The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Diary of Opening A New Business

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
Jack those cubicals are more than i thought. Im sure if you look around craigslist for a while you will be able to get a steal. Especially now with most offices hurting, even ebay.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Oh I would never by new cubicles, I have found many, they are just a pain in the neck to move and set up... $$$ I hate spending, but I must.

Boo Blizzi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 3, 2009
thanx for the update jack...i have been anticipating ur posts...we're getting a real birds eye view of the growing pains associated with growing a business in this rough economy and its insightful as well as motivational...it has me thinking whats the best to invest 15k for those type of potential returns?

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Quick Update:

Everything is going good, no worries.

Look's like something else I am working on (different product, but same kind of deal) is working out even better, So very busy.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
Nice. thanx for the update.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Moved into a new (well new for me office) 1,700 sq feet office today. Bought 10 "matching" cubicles yesterday.

I am so sick of looking at furniture that does not match.

Wanted to move into a 3,400 sq footer, but they leased it right out from under me, Well not really, I am on a month to month and the new people signed for two years, so I can understand. and besides I just saved myself 4k over the 90 days in rent. Vanity has its price, but no need to over spend on wasted space.

Hoping to be out of this office in 90 days or less, to something more suitable. If not, then I am not reaching my sales goals.

Going well.. Will keep you all posted.

Plus I have decided that I think I am going to go for 25 million in sales in year 2. So I got's a ton of work to do.

I really hope this turns into one of those, wow, he started that kind of deals.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Man, your updates make me itchy!!!!

I keep scratching my head thinking on what business you are running.

Your story is very inspirational. Thanks for your updates.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Man, your updates make me itchy!!!!

I keep scratching my head thinking on what business you are running.

Your story is very inspirational. Thanks for your updates.

Get used to scratching... :)

Actually.. It is to simple of an idea. People will think it is way to easy to duplicate but it isn't.

I am not re-inventing the wheel.

If I remember to take some pics tomorrow, I will post them up..

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
Wow. Forget about the industry, im scratching my head wondering how you could get so far starting with such limited capital. If you do 25 mil in sales in the second year i will stop everything im doing and come work for you for 1 year for free, so maybe that is some more incentive to reach that number.

And as far as the business goes, give it up already we all know your the P90X guy.

In all seriousness though this makes me realize i am not being productive at all, im going to have trouble sleeping tonight knowing there are people out there like you. Im going to be up at 5am starting tomorrow and that is my new start time.

Infinity

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 2, 2009
Reading this post is making me feel like a bum, thanks for the inspiration!

Get the pics up ASAP please! :icon_super:

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Wow, only read a couple posts atm but wow. You really got it together. Hopefully I can get there soon.

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Sorry, no can do, That last thing I would want is a entrepreneur joining and learning exactly what we are doing.

As I said before, we are not reinventing the wheel here.. Just found a niche.

I have no problem with competition, I just don't want to train the competition.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
If your service is local, and you are testing/proving the concept, maybe a franchise approach makes sense.

Heck, if I know you have a proven market, and have $15K and time ready to invest, I would give you that money and use your system, and share the profits with you, instead of trying to start from scratch with an unproven system.

There are thousands of peoples/areas ready to jump on an opportunity like this, instead of paying $100K+ for an "old" franchise...

anyway, I don't want to distract you from your goals...

Blu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Feb 5, 2011
Hey Jack,
awesome update, few questions.

How many employees do you have now?
What is your employee turnover like?

You seem to move office quite often, do you stick around the same area, if not are you loosing employees because of the new location?

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
How many employees do you have now?
What is your employee turnover like?

You seem to move office quite often, do you stick around the same area, if not are you loosing employees because of the new location?

We have 7 right now, the plan is to have 15 by the end of the month.

At the beginning, we had a lot of problems with people showing up, staying, but I attribute that to the amateur hour feel of the office and not having our crap together, i.e. I am making this up as I go along. Most people hate the trial and error.

But we have a good crew to build off of now.

As for sticking around the same area, the first move was to one side of the first office, and now this move to the bigger office on the other side. Within 80 days (if we meet our goals) I plan on moving up to 3,500 sq feet.

Which is kind of cool because in the building we are in we would have half a floor, which sounds neat to say.

"We have half the floor"

Even though it is a dump small building.

Tony71

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Mar 21, 2011
Irvine, CA
That is understandable. Will be following your posts.

Thanks..

Sorry, no can do, That last thing I would want is a entrepreneur joining and learning exactly what we are doing.

As I said before, we are not reinventing the wheel here.. Just found a niche.

I have no problem with competition, I just don't want to train the competition.

Blu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Feb 5, 2011
Jack,
what is to stop one of your employees stealing your idea and setting up on their own?

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Jack,
what is to stop one of your employees stealing your idea and setting up on their own?

Anyone of them can steal the idea. That is the risk you take. But inviting someone in that wants to be part of the "fastlane" I bet ups the odds.

Thank heaven for us 99% of people out there just want to get paid and go home.

Kinsey6287

Blazin Fast!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 2, 2009
Wow! 25mil, from a 15k starting investment. Holy Cow! You are the man! I would love to know what business this is!

Maybe just a hint???

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Can't you make them sign a NDA or non-compete letter? Or do you not even want to bother with that?

Wouldn't bother. There was a time 20 years ago where I can say that almost every new store in town was someone that worked for me, hell I even financed some of them. Even though I am starting out with very little, it is all in the deals. Which most people fail at.

Wow! 25mil, from a 15k starting investment. Holy Cow! You are the man! I would love to know what business this is!

Maybe just a hint???

I am not the man yet, in a year I can be on the street corner begging for some change, you never know. It is all talk until the sales #'s come in.

Hint: Let's see.. I sell something that is bought by someone.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.