The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Business ideas. What do go with.

Idea threads

Spikeroo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 17, 2011
Merritt Island, Fl
Ok, I have alot of ideas on businesses and I want some opinions on what would be of easier to achieve, more profit, and have good business.

Making T-shirts.
ok, I know everyone has tried doing this, but I'm thinking of making my own designs, which I'm pretty good at.

Mobile Auto Detailing.
I know it would take me awhile to acquire a the equipment needed to do this, but do I need permits or anything? other then register the trailer I'd pull the stuff on.

These are just some things I was thinking of, if anyone has any advice, or any ideas, I would love to hear them, thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
You have to decide that yourself based on your skills, interest level in that market and the potential for the business to succeed. Any business can succeed if you know what you're doing. Do your homework son.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
Ok, I have alot of ideas on businesses and I want some opinions on what would be of easier to achieve, more profit, and have good business.

Making T-shirts.
ok, I know everyone has tried doing this, but I'm thinking of making my own designs, which I'm pretty good at.

Mobile Auto Detailing.
I know it would take me awhile to acquire a the equipment needed to do this, but do I need permits or anything? other then register the trailer I'd pull the stuff on.

These are just some things I was thinking of, if anyone has any advice, or any ideas, I would love to hear them, thanks!

What's your goal here? Just enough to pay the bills or make millions? If it's the later then Mobile detailing is not your poison. You could possibly make quite a bit doing T-Shirt, but that is an extremely crowded market that is ruthless.

I know quite alot about detailing when it comes to cars and I can tell you that, on average, it comes to around $40-50/hour and that's for the people who have an established business, some people make more and of course it depends on location. If you choose detailing be prepared to work long and hard hours if you really want to repair the car's flaws. I'm talking easy 6+ hours for something relatively simple. I've spent longer on a car before.

I'm drifting..

The point I'm trying to make here is before you decide on what business you go into you need to decide what do you want out of it. Begin with the end in mind as Stephen Covey says.

Right now, I see both ideas taking alot of your time and even more important your income is dependent on your time. You only make money when you work on people's car rather if you had an internet business you can collect money 24/7. This is an extremely important factor/rule you need to implement if you want to be wealthy/retired young.

Again, I don't know what your ultimate goal is. It could be to just pay the bills and if that's the case then disregard my previous statements.

So, what is your goal?

advancedyn

I love the power of the Internet!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Aug 14, 2011
Wichita, Kansas
One thing I personally took away from MJ's book is that I only have 24 hours in a day and God only know's how many of those I have left. Therefore, I am not interested in wasting my time in anything other than an Internet-based service business. Only an INTERNET-BASED SERVICE BUSINESS. Think about it it for a bit and you will see what I mean. There are a LOT of reasons this business model makes more sense than others. Look at what MJ did. Look at what Gurbakash Cahal did. Look at what the Google boys did. This list goes on and on and on. Those are the big names. There are a LOT of people out there who haven't made a billion dollars or wrote a book or been on a television program and are still making a LOT of money. As MJ says in so many words in the book, Don't become a business owner only to later find out that you were just buying a job.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
The best choice would be the one in which you secured the largest dollar order from a paying customer.

If you don't have a paying customer it really doesn't matter.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 10, 2011
Like what maximus20895 said, it depends on what are you aiming for, is it for making money to pay your bills or making millions? Going with your ideas will put on labor and hard work, not to mention you earn ONLY for your service, meaning no customer, no service = no income. Anyway if its a passion then go with it. Then back it up with a stable business, like food or refreshments(everybody has to eat) or work that guarantees income. Good luck mate!

canadiangal

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2011
I don't think car detailing or T-shirt design will put you on a Fastlane.
You will be spending so much time creating your designs and chasing after customers. Or you will be spending so much time making them cars pretty. Say No!!!!

You could advertise detailing businesses online for a fee(or for free), and once you have lot of people coming to your website, you can make money by advertising other products and services.

