The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you rather work on your business or do you rather sleep?

Do you give up sleep to be successfull?

• Yes

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • No

Votes: 27 57.4%

• Total voters

Clenrock

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Oct 14, 2014

Here is one of the best motivation videos.

He tells that when you want to be successfull, you have to give up sleeping. But what I was thinking is that you need a lot of sleep to be productive!

My question to you is: Do you give up some sleep everyday to be successfull? Or will you get successfull when you sleep enough everyday?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
I don't think you should force yourself to lose sleep for something, listen to what your body wants.
Sometimes you're too excited to want to sleep, that's when you should lose sleep, again listen to your body.

Tlcalis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 25, 2012
Yea definately
I have a personal good rule of thumb that if you can go 2 days without sleep and still be full of energy and passion that's can be a sign that you're alive not a dead body

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2014
You need sleep. People who think that sleeping is too passive to be part of your success just don't understand the importance of sleep to your physical and mental health.

Back in the Korean War (early 1950s) there were a number of Americans who had been captured in combat who were brainwashed into a complete turnaround in their core beliefs. They were used as propaganda spokesmen for the enemy. After the war, the government spent truckloads of tax dollars unraveling what exactly the Chinese and Koreans had done to effect such complete control, which has since been declassified. What method had they used to completely break these men's minds? Was it drugs? Was it hypnotism? No. The base technique was sleep deprivation. That cracked them so completely that the 'rebuild' of their new personalities was basic coaching.

I saw a close personal friend have a psychotic episode that was brought on by sleep deprivation. That isn't my opinion of what happened, that is what the professionals who were paid a shit-ton of money to help him told us. After about a week with little sleep that was always interrupted in an hour or less, he snapped into a world of his own making that was not what you or I would identify as "reality." I'm not saying his mental health was perfect before the incident. It wasn't, but sleep deprivation tipped him from eccentric but stable to certified psychosis.

There is a world of difference between getting as much sleep as you want or need and just lounging around being lazy. If your hanging out in your jammies smoking a bong and playing video games all day, you won't be productive. If you sleep 9 or 10 hours out of 24 and take action with the remaining hours, then screw anybody who says that you should sleep less to make more time. That's just not so.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Just a little warning:

I sacrificed a lot of my health to get to the point where I am. I didn't sleep for days at times, I didn't eat, and all that I did was work. All it took was one small cold to get me sick because my body was too tired to deal with it..I developed an auto immune thing that over the last two years has cost me 20k in medical bills and now I'm probably on medicine for the rest of my life. If I don't take my meds then I get really sick within 2-3 days, it's not fun. My medicine even gets me sick at times. I blame myself for not taking better care of myself.

Sleep. Eat right. Exercise. Brush your teeth. Clean behind your ears. You don't want to enjoy your Fastlane riches in a wheelchair someday.

Don't get me wrong. Eric Thomas has a great message. I even read his book. But you have to draw the line somewhere and take care of yourself.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
My question to you is: Do you give up some sleep everyday to be successfull? Or will you get successfull when you sleep enough everyday?
No, I don't.
Getting enough sleep is key to a healthy body. If you are not healthy it's so much harder to be successful and you can't enjoy your success to the fullest anyway so what's the point of that. Getting not enough sleep can cause so many health problems. You can google "sleep deprivation effects" and get your own opinion if it's worth it.

BTW not getting enough sleep is one of the worst things you can do for your productivity.

Don't take "If you want to be successfull, you have to give up sleeping" literally. All it means is in order to be successful someone has to give it ones all. So stop wasting time = watching TV / playing video games / "chill" with friends. But sleeping less than 6−8 hours a day is contradictory.

ps: Andrew Carnegie the richest self made man of all time (309 billion net worth!!) after John D. Rockefeller slept 8 hours a day and emphasized the importance of getting enough sleep. Also, a lot of high achiever like Thomas Edison took daily naps to increase their productivity.

So don't cut on your sleep unless you are sleeping more than 8 hours a day.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
There was a discussion back in May 2014 where this topic was involved. Allow me to cut and paste my comments here...

"Most of you don't want success as much as you want to sleep. I'm here to tell you that if you want success you got to be willing to give up sleep. You've got to be willing to work off of 3 hours of sleep, 2 hours of sleep. If you really want to be successful, sometimes you're going to have to stay up 3 days in a row. Because if you go to sleep you might miss the opportunity to be successful." - Eric Thomas

I think we all understand the point Eric Thomas was making.

