The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Diary of a Lean Startup

ubiquitous

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Sep 13, 2012
In the spirit of JackEdwards I'm going to use The Fastlane Forum as my way to give back and hopefully motivate those who are sitting on the sidelines wondering "when".

My background:
Full-time Internet professional since 2005, but I spent the entire time self-employed where my income was predicated on my personal labor. So this is my first true "fastlane" venture. Typical mid-twenties something internet engineer, who I am isn't going to be nearly as important as what I create so...

The startup:
Last summer I came across someone who I was personally made aware of that makes nearly all of his money in online direct response marketing (and he was in the millions). His niches were pretty massive and I realized that I could probably do what he's doing. So I broke down the best practices for that industry over a few months, got a little money together, bought inventory, and made all of the marketing materials myself, chose a marketing angle and went for it.

Black Friday comes and goes... Things are running behind and not launched yet... Then December 3rd rolls around and business starts coming in as well as the sales and just like that I'm in business. My margins are healthy and I'd better not disclose who I am or what the niche is, but aside from that I'll be sure to clue you guys in as much as possible.

I ended up spending all of December to test & retest everything. Different pricing points, billing models, and penetration strategies. When January rolled around I put everything on pause after the first week so I could focus on the actual automation and scaling of the business. The sales that came in were all of the testing I needed to know that I have a business, so it was time to focus on the logistics and operations of the business so I'm not the one managing fulfillment, billing, managing the marketing, and acting as the accountant.

In other words, it's time to take fervent and calculated action.

So what's my business model?
Well, firstly I'm in a multi-billion dollar industry that's fragmented and relatively unregulated. It's in the consumable goods space and being forwardly integrated my end buyer are individual consumers.

I've decided to take what's been a relatively merchant-centric business and add a little legitimacy to it. Many of the companies partake in deceptive marketing practices and billing methods while they go from one trend to the next. I'm going to come in and build a customer service-based company (think Zappos) that retails other products at extremely competitive pricing while selling my own line of products to the same customers.

Starting Capital?
Well, since I've already spent money & resources on inventory, marketing materials, incorporation, phone systems, raw goods my restarting budget is only $5,000. Keep in mind I simply put things on hold while I restructured to handle larger volume, my margins are pretty healthy and my variable costs are minimal at the moment (my official headquarters is a bedroom lol). I will be reinvesting nearly every dime and the sales process is instant...

What are the margins like?
On my line of products: Gross x 10 x12. On the products I'm retailing I'd rather not say.

Competitive advantages?
As of right now it'll be speed of implementation, access to data, and flexibility of stratagem. In other words, I seriously think I can outsmart the competition.

In all honesty, competition isn't even in my mind right now. I'm sure that if I execute properly I'll do just fine. :coolgleamA:

So here's the lean startup:
  • Consumer goods retailer & line of products.
  • The individual products can be seasonal in nature, but generally are evergreen.
  • As of this moment the marketing mix is entirely Internet based, but that will change when capital and opportunities free themselves at opportune moments.
  • I'm the only sales staff at this second, but I'll be automating within week one and hiring when needed. The wife is the bookkeeper.

More details will come as I progress, which I plan to do quickly and efficiently. Let's just say I think I'd even give Hannibal a hard-on.
-----------------------------------------------------​

Day 0: I'm almost done building the final solution retail website based on a popular CMS & e-commerce solution. That marks day six of development.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Halffull

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Oct 25, 2012
I love that you're documenting your progress, and wish you the best of luck. But it's gonna bug the shit out of me that every time I see the thread title that it says "Dairy" instead of "Diary".

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
I love that you're documenting your progress, and wish you the best of luck. But it's gonna bug the shit out of me that every time I see the thread title that it says "Dairy" instead of "Diary".

Are you blind?

