The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Describe what being a "Millionaire" feels like.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
very unique take sir. However on the flipside if we fast forwarded 500-1000 years would it not be different? or Indifferent?

do you think people in the year 1200 knew what the word happiness means ?

or is happiness something of this day and age because of technology ?

is it possible that some people in total poverty be happy at all ?

are rich people happy for ever ?

is happiness following wealth ?

i don't know the answer for all these questions

i only know the answer for my life

i don't want to be a dancing monkey on TV with a mansion

i want to be free in order to do what i have to do with my time considering the meaning of my life

for some people , having millions means sitting all the day watching this forum, banning people and welcoming others

this is a way indeed

everyone has his unique answer

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Fallacy of relative privation.

I agree money can't buy happiness though.

ok so when you ask dying people in hospital if they would prefer to be healthy or wealthy, don't say your " fallacy " things to them when they answer health instead or wealth

because maybe they won't accept your argument and they will become very angry hearing that

i would become very dangerous hearing someone telling that to me while i have nothing to lose anymore on my deathbed

because i will never endorse stupidity over inteligence

never

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
Chances are that it will be better. People always tend to think that the current time is bad: terror, crisis, wars,... But we have no clue what most people had to deal with in the past. Most middle ages people were poorer than the poorest people today. Not so long ago (100 years), people in Western-Europe attacked each other with freaking bayonets, exterminated people on a industrial scale (70 years ago) or threatened to nuke the entire world (25 years ago).

There was never a better time to live as today, ever in history of mankind. Today technology advances so fast (VR, AI, drones, biotech, ...) that it's only getting better.
agreed

TheSunpirate

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
May 22, 2016
Saint Louis
A bit of a long post..

Studies on happiness have been plentiful and I believe have answered a lot of the questions posted. There are two parts to it what is considered happiness, assessed happiness or experiential. In one case, happiness is measured based on how you perceive your past, in which case the more money you have the higher your assessment and perceived value etc. However when it came to experiential happiness, which is based on your daily experiences, they found that once someone earned a bit more then the average that it its reached peak (there is a great ted talk on this) . So in other words feeling happiness from your everyday life reaches its relative peak once you get to above 60k a year or so.

Wealth is relative, and in most cases is assessed based on your neighbor, or to be more precise (on your valued peers). So if you are earning more then them you seem to feel relatively wealthy. Imagine being in war where no one has much and it becomes easier to see.

Beyond that, the idea of making billions seems to be a need created out of a need for severe self importance, insecurity and so on. That is not to say that all self made billionaires are driven by insecurity in their endeavors. Which means that you probably have at least two versions occurring, the google type, love their job, and enjoy process, need based and so forth. And the other kind..

These psych measurements however suffer from who they measure, they are based on the "slowlaners" slave intrinsic value model, "my cell has better bars then yours" and so on.

Mj's approach is an entirely different model, a vertical shift. In my opinion when you shift out of the slave game, your pleasure is of a higher order, its almost necessary to leave the whole comparison thing behind, since you become a need fulfilling person rather then a money- self importance driving person. It is conquering our own fears which bring us the greatest pleasure, and it is the highest model of narcissism (a term given a bad rap), which basically means that you face your own illusions and become an individual. Which then translates to being someone who can offer to others and become a beneficial part of society.

Our mind creates fear under the impression that the fear is about the result of the outcome, but if we double check a bit, it actually is a fear of our the outcome of our actions, not of the situation. Not to get too deep, but I double check my actual intentions all the time, rather then the ones I believe I am working on.

I spent 8 hours browsing new business ideas last night, but still no inspiration for need solution showed up. Part of that is that I still have the "make money" paradigm occurring, which is a double edge sword since it is driven by low self value, which also holds you back from acting outwardly. Most people I know that have overcome this challenge use a subconscious hate of "me against others idea" to fuel the journey. Hence they perceive a war at hand, and go out to fight the world to earn their millions. This is a cyclical model though, because they end up spending all of their money in trying to prove their superiority.

The Mj model is different, since it is driven by providing the need aspect, it can only work if process is implemented, which makes it superior in every way. Its a selfless model that is selfish. Process is the key to all success, being selfless in your examinations of it allows for better decisions. It allows us to not take things personally and thus we can make the subtle changes that are always required along the way...

As my favorite author once said "mold yourself to your purpose, not the world"

MRSSuply

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Nov 17, 2016
Georgia, USA
But what it has done for me is if I awake in the middle of the night and think about something I have to pay such as property taxes, or if the car breaks down you just think oh thank you God for letting me be so fortunate to have financial success and have plenty of money in the bank. And I roll back over and go to sleep.

