The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone here use a Kindle or another e-reader device?

Rain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 5, 2011
I read a lot of books, and have accumulated a relatively large amount of them by now.

As a minimalist, however, I hate clutter, and I generally think that collecting or acquiring material items is a useless endeavor. While it's nice to look at a small library of books--I find that glancing over the book covers on the shelves give me some kind of revitalizing energy--I know that it's purely psychological and all in my head.

Because of this, I'm considering getting rid of them--with the exception of my absolute favorites--and going 100% digital.

I'm a simple guy. Aside from a nice place, nice car, nice clothes, and nice but essential furnishings in my place (i.e., bed, desk, computers, couches), I basically have no possessions--just books.

Has anyone transitioned from physical books to digital books and never looked back?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I use the kindle android app on both my phone and galaxy tab. The furthest location syncs between the 2, i really like it. I have over 50 business books in digital kindle format. I have less than 10 physical books, i tend to throw them away when I dont know what to do with them.

Please excuse my mistakes, Im using tapatalk and a mobile device.

BrucetonGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Sep 28, 2011
I have the Kindle and I REALLY like it! There are TONS of free books on Amazon (most of the classics) and A LOT more for .99. That is where I got TFM!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I may buy the actual eink one again. I broke my last one and bought my tablet. I still miss the readability of the real kindle, is does however feel extremely outdated like a palm pilot or something.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Gary

Elevatin' the Celebratin'
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Mar 18, 2011
San Diego
I use a Kindle and the Kindle Reader app on my iPad2, Macbook and PC desktop. And yesterday my wife bought herself a Kindle Fire. I'm in love with the technology.

However, I still enjoy a book in physical format every now and again...it's great to pass on to someone. I bought several physical copies of TFM and gave them away. Amazon has a lending program for qualifying digital titles but you can only lend it once and for 14 days.

Rain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 5, 2011
It's going to feel weird having a completely digital library (well, for the most part), but there really are benefits.

- less clutter to clean, organize, move, etc.
- books are significantly cheaper
- instant download after purchase, no waiting for shipping
- no shipping and handling fees
- entire library becomes portable

For some reason, there's just something about having a physical hardcover book in your hand; but I guess that's just something I need to get over, lol.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Rain that is exactly why I love it the most.

I am able to pull out my phone anywhere and read a few pages out of my current book. Then I can go home and read on my tablet. Also, it is backlit with white on black mode so I can read at night with no lamp (keeps the GF happy).

Calibre can convert your kindle books to EPUB too, these can be read with the speedreader apps and even use moonreader to read the book to you in the car (this takes away the syncing across kindles though :(). You have to buy a good android voice though, the robot voice sucks. I am an android guy, but I assume Apple has some good stuff like this too.

I still have to get a regular Kindle though for reading in direct sunlight. If im gonna be chilling on a beach or boat I want to be able to read. I want a sailboat, it takes a while to get places. Id like to read on it, but this is future stuff. I need a BMW 7Li first. :D

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I have the nook. I have probably 20 books on it but it is collecting dust now.

Reason is when I read a book I bend the top corner down if there is an idea I want to come back to. I bend the bottom corner down if it is something I want to tell someone else about. And I bend both if it has a web address I want to look up.

With the Nook yes you can 'flag' a page but then you have to go back through them all. With a book I can look at it quick and decide which pages I need to look at again or to pass on to someone else.

Besides the fact I just like the feeling of reading a Book more than a Nook. :)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Well the kindle market share is > than the nook. It has this feature where your bookmarks show up in a bookmark folder, you can highlight too!

Kindle has the better book market share that is why I only use kindle app. No actual kindle, but I think they are only like 80 bucks. Ill buy one with chase reward points now lol. :D

Tarheelfan2009

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 15, 2012
I have a Kindle Fire that I purchase my books from and primarily read with, but I also have the Kindle App for my phone. I find the the syncing capabilities indespensable and a tremendous help when I have trouble recalling a helpful tip or a quick reminder. I can flip out my phone and search by keyword within the app.

It has been a great help while developing my first app. When I have had a question about creating an app description, keyword optimization, or whatever the case has been I've been able to find the answer within seconds. I do own a few books, but I only buy something in print if I plan on passing it on to my kids one day.

