If $200 is a lot to you, write a check for $1,000.
Take a picture of yourself posing naked.
Write a letter that reveals your biggest insecurity.

Instead of giving it to a friend, give it to a notary with instructions to mail the check/picture/letter to someone you don't want to get it if you don't show proof of completing a goal by a certain date.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
The thing is losing money such as $200, even writing down a list, for some reason won't really motivate a person. I've seen people do this and they don't follow through, lose the money and other things, the list goes in the garbage, and they are still in the same place. The motivating factor is something that is threatening to your success. This is why people keep with the same bad habits until something happens or someone lays down an ultimatum and than they choose to act because the pain is greater than not doing something about it. It depends on what you want to learn here. What thoughts are stopping you? Excuses? What same mistakes are you repeating? What habits have you not shed? Are you scared of success? We can procrastinate simply because we're afraid of being successful. Get to the root of what's really going on versus, writing a list and giving someone else $200 because, unless you do some self-reflection and dig deeper those two things aren't going to work.

Last edited:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Basically, create an alternative so bad that it makes completing your goal the easier option.

If $200 is a lot to you, write a check for $1,000.
Take a picture of yourself posing naked.
Write a letter that reveals your biggest insecurity.

Instead of giving it to a friend, give it to a notary with instructions to mail the check/picture/letter to someone you don't want to get it if you don't show proof of completing a goal by a certain date.
Brilliant. Did you do something like this in your mastermind group @wade1mil?

BTW, great to see you posting again!

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
Brilliant. Did you do something like this in your mastermind group @wade1mil?

We set monetary punishments of $50 for not hitting weekly goals.
That isn't much for some people, so the amount has to be something that scares you.
You shouldn't think, "Man, I hope I don't lose this money."
You should think, "Oh shit, I can't believe I just wrote a check for X. What was I thinking? What do I have to do right now to get this done so the check isn't cashed."

I had a goal I really wanted to accomplish a few weeks ago.
Something that I have feared my entire life and haven't made any progress on.
My plan was to write someone a check for 55% of my net worth, which is more than $50.
I decided instead to just do it without writing the check, and I never ended up doing it.
I should have wrote the check.

I got the other ideas from a TV show called "Nathan For You" which I don't really recommend unless you like very awkward comedy.

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
I suck at fastlane money. But Fear as a motivator is an interesting concept. I guess I have used it before unknowingly. When my dog needed emergency surgery I picked up loads of side jobs. In 2 weeks I went from building a tiny fence in a backyard, to a contractor at Our biggest airport begging me to come do more and more work for them. They even tried to get me to quit my job for more pay. But I was left exhausted and almost single again.
On one hand I think fear is a great theoretical Battery boost.
But on the other hand You need to be willing to stretch your knowledge and skills even at the TOUGHEST of times. or at ANYTIME. Yes I'm a carpenter, Yes mathematically a carpenter can never earn a fast lane lifestyle. But My process from pushing a broom to what I am capable of now came from beating on my craft even on Saturday and Sunday skipping breakfast and lunch because I Knew i was on fire and it was going to push me beyond what I am today. And what I will be tomorrow is my (competitions motivator).... Fear of ME.

I do Like the buddy system you guys are doing though. It's forcing the "stretch"

InstantNoodles

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Nov 1, 2014
Giving money to a charity you hate - that sounds like stickk.com. Check it out.

Maybe you need a co-founder of some sort?

I am also using content farms like textbroker. I'm only getting roughly $5/hr. How are you getting $20hr?

Last edited:

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Giving money to a charity you hate - that sounds like stickk.com. Check it out.

Maybe you need a co-founder of some sort?

I am also using content farms like textbroker. I'm only getting roughly $5/hr. How are you getting $20hr?

I started on TB. I think they are great for people just starting out because there's constant work, and it's a good place to develop writing skills. At level 4 you make 1.4c/word, which I was able to turn into $8-10/hr as I got better. However, I now write exclusively on WriterAccess. They rarely have any jobs on the open board like Textbroker does. You have to take advantage of the few opportunities you get and obtain regular clients. I started at level 3 on WriterAccess, which is like 2.2c/word I think? I got bumped up to level 4 in like a month which pays at least 3.7c/word.

WriterAccess has a much higher barrier to entry, but they actually pay attention to writers and rate their work. I feel like it's nearly impossible to become a 5-star writer on TB because they still have rated assignments that I did over 3 months ago. They really seem to not give a shit about their writers.

InstantNoodles

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Nov 1, 2014
Thanks for the post jackeeck. Right now I'm using TB, trying to use Zerys (not much work for someone ranked 3 stars) and odesk. I have 1 private client who likes my stuff. I just research and write about entrepreneurship for him. Sweet deal because I get to learn about entrepreneurship, improve my writing and get paid. Ahhh the beauty of freelance writing :)

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Thanks for the post jackeeck. Right now I'm using TB, trying to use Zerys (not much work for someone ranked 3 stars) and odesk. I have 1 private client who likes my stuff. I just research and write about entrepreneurship for him. Sweet deal because I get to learn about entrepreneurship, improve my writing and get paid. Ahhh the beauty of freelance writing :)

Exactly, you develop such a useful skill and you get paid for it, and you can learn about some cool stuff depending on what you write about.

Btw, stickk.com is awesome. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.