The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Competing with the the top of the Supply Chain?

bboyu

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 5, 2013
Hi guys I'm back with some questions. This thread is an offshoot of a very old one by @biophase : https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...s-or-is-it-just-bad-business.7035/#post-23298

The question is quite similar to the one raised by @biophase. His premise was different in the sense that he wanted to know why wholesalers/manufacturers would sell direct to the consumer and not maintain their B2B function to which @MJ DeMarco replied:

"What you're experiencing is the ability of manufacturers to now directly sell to the consumer via the internet. Without the internet, this would not happen. The web is destroying the middleman and allowing manufacturers to go directly to the consumer. This is one of the many things the internet will ultimately destroy behind stockbrokers and travel agents ... you might not like it, but the manufacturer loves it and the consumers get the best price. Being a distributor is a fastlane passenger arrangement while the manufacturer is the driver ... its all about control."

What I want to know though is what are you supposed to do when you see manufacturers selling directly online from the get go or once you have set up an arrangement - with them and they see how much business you have generated for them - that they decide to undercut you completely and go direct to the consumer?

What do you do from the beginning to account for this or prevent this from happening? MJ, when you are bootstrapping something and have no other way to begin but as a middleman - what do you do?

If you look at starting a business and select a business you would like to go into - this issue would and probably does occur with majority of businesses - by a process of elimination - if you was to boil down to a model where this may not occur - you wouldn't be left with many choices for businesses to go into would you?

I may be wrong. Please can you guys shed Light on this for me? @zen******* @MJ DeMarco @biophase @JackEdwards @RichKid etc etc and any other legend that can share their wisdom.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

TWR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 20, 2014
North East Scotland
How about manufacturing the goods yourself?

Not always possible but it's the avenue I am going down at the moment and I now have more control. The main thing being that I don't stop at 5pm like the distributors, no more long waiting on delivery plus easy customisation for the consumer.

Not a legendary answer but that's my 2c

Mike.B

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Oct 27, 2011
Ohio
Hi guys I'm back with some questions. This thread is an offshoot of a very old one by @biophase : https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...s-or-is-it-just-bad-business.7035/#post-23298

The question is quite similar to the one raised by @biophase. His premise was different in the sense that he wanted to know why wholesalers/manufacturers would sell direct to the consumer and not maintain their B2B function to which @MJ DeMarco replied:

"What you're experiencing is the ability of manufacturers to now directly sell to the consumer via the internet. Without the internet, this would not happen. The web is destroying the middleman and allowing manufacturers to go directly to the consumer. This is one of the many things the internet will ultimately destroy behind stockbrokers and travel agents ... you might not like it, but the manufacturer loves it and the consumers get the best price. Being a distributor is a fastlane passenger arrangement while the manufacturer is the driver ... its all about control."

What I want to know though is what are you supposed to do when you see manufacturers selling directly online from the get go or once you have set up an arrangement - with them and they see how much business you have generated for them - that they decide to undercut you completely and go direct to the consumer?

What do you do from the beginning to account for this or prevent this from happening? MJ, when you are bootstrapping something and have no other way to begin but as a middleman - what do you do?

If you look at starting a business and select a business you would like to go into - this issue would and probably does occur with majority of businesses - by a process of elimination - if you was to boil down to a model where this may not occur - you wouldn't be left with many choices for businesses to go into would you?

I may be wrong. Please can you guys shed Light on this for me? @zen******* @MJ DeMarco @biophase @JackEdwards @RichKid etc etc and any other legend that can share their wisdom.

There are many manufacturers that do not benefit from disintermediation, and probably never will. You can always concentrate on adding value as an intermediary (reintermediation) and work with the manufacturers. Selling direct to retail, or consumer, takes away from the manufacturers core competencies in most cases, which is why many will never move away from their intermediary relationships. I don't believe you'll ever be able to sell everything directly to consumer through online distribution channels.

Last edited by a moderator:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Wow, that's an old thread. If it were me I'd stop selling the item and sell a different one. No reason to compete against your supplier. But the ultimate answer is that you need to eventually sell your own products.

bboyu

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 5, 2013
Okay when you say own products do you mean, your own brand or something which you got created, yourself? But then the manufacturer could start competing with you? How would you manufacture something yourself? Literally buy equipment to make it or what? How would you make yourself " safe" from the get go? Without using patents and all of that.

bboyu

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 5, 2013
Become product agnostic.

Spend time developing your system and then plug in any product you choose.

Can you please expand on this? How does one do this? How do you create a system instead of a brand or product/service that you stand by? How do you function as a business this way as in what do you stand by on a daily then in terms of "providing value" to the market? How can you set yourself up that way and be that efficient and not lose out on business? Please expand on that information.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Can you please expand on this? How does one do this? How do you create a system instead of a brand or product/service that you stand by? How do you function as a business this way as in what do you stand by on a daily then in terms of "providing value" to the market? How can you set yourself up that way and be that efficient and not lose out on business? Please expand on that information.

Finding products is what most people spend a lot of time looking for.

What if you found customers first and then product to fill the need?

Setting up the selling/marketing process and strategy is often an overlooked part of the overall system. EBAY and Amazon are easy, other methods of selling are much more of a challenge.

If I can find demand and a product, I add value by getting the two together in a manner agreeable to both the customer and supplier.

bboyu

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 5, 2013
Finding products is what most people spend a lot of time looking for.

What if you found customers first and then product to fill the need?

Setting up the selling/marketing process and strategy is often an overlooked part of the overall system. EBAY and Amazon are easy, other methods of selling are much more of a challenge.

If I can find demand and a product, I add value by getting the two together in a manner agreeable to both the customer and supplier.

So what is the best way to find "demands" regardless of any market? Market segmentation? Is this the best way to approach markets? As one segmentation would most likely go through and consume many different products transcending industries and markets ? What do you think?

I find looking at amazon bestsellers and eBay's completed listings as mind boggling - because it's like MJ said "the market doesn't care about you" - you could be looking at the screen all day wondering what shall I sell at the end because all you want to do is jump in and then sell "a" product.

bboyu

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 5, 2013
But the ultimate answer is that you need to eventually sell your own products.

Bio can you please expand on this? Do you mean manufacturing yourself? Literally buy equipment to then make the product?

What if you cannot do that yet?

Please elaborate and if you can give some more info on how you structured your Ecom biz from the get go after - you made your mistakes - to overcome obstacles like this and then make it all your own - with your own products.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Bio can you please expand on this? Do you mean manufacturing yourself? Literally buy equipment to then make the product?

What if you cannot do that yet?

Please elaborate and if you can give some more info on how you structured your Ecom biz from the get go after - you made your mistakes - to overcome obstacles like this and then make it all your own - with your own products.

No, I mean get a factory to make your own products and begin starting your own brand.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.