There are a lot of moving parts to a business machine. I certainly don't mean to imply that if you only sleep 2, 3 or 4 hours a day you'll automatically become successful. That's ridiculous.

Lots of small pieces make up a large puzzle. I don't care how many hours of sleep you get or don't get, if you are working off a faulty business model you'll fail. If you are trying to sell a product or service people don't want, you'll fail. If you don't care about providing true value and are just chasing money, you'll ultimately fail. I could go on and on.

However I will say I'm fortunate to have a circle of friends that enjoy varying degrees of success and I want to point out a common thread.

One person's business is still in its infancy but experiencing a lot of growth. Last month alone this business generated over $3 million in revenues. Do you honestly think he sleeps till 11am and only works 4 hours a day?

Another is generating mid to high 5 figures per month. I know most days he works on his business at least 14 hours a day.

Do you think @MJ DeMarco, while building and growing limos.com, slept in till 11am and only put in 4 hours?

Another is laying the foundation to build a billion dollar business that will disrupt a major industry. He's not an 8 hour sleeper and certainly not a 4 hour worker.

Sacrifice in the short term to enjoy the long term.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
depends on what needs to get done.

sometimes yes. and most times no.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
It's not a binary thing.

If you're not stupid, and have a system in place to manage your time, you can work 12 hours a day, see friends & family, exercise, and still sleep well.

Avus

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Jun 18, 2013
I say work until you cannot function correctly. Then sleep.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
one can sleep 6-7 hours and work the rest, that should work also?

Yasai

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 26, 2014
Even if (unhealthy levels of) sleep-deprivation would "boost" my performance, I wouldn't do it.
I'll achieve my goals eventually anyway. It's inevitable. So there's no need to put the mind and body that have been given to me at risk.
Just not worth it. I won't allow something as childish as impatience or "desire for fast/instant gratification" or "scarcity thinking" to dictate my health.

Staying up a couple of hours longer to work on stuff I'm passionate about? Sure. Already doing that. That's sane, safe and effective.
Staying up for days for no other reason than to "get there slightly faster"? Nope.ppt

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
I don't buy the notion of "lose sleep for success", it sounds like a dumb plan for any goal you might have. I'll succeed and sleep like a baby at night, if you can't sleep then you can't call yourself successful. However I know people have different values and I value my health before success because the latter has no value by itself.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
If you ask anyone who is older, they will say they value their sleep. When you are young, you can function on little sleep. I used to get 5-6 hours a night when I worked for the man. Now I get 8-10 hours a night. I never felt that I sacrificed sleep to work on my business. The truth is that the business was fun and exciting to work on, so it was easy to work into the night on it.

BTW, one thing I've found is that the way you feel during the day has as much to do with what you eat as how long you sleep.

Wuz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Nov 16, 2013
IMO, What you have to sacrifice will depend on your circumstances, what you have at your disposal, what you know and the people you will know along the way, that can be a valuable leverage to your business. If you will sacrifice sleep , is up to you and your situation in life.

It may as well depend on how fast you want it or how many people are able to take you out of business if you don´t move fast.

Other thing.

I´m start seeing a pattern in people that really get what they want. I saw it before, but i´m seeing with more clarity now.

They really make sacrifices. They dont use the word "sacrifice" to describe their process just to appear cool and remarkable. Just look to their background.

For the people that say its possible to go out every week , sleep 8h , have fun and do other things and still get to a certain point in business.

It may be possible , but only sporadically.

Business is tough.

DST

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Nov 19, 2013
Norway
He tells that when you want to be successfull, you have to give up sleeping.
I always cringe at these 'gurus' giving the one magic ingredient to success that worked for them and they think is universal.

Most people would likely benefit more by having a better time-management and working more efficient rather than just sleeping less.

After prolonged periods of little sleep I get easily sick and feel lethargic.
Health > wealth

TheNextTrump

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 7, 2012
Omaha, NE.
I wouldn't say I (give-up) sleep to become successful, but I've given up sleeping longer than 8 hours, at this point of my process anything over 8 isn't necessary.

I average 6-8.