Last edited:

sandgrownun

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jun 12, 2012
Blackpool (UK)
I have read books for years on whatever smart phone I am using at the time generally in pdf format. Anything with a 2.5inch screen or bigger is suitable and currently using a samsung nexus on android. The beauty of this is that you can take a handful of books everywhere you go. Whenever I am on a break, or waiting in the dentist surgery of having a cigarette (boo!) I read a page or two. I make a point of studying an hour a day, something I have practiced for 10 years now and the best time to do this is in bed so it gets into the subconscious while you sleep. If you read on a smaller device you don't have to worry about keeping the other half awake (if you have one) with a bedside lamp or screen glare. I do audio books exactly the same way. It is also discrete so you can read in places where it may be thought on inappropriate, like at your desk in the office:eusa_naughty:

VexX

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jun 8, 2012
ipad is the best in my opinion. Yes it doesn't have e-ink, but theres so much more you can do on it like using quickreader.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
I love my kindle, but I still love the touch of a real book. Kindle is great, but if you read technical books with diagrams, a lot of them are ported terribly for the e devices.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
For a tech geek, I don't have any of the latest portable technology. I still use a flip phone and I don't own a Kindle or an iPad.

I only read eBooks at my computer. I'd buy a physical copy anyday before I buy an eBook. Don't see the value for me.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I have a Xoom and an Evo, both with kindle app. I like the app because it syncs across both.

How do you like the EVO? I kinda hate my vivid, which is the ATT version. OTOH I love my galaxy tab 10.1, but I think im going to get an ASUS transformer next, i want the keyboard/touch screen.

Idella

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
May 26, 2012
Chinatown, Philly
I use a nook color modded with Cyanogen. I can read my ebook purchases as well as pdf files and other downloads. I also do the same on my phone (Evo 3d and soon the new awesome Evo 4GLTE). I never felt that the marketplace for the nook was small, seems like you can get the same books in both markets.

I would not switch to strictly digital media...

PopEmersen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA, US
How do you like the EVO? I kinda hate my vivid, which is the ATT version. OTOH I love my galaxy tab 10.1, but I think im going to get an ASUS transformer next, i want the keyboard/touch screen.

I love my EVO, it's 2 years old and I need a replacement but its been great for 2 years.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
My battery dies by 2pm every day and it is so laggy for me. The tablet has less processor and kicks its butt.

When I switch to sprint I am considering going with a Windows phone or back to a Samsung android. Must be the new LTE though. I really love my maildroid app a ton though!

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
For a tech geek, I don't have any of the latest portable technology. I still use a flip phone and I don't own a Kindle or an iPad.

I only read eBooks at my computer. I'd buy a physical copy anyday before I buy an eBook. Don't see the value for me.
Your geekness is questionable. :) But then again, you are 18yrs old, and alot of us where pretty poor at that age. I hope you can join us soon. I got my kindle for $100, it has built in 3G, i can browse internet with it FOR FREE, in a lot of countries. Sure, it's not high speed, it's black and white, but that's pretty cool. I have an android phone, $90 used, LG Ally, battery lasts for 3 days, great phone! 10inch screen viewsonic android tablet $190, acquired used too. It's easy to have some toys, not the latest, but you gotta buy used.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Your geekness is questionable. :) But then again, you are 18yrs old, and alot of us where pretty poor at that age. I hope you can join us soon. I got my kindle for $100, it has built in 3G, i can browse internet with it FOR FREE, in a lot of countries. Sure, it's not high speed, it's black and white, but that's pretty cool. I have an android phone, $90 used, LG Ally, battery lasts for 3 days, great phone! 10inch screen viewsonic android tablet $190, acquired used too. It's easy to have some toys, not the latest, but you gotta buy used.