My grandfather has told me several times that while money can't buy happiness, the lack of money goes a long way towards preventing it. I can see you're speaking to the same principle here. We're not millionaires yet, but for me, this is a powerful incentive to strive towards. Now if only I can remember it when MRSupply needs evenings to work on business...

guy marshall

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Sep 2, 2017
yorkshire England
Hi all, i first became a millionaire around 6 ish years ago.....now I'm currently in the over 2 million category if you like..im in the uk so maybe 3.5 million dollars, anyway i know what zero feels like and internally as a person i feel no different.
The realisation happens when you know you have choices in everything you do....plus the desires you used to have totally wear off, when you go shopping you rarely buy anything because you can afford to buy it so the want disappears... i hope this makes sense ive owned two Audi R8s and eventually even that feels like driving a regular car after a while..
the funny thing is ive been going to the same gym for years and i was never asked what i did for a job until i turned up in the car one day....funny.
As i write this i know I'm not working tomorrow and having an easy day but i still do work within my business but its on my terms...i hope this sheds a bit of light.

Good luck

Attachments

• 006 (2).JPG
    006 (2).JPG
    239.4 KB · Views: 51

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Hi all, i first became a millionaire around 6 ish years ago.....now I'm currently in the over 2 million category if you like..im in the uk so maybe 3.5 million dollars, anyway i know what zero feels like and internally as a person i feel no different.
The realisation happens when you know you have choices in everything you do....plus the desires you used to have totally wear off, when you go shopping you rarely buy anything because you can afford to buy it so the want disappears... i hope this makes sense ive owned two Audi R8s and eventually even that feels like driving a regular car after a while..
the funny thing is ive been going to the same gym for years and i was never asked what i did for a job until i turned up in the car one day....funny.
As i write this i know I'm not working tomorrow and having an easy day but i still do work within my business but its on my terms...i hope this sheds a bit of light.

Good luck

Yeah right...

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Among other things... I have raised money at an 8 figure valuation... I own a majority of that company which makes me a "paper multi-millionaire".

I drive a cash Chevy. My wife drives a cash Chevy. We live in a nice home that most people with a reasonable job can afford. We vacation on points. We eat at Mexican restaurants for $25. I shop around for insurance and other monthly crap. I debate about buying a boat or if it’s not worth the money. I play golf at Clubcorp facilities which are middle of the road. I’m looking at a used Lexus hybrid to save money on gas. I wear $450 suits. I wear a $450 watch. I’m comfortable. I don't have to worry about money. I’m excited by what I do. I’m excited about the future.

In contrast, I know a guy with a good job. A brand new everything. A 6000 square foot home. Owns nothing that pays him. Has money problems. He looks like a millionaire. He isn’t. Every time I talk to him the F*cking sky is falling.

The word millionaire means NOTHING.

Last edited:

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Among other things... I have raised money at an 8 figure valuation... I own a majority of that company which makes me a paper multi-millionaire.

I drive a cash Chevy. My wife drives a cash Chevy. We live in a nice home that most people with a reasonable job can afford. We vacation on points. We eat at Mexican restaurants for $25. I shop around for insurance and other monthly crap. I debate about buying a boat or if it’s not worth the money. I play golf at Clubcorp facilities which are middle of the road. I’m looking at a used Lexus hybrid to save money on gas. I wear $450 suits. I wear a $450 watch. I’m comfortable. I don't have to worry about money. I’m excited by what I do. I’m excited about the future.

In contrast, I know a guy with a good job. A brand new everything. A 6000 square foot home. Owns nothing that pays him. Has money problems. He looks like a millionaire. He isn’t. Every time I talk to him the f*cking sky is falling.

So you know one of my best friends? :)

I do about the same as you basically except my $2600 suit is in the closet and I only wear it for funerals or a tux to special parties and I've never liked wearing a watch. I do like wearing a suit, I just don't like going to the places that require a suit. lol

I'm way different than most people.... before I had money I didn't worry about money and nowadays I don't worry about money. I probably get more excited over saving money nowadays than I did when I was broke.

I spare no expense when it comes to buying the wife shoes or clothes.... if you want it, buy it! We spare no expense in buying the grandson shoes or clothes.... if you want it, buy it. When I go to buy new shoes for myself.... $100?????? WTF???? Where are the $10 shoes?

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
When I go to buy new shoes for myself.... $100?????? WTF???? Where are the $10 shoes?
What is the matter with you? Your feet need comfort... I am happy to pay $150 for shoes and do so regularly. Have purchased shoes from the same store for 15 years.

I proposed to my wife there. That's not weird is it???

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
What is the matter with you? Your feet need comfort... I am happy to pay $150 for shoes and do so regularly. Have purchased shoes from the same store for 15 years.

Did you pretend to you were going to tie your shoe when you got down on one knee?

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Did you pretend to you were going to tie your shoe when you got down on one knee?
No. I am happy to tell the entire story. It unfolded less than a mile from your house.

We met at a running group that was put on by the running shoe store. At the end of the workouts, the store had a raffle for items out of the store. I asked the store owner to put the ring in with the raffle items and call her name to retrieve the prize.