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Haha alright no disrespect :)

ubiquitous

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Sep 13, 2012
Day 6: In the past few days I've tried to be as busy as possible as one could be without actually taking any orders, yet I still feel like there's so much more to be done. Without much ado, here's what's happened:

• Finished building the website/phone system/support modules/Toll-Free/etc... , ended up going the custom route to control ALL of the data (except for the #800)... I'm pretty satisfied with the outcome.
  • Hooked up with several manufacturers, expanded inventory.
  • Started integrating product feed into Google Merchant Center (already ran on Adwords back in Dec/Jan).
  • Started small online PR campaign to build website's footprint (while I don't believe in counting links, 104 pages from the site have already been indexed).
  • Hooked up with two affiliate networks that have agreed to be the AOR of two exclusive products... we're shooting for 500 sales a day by mid-Feb. (I was already friends with the owners of these networks... so it's not like I cold-called them.)
  • Had to go with a high-risk merchant account after learning my industry [in general] is high-risk and my last one was shut down since underwriting didn't allow it. I'm going to have to wait until Weds to hear back from underwriting with the new provider. :thumbsup: (I did spend the time to make sure we're now PCI compliant though, so it hasn't been a total waste of time.)
  • Posted jobs ads for a content writer, resumes are pouring in... I'll pick on by Thursday.
  • Met with a potential investor/call-center owner. We've worked together in the past (I as his consultant) and we're going to explore creating a call-center together to cross-sell and up-sell the products... Funny story, he tried staking me back in June of last year, but I wasn't ready then.
  • Just started writing prospectus, which brings me to my next point...
  • Starting to recruit friends of mine who work on commission, I'm going to see if I can get people to recruit possible investors for a percentage. Once I finish the prospectus I might just post the ads on Craigslist to see what comes up.
  • Watched a few vids on listing products on Amazon, I'm probably going to try it out and if it works out then consider switching to FBA.
  • I just shot off the design specs for a new product we're launching to coincide with the Feb relaunch. In the meantime I'm going to place the order for the new product to be manufactured and moved to the fulfillment house on Thurs. If the designs are late I'm going to just spend the day doing it myself (worst case scenario...).
  • Which I guess leads me to the last one, I'm preparing to hire a part-time developer from overseas (exchange rate, yada yada)...

P.S. I also wrote up our core values and I've been doing as much learning as I can about creating a culture.
P.P.S. I still have to choose a CRM... I'll probably go with Sugar so I get custom work done if I need it. I'll make a decision while I'm jogging tonight.

[If you want to exchange contacts and ideas just hit me up. I've already hit up a few of you with progress threads (those of you taking action! ;) ). I'll gladly trade URLs with you and what not, I'd rather simply not post it in public.

Also, MJ... If you're reading this, I sent you a Facebook request, I'm sure I'm one of hundreds pending... but I can't say I didn't try to kiss the ring.

P.P.S. This is a really long PS section, but I'm done. Back to the grind.

bclark85

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Gilbert, AZ
You are off to a great start man! I can't wait to see this thing take off. You have put a lot of work in mapping this thing out which is awesome. Speed ++

AlexV

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jan 12, 2013
Munich, Germany
Nice thread, a lot of speed and power till now.

I will "steal" some of you ideas (even if you mind :D ). I haven't heard about Google Merchant Center before. So I researched it and have seen that it's not available to my actual country(still in Romania, but moving to Germany from March where this service is available).

I got some questions:
-where do you recruit your coder from and how? (country, site, etc)
-where do you recruit your content from and how?

Thanks,
Alex

ubiquitous

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Sep 13, 2012
Nice thread, a lot of speed and power till now.

I will "steal" some of you ideas (even if you mind :D ). I haven't heard about Google Merchant Center before. So I researched it and have seen that it's not available to my actual country(still in Romania, but moving to Germany from March where this service is available).

I got some questions:
-where do you recruit your coder from and how? (country, site, etc)
-where do you recruit your content from and how?