When I broke my Kindle 3G i took the sim card out and stuck it in my tablet. It actually worked for a little bit. Then it stopped. :thumbdown:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

I had an HTC Thunderbolt. It got stolen. ):< But I realized that I didn't really need a smartphone at all; not yet anyway. Some people swear that they need them but I'm doing OK without one. I don't use tablets or anything: I just carry around my Dell XPS 17 everywhere. Too many gadgets is too hard to keep track of. So I just have a single powerful one. (Powerful is subjective, of course, but as much as I'd love to have the latest and greatest, all my money and effort are going into college and my business)

And don't question my geekness. Most 18 year olds are not Microsoft Certified Professionals, after all ;)

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC
I bought the cheapest kindle and I love it. I used to have book shelves full of books, and gave most of them away. Its still not the same as being able to highlight and annotate the pages, but there are trade offs. The cheapest one if like $70, and its great.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
I got a kindle for xmas this year and love it. I hate when there is a book I want and its not on kindle, it is just easier to read and carry a kindle.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
I bought the cheapest kindle and I love it. I used to have book shelves full of books, and gave most of them away. Its still not the same as being able to highlight and annotate the pages, but there are trade offs. The cheapest one if like $70, and its great.

Most books are cheaper used with shipping than kindle books. :(

Zellain

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jun 8, 2012
Northern Arizona
My husband and I both have Kindles (Kindle Touch editions with the special offers which made them cheap enough for us to buy them with my tiny Christmas bonus check from my last retail job). They work well for us as we have 1) extremely limited space and our book collections were taking up too much real estate 2) the E-ink really is easier on the eyes than reading books on a backlit lcd screen (like your computer or phone, though my husband does seem to use the Kindle app when mobile more than his Kindle) and 3) the Kindle is much cleaner than used books in my husband's germ-phobic eyes which makes things easier on me.

Not every book out there has a Kindle edition, but most of the newer business books (the ones with current information) do. Plus, Amazon has a little widget on pages for books that don't come in Kindle editions where you can request that the publisher does release a Kindle edition. Which is nice, even if it doesn't necessarily do anything to sway some publishers.

I love my Kindle because I don't have to keep a stack of the five books I am reading at once next to my bed or juggle the latest 1000 page Stephen King book (Under the Dome drove me insane because of it's size). I do look forward to having an iPad at some point to be able to read magazines on as my stack of interior design magazines currently weighs approximately three tons which is not ideal when moving.

somniloquist

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jun 8, 2012
Los Angeles
Anyone here use a Kindle or another e-reader device?

I use a Kindle. Here's why:

1. I used to have a lot of books filling up my house, piled everywhere. I gave them all away and re-bought the useful books on Kindle. I can now re-use that space.

2. Books are priced favorably on the Kindle. They're typically less than $10, irrespective of the physical book price.

3. Your bookmarks and highlighted passages are saved to Amazon's cloud. You can retrieve them at any time. You can also share your highlights with your friends to Twitter or Facebook. I have had numerous interesting social media conversations started by my Kindle highlights.

4. You can share books across devices. I share my book library with my family, and when I used to have employees, I would also share with them. Anytime someone I hold in high esteem recommends a book to me, I immediately buy it. Anytime an employee requests a book, I buy it. I can reuse these books and share them with all of my family, friends and employees.

In short, it's fantastic.

No, I don't work for Amazon.

futhey

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 18, 2012
Wouldn't have read the Fastlane if I hadn't gotten a kindle, because nothing is more of a turn-off to me than a financial self-help book. "It's a scam" to me until it's proven otherwise (And it usually is!)

And I wouldn't have ever considered buying a kindle in a million years either, until I got one for free and fell in love with it.

It's just so convenient, with very few (if any) trade-offs. I am traveling more days than I'm at home (by choice) and I also have a room full of books I can't read or take with me. Need solved.

Plus you have to respect their business model, I mean, Amazon is doing just about everything right as far as I can tell. They're giving away 3G wispernet anywhere in the world and really pushing publishers and authors to make everything available for kindle. It's polished and it works well.

Some books don't work on e-ink, but for everything else (and to answer the OPs original question) I love my kindle and I'm not looking back.

Bruce

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Feb 1, 2012
Canada
I have a Kobo Touch and so far I love using it. You can adjust the font, margins and line spacing for the text. It's really customizable to please your eyes. Once you go from lcd/backlit screens to eInk you won't go back! unless it's for paper books.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.