You may also advertise new clothing designers' products and receive a percentage ($0.30 for example) on each sale.
If you can automate the process, it'd be ideal. The key is not having to spend too much time on your website. It may take a lot of time and effort at first, but ultimately find a way to automate the process.

my two cents...

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007

Making T-shirts.

Mobile Auto Detailing.

Spend a few days on idea generation and try to come up with original ideas for filling needs that are not yet being filled yet or at least not properly.
IMHO 'Making T-shirts' and 'Mobile Auto Detailing' are not exactly fastlane, which does not mean that you cannot be lucky and earn a decent income with it. But fastlane? No.
Try to think out of the box.

What I usually do, is brainstorming while waiting somewhere. Just last week I was at the dental center and I had to wait for almost 30 minutes, just like five other people. So, sitting there I asked myself the question which service provider could benefit from having a small information/sales counter in the dental center. And I came up with three ideas of which one looked quite promising.
It is not my intention to set up such a business in the dental center, so, in the meantime, I talked to one of the dentists and to a service provider who can benefit from setting up shop in the dental center. The dental center will get some rent income from the service provider and patients who don't mind to wait and the service provider will get some serious prospects. If they decide to go ahead the service provider will pay me a commission on every sale he makes at that dental center.
So, it cost me in total about thirty minutes to talk to the dentist and to the service provider and hopefully there will be some passive income flowing to me for the next few years. It won't be a huge some, but on the other hand it only cost me half an hour to put the deal together.
By the way I will draw up a contract with the service provider to secure my rights.
I am also thinking of replicating this in other towns in the Netherlands.
Anyway, that's how I spend some of my time while waiting for the patent application for my main project to be drafted by a patent attorney and filed.

Spikeroo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 17, 2011
Merritt Island, Fl
i don't know too much about the whole internet scene other then its much more convenient and easier to access, I do have experience though but what business could I go with other then the two I posted?

NewWorldOrder

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 16, 2011
So I recently started a t-shirt biz: hardbodytees.com -- over 2 months I've obtained exactly 0 sales w/ some advertising efforts. And if I made a sale, the print-on-demand (POD) service would eat up most of the profit. This makes my position on par with an affiliate marketer's but worse (as I actually create the product too!).

A t-shirt isn't a need in somebody's life. So in rough economic times, making such sales are going to be more difficult. If you're willing to fight through what Seth Godin calls "The Dip" you'll eventually make it--if you decide to do t-shirts. Think on the order of years.

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
You could possibly make quite a bit doing T-Shirt, but that is an extremely crowded market that is ruthless.

I agree, it is an extremely over saturated market, and if you don't know what you're doing in the t-shirt game, your competition will EAT YOU ALIVE. Not Jokin'

But to those that are saying that T-shirt design isn't fastlane, I beg to differ. Many folks don't realize how easy it is to design a t-shirt. Most folks tend to overthink it. A simple, trendy, modern design can sell millions. On top of that, you can outsource to a designer to make designs for you. The only hard part is, just like any other business, is getting a customer to buy it.

I'll give a great example, Johnny Cupcakes. I think after a year (or maybe two) he quit his job to focus full time on his cupcake-themed t-shirt brand, he had over a million in sales. He doesn't do all of the designs himself and from what I read in interviews, he certainly has time (he once went on a cross-country road trip just to give out free shirts and speak at colleges). Now don't get me wrong, it is alot of work working on t-shirt designs and I spend sometimes 6 hours a day just doing designing alone, but what about the tech-entrepreneur who's doing all his own coding spending hours and hours doing HTML, PHP and all of that other tech stuff (Mark Zuckerberg?)

And it doesn't have to be just be designing and selling fashion tees. You can do "tourist" tees, those tees that people buy at the airport, and other places where tourists are more likely to be hanging out. You can also get into wholesaling blank tees for other t-shirt designers, schools, churches, etc (which I will be doing on the side). All of which can be automated if done right.

But, to answer the Original Poster's question, I would just do some research and try to find a need or a market and create your own lane there. Do a lot of research and homework.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.