The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Don't be me: a tale of giving up too early.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
I came across this image on my Facebook feed today.

I had this idea 3 years ago - the company on the Outer Banks featured in the post was the first I pitched to. I was basically told to get the **** out of their flight school. I pitched 2 more companies and quit the idea, thinking that no flight school/rental company wanted it, even though I knew it would be popular with pilots.

Almost as soon as I quit, this company (OpenAirplane) came along and executed better than I did. To see this update in my FB feed was a slap in the face and a wake up call.

Don't stop executing too early. Don't let fear consume you. Don't get discouraged by the first couple of "no's". If you have a solid concept, borne from a personal frustration and validated by some portion of your market, see the idea through. Don't quit too early like I did, only to see an ad/update/post a few years later about how another company is crushing your idea.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-13-18-12-54.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-13-18-12-54.png
    604.8 KB · Views: 213
G

GuestUser113

@GlobalWealth explained to Jaimie Tardy at eventual millionaire that he went to 60 - 70 stores before one finally said yes.

http://eventualmillionaire.com/millionaire-story-bobby-casey/

JT: That’s what I was going to ask you about. Like how did you pull it away from this other company that had already been there doing it. But you went to 60 stores and got like no from all of them and finally got a yes.

BC: Yes. I can’t remember exactly, it was at least 60 stores I went to before I finally found one that said, yeah, yeah, okay we’ll hire you, how much do you charge? I undercut because I knew what they were charging and just like anybody else, that’s what you do when you don’t know how to really…

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Don't let fear consume you. Don't get discouraged by the first couple of "no's". If you have a solid concept, borne from a personal frustration and validated by some portion of your market, see the idea through

Couldn't agree more.
No's should be like water off a ducks back, because if the idea is good, people will refuse it out of spite because they couldn't think of it or find it hard to connect the dots you did.

Always expect resistance. Always move it through the full ten yards.
I'm making some pushes towards a stationary product I think can sell big.
The trouble is as always "we have thousands of like products and people are fine!".
But still... I'm intruiged, so why stop?
It might just be a big return... Once you get past the squeeze.

Jinxus

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jul 23, 2013
NYC
I've read threads like this before where people give up on their idea, later to find someone else executing it.

The general consensus is that this is not the end. You're still actively giving up by not pursuing it. OpenAirplane only validates, that yes, there is a need for your idea. Learn from their mistakes. OpenAirplane is saving you the effort of making the mistakes and losing money yourself.

It's never too late.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thread moved and renamed. Thanks for sharing. I think everyone of us who thinks like entrepreneurs have had this happen at least once.

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
yju1xPo.jpg

Wuz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Nov 16, 2013
The race isn´t over.

You can still considered implementing your own idea. See what they do best, see what they re lacking in execution, and go do better.

Same product/service, different market.

garysvpa

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jul 23, 2014
I came across this image on my Facebook feed today.

I had this idea 3 years ago - the company on the Outer Banks featured in the post was the first I pitched to. I was basically told to get the **** out of their flight school. I pitched 2 more companies and quit the idea, thinking that no flight school/rental company wanted it, even though I knew it would be popular with pilots.

Almost as soon as I quit, this company (OpenAirplane) came along and executed better than I did. To see this update in my FB feed was a slap in the face and a wake up call.

Don't stop executing too early. Don't let fear consume you. Don't get discouraged by the first couple of "no's". If you have a solid concept, borne from a personal frustration and validated by some portion of your market, see the idea through. Don't quit too early like I did, only to see an ad/update/post a few years later about how another company is crushing your idea.

Thanks for sharing.

It's never too late. You can still create a new and unique idea. After all, you have already proven your worth.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Thanks for sharing.

It's never too late. You can still create a new and unique idea. After all, you have already proven your worth.
Have a few irons in the fire and doing quite well-just wanted to let people know that failure to see your concept through can lead to what I experienced. Don't get discouraged by a few failures, especially if your underlying concept is solid.

garysvpa

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jul 23, 2014
Have a few irons in the fire and doing quite well-just wanted to let people know that failure to see your concept through can lead to what I experienced. Don't get discouraged by a few failures, especially if your underlying concept is solid.

I agree with you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.