Thanks,
Alex
Coder: Odesk... I have experience with Ukrainians so maybe I'll get lucky.
Content: I've played with Textbroker, but I'm now posting jobs ads on Craigslist.

Also, small update: I was already approved for the new merchant account so things are coming together nicely.
Also: Just got lined up with a few more investors... We'll see how things go when I'm ready to have a sit down.

AlexV

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jan 12, 2013
Munich, Germany
Coder: Odesk... I have experience with Ukrainians so maybe I'll get lucky.
Content: I've played with Textbroker, but I'm now posting jobs ads on Craigslist.

Thank you. I was asking this because I have on developer here in Romania and his price is comparable to the Ukrainians and Russians ones. I had some bad experiences with some Asians(Indians and Chinese) found on elance, due to some communication problems. I've got one local developer at the moment but if the business grows as wanted, I will need another one in 3 months.

Regards,
Alex

ubiquitous

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Sep 13, 2012
I'll keep this update brief.

Got the designs for the new product line.

• I've been doing a lot of networking with different possible distributors and more affiliate network owners... and by a lot I'm talking about meeting over 30-50 people a day and building as much value within my growing personal network as possible.
  • Got the merchant processing + gateway set up for intl campaigns & various billing methods...
  • Preparing an international campaign right now (less competition & growing demand), just working on the fulfillment side of the biz for South America (Canada was pretty much cake).
  • Still planning on re-launching next week.
  • Still looking for a programmer, but I've been pretty busy. Once things are running again (read: generating revenue) I'm going to hire a VA on a part-time basis.
TBH, the hardest thing is going to be finding time to get my Executive MBA, which I've been planning on doing for a year. If I'm accepted I'm going to need to head off to school for four months. So I essentially have four months to get the business as operational as possible so I can just administrate during the term.

ubiquitous

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Sep 13, 2012
So we've been in business for about a month and things are going good. From what I've seen (and I'm honestly only logging on here for about five minutes a week) I'm doing things a bit differently than a lot of other thread starters here being that I'm direct marketing for ALL of my customers and most of the sales are batched days later. In other words: I'm spending money, then waiting for it to come back.

In the past few weeks I dealt with a few hiccups like waiting to go from 72 hour batch processing to 24 hour cycles, getting higher limits on the merchant accounts (as well as backups), and blowing through inventory faster than planned (not really a bad problem). I've also had some pluses like lower than expected acquisition costs, raised spending limits on my advertising accounts, and larger/more favorable payment terms on my media buying insertion orders.

Some things have changed in that I'm still only focusing on one product line, but I'm going to need to hire call-center employees to handle the incoming customers within the next few months. [I've already started looking at office space.]

And to the most important point: I've already turned a profit on the initial investment.

Sorry I haven't been posting more for anyone who was actually paying attention, it just doesn't seem worth posting to say: "I'm making money and tweaking stuff". I'll post again to answer questions, otherwise I'll probably just hold off until there are bigger changes.

P.S. Never met with investors... I've decided that if I need more money then I'll just sell debt.

HD_edacity

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Mar 12, 2013
Toronto
I find this thread quite interest so keep us posted even if it is to say your making money, it gives me a warm feeling inside :). Also i feel like you brushed over the "getting inventory" part . Without reviling anything, how difficult was it and what process did you use (email/calling/websites)?

ubiquitous

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Sep 13, 2012
I find this thread quite interest so keep us posted even if it is to say your making money, it gives me a warm feeling inside :). Also i feel like you brushed over the "getting inventory" part . Without reviling anything, how difficult was it and what process did you use (email/calling/websites)?

I don't talk about sourcing because it's only my business, just that I'm contract manufacturing.

ubiquitous

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Sep 13, 2012
I've been really busy so I'll have to keep it short:

Got affiliates.

Hired first telemarketer to resell.

Starting to look for warehouse space.

I'm now moving more product a day then I was a week about a month ago.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.