The owners wife emailed, called, and let people know what I was up to. 40 people showed up to run and watch me propose to her. You know how much attention she likes. :)

We ended up with cake, champagne, and a large group of observers. Was not my intent. Glad she said yes...

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Glad she said yes...

LOL - kept you out of the Guinness Book of World Records for epic fail by her saying yes!

Love the story. Why be dull and ordinary? The world needs MORE things like this!

Last edited:

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW

lol I don't buy the cheap shoes, I just hate to pay that much. My wallet seems like it is rusted shut when it comes time to buying myself something. lol On a shoe note, I literally tried on ever size 10 shoe in Sketchers one time. I have a harder time buying shoes than anything else. I've found that it is cheaper to buy a better shoe than to buy cheaper shoes because the cheap shoes wear faster. So in the long run it's cheaper but I just have to bite the bullet and pay what ever the price tag is..... :( By the way, NO WAY will I ever be able to buy a shoe online, it will not work for my feet.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, “only a little while. The American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish? The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs. The American then asked, “but what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The "Mexican Fisherman" said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life.” The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The "Mexican Fisherman" asked, “But, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15 – 20 years.”

“But what then?” Asked the Mexican.

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions!”

“Millions – then what?”

The American said, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

lol but to be fair, MJ debunked this story by saying something like:

"and then the government passed new fishing regulations severely crippling the "Mexican Fisherman"'s way of life. He now couldn't afford to support his family and is forced to work at the mexican equivalent of 7-11"

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
lol but to be fair, MJ debunked this story by saying something like:

"and then the government passed new fishing regulations severely crippling the "Mexican Fisherman"'s way of life. He now couldn't afford to support his family and is forced to work at the mexican equivalent of 7-11"

Proper rofls for the joke, and MJ's quote :-D

NanoDrake

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Feb 25, 2018
Malta
Disclaimer: I'm no millionaire (whatever this means)

But I asked my former ceo (the man is worth over 10mln) what it means and feels.
He still wake up at 5am
still go to the same gym
drives a nice but average car (your average joe mercedes) to go to work and fly coach most of the times except for long a$$ flights with immediate meetings

In his own words: money doesn't really changed his life after a certain level, he has simply options, and when needed, can just throw a tactical "f** you" to the situation and do as he pleases.

he got a 40k rolex that he bought years and years ago and regrets it... (just saying)

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
You see this a lot with celebrities too, when they expect being rich and famous to be some esoteric, universe changing event that happens to you.

One of Jim Rohn's quotes feels quite fitting to this thread:

“Become a millionaire not for the million dollars, but for what it will make of you to achieve it.”

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
To follow suit, yesterday at the airport in London, the lil woman said Hillary Swank was in the lounge sitting by her drinking tea. So while Ms. Swank was not sitting next to the bathrooms, she was flying like other people do and not in a private plane.

Speaking of flying, there is a fella in Oklahoma that I know that does not own a car (except a race car that he lets others drive). He flies a helicopter and he says if he can't take his helicopter where ever he needs to go, he just doesn't go. lol

People do go a lil crazy over watches. When I had my cleaning business we had lots of clients that had several high priced watches; I'm guessing $5000-$20,000 each. My buddy thinks it's a sin that I don't wear a watch at all. He says I have no class. I always tell him, if I had class, I wouldn't be your friend. lol

guy marshall

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Sep 2, 2017
yorkshire England
Among other things... I have raised money at an 8 figure valuation... I own a majority of that company which makes me a "paper multi-millionaire".

In contrast, I know a guy with a good job. A brand new everything. A 6000 square foot home. Owns nothing that pays him. Has money problems. He looks like a millionaire. He isn’t. Every time I talk to him the f*cking sky is falling.

yeah right !

prince156

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 21, 2018
You've now insulted two of our oldest members -- both millionaires (one owns a freaking golf course) so tell you what "kid", "mate" or whatever label you deem "cool", stop posting crap and start reading.

You've posted 78 comments and none of them have any redeeming value.
King156 is dedicationforex on instagram and runs a secon page called thefinanceking. If you want anything on this kid, give me a shout ;) some 20year old kid named Alex who thinks he worked at Goldman Sachs LOL but is a bedroom trader lol

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Would you be considered a millionaire to have a business asset that profits north of $250K/Year and no debts or liabilities? Assuming a multiplier of 5?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Would you be considered a millionaire to have a business asset that profits north of $250K/Year and no debts or liabilities? Assuming a multiplier of 5?

Maybe. Assuming you can get 5x for it. But if you had a business making $250k/year you wouldn’t even be keeping score that low.

Last edited:

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Maybe. Assuming you can get 5x for it. But if you had a business making $250k/year you wouldn’t even be keep score that low.

Lol makes sense. I had a buddy who said he was a millionaire because he did 100k in consulting a year and claimed a 10x multiplier. Obviously overstated for him - but always wondered for myself what my business asset was worth considering our profits.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.