Which leaves me 16-18 hours a day to do what ever is needed to gain progress. Plenty of time.

Clenrock

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Oct 14, 2014
Thanks everyone for your replies!

I think I'll just keep sleeping 8 hours every night! :embarrased:

IGSKnox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 8, 2015
Knoxville,Tn

Here is one of the best motivation videos.

He tells that when you want to be successfull, you have to give up sleeping. But what I was thinking is that you need a lot of sleep to be productive!

Sometimes you HAVE to! Even before Eric Thomas came on the scene, I cant tell you how many times ive spent, up till 1-2am then wake back up at 6, its all about sacrafice, thats what seperates the Men ffrom the boys!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I sleep 5-8 hours, and like Luffy said, listen to your body. Your body will tell you when it's time to rest. I did read a study maybe a year ago, they did some experiments on sleeping, and yes, if someone's waking you up in many times in a certain stage, you can become a violent person. They stopped doing the experiment because people were getting to the point of harming themselves or someone else.

I think it depends on the person. Everyone's brains are wired different, and in the military they do push the Navy seals at least to stay awake for days. So, to say everyone trips out, is not necessarily true, but may be the right person with the right brain can have a psychotic episode.

G

GuestUser139

I would say it depends. When the momentum starts flowing it's easy to forget about time. Especially when you work with online stuff. I've had times I worked 'till the morning hours without really realising it. Then when I start dosing off I just go to bed. Interestingly enough I don't feel bad from that type of "missing-sleep". But when I miss sleep a day because I was up watching movies or partying I sometimes feel bad.

*bad as in ill or like the body doesn't function as well as I want

IGSKnox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 8, 2015
Knoxville,Tn
I would say it depends. When the momentum starts flowing it's easy to forget about time. Especially when you work with online stuff. I've had times I worked 'till the morning hours without really realising it. Then when I start dosing off I just go to bed. Interestingly enough I don't feel bad from that type of "missing-sleep". But when I miss sleep a day because I was up watching movies or partying I sometimes feel bad.

*bad as in ill or like the body doesn't function as well as I want
I agree 100% missing sleep to party or watch tv is a huge waste, in order to get things done, sometimes ya gotta miss sleep

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Woke up an hour ago... after only 3 hours sleep. Launching new product today (which many existing customers are anticipating) and have a million things still left to do before this weekend is over.

I must be crazy...

and not value my health.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
He tells that when you want to be successful, you have to give up sleeping.

bullshit_everywhere-e1345505471862[1].jpeg

Sleep as much as you feel relaxed. And then work with a true focus, be truly productive.
In certain cases yes, you may have to give up sleep completely for a day or two and compensate later.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Bed at 10pm up at 5am. That is 7 hours in bed. If you cannot get enough work done between 5am and 10pm then you've got problems that have nothing to do with getting too much sleep.

Too little sleep ultimately leads to ill health, poor performance, inability to concentrate and impairment of your decision making processes.

If the human body did not require sleep in order for us to function we would have learned to do without it thousands of years ago.

Last edited:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

Toushi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Aug 3, 2013
10 hours of unfocused, sluggish work with 4 hours of downtime is not the same as 8 hours of fully focused work meeting all daily projects and objectives. Miss an hour or two of sleep because too many tasks, sure. Sleep deprivation, nope.

Last edited:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Bed at 10pm up at 5am. That is 7 hours in bed. If you cannot get enough work done between 5am and 10pm then you've got problems that have nothing to do with getting too much sleep.

Too little sleep ultimately leads to ill health, poor performance, inability to concentrate and impairment of your decisions making processes.

If the human body did not require sleep in order for us to function we would have learned to do without it thousands of years ago.
Again, I am not suggesting a consistent lack of sleep. 3 hours of sleep every day for any extended period of time is not good and in fact can be harmful. You won't see me post about only getting 3 hours sleep very often. I'm certainly not advocating sleep deprivation.

I'm sure that can be confirmed Allen. ;)
It has, lol.

View attachment 8909

Sleep as much as you feel relaxed. And then work with a true focus, be truly productive.
In certain cases yes, you may have to give up sleep completely for a day or two and compensate later.
Cute meme.

I wonder how many people worth multiple 7 figures and up would say they've never sleep less than 6-7 hours while building their businesses?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.