The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[AMA] Importing & wholesaling for resale on eBay.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Just read all 52 pages of only your posts, but I just have one question.
How do you find a good product to sell? Just kidding.
Good job on your sales goals the last two months and thanks for taking the time to do all of this.
Instead of liking 100 posts, I'll just make it rain $500 in cyber money.
EDIT: I lied, it only let me send $100. IOU for $400.

Azif

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jul 4, 2014
WOW! Why does Christmas always bring out the crazies?

I have spent the last 2 days emailing a lady back and forth. She purchased an item from me a month ago and now says it is defective/ not working properly. I told her that i stand behind all my products 100% and will of course accept a return from her for this item. I issued her a return shipping label and told her to simply attach the label to the package and I would pay for the return shipping. Pretty normal for a return... And then she lost her mind! She emailed me multiple times saying she wanted an immediate refund and would not return the item. I emailed her back and explained that I could not issue a refund without the defective item being returned. Now for the last 2 days she has emailed me threatening to call and report me to everyone but God Himself!

Running your own business is awesome, but sometimes it sure does make you question the sanity of the rest of the world!

This is so funny, must be someone who desperately just wants free products.

Glorydog

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 8, 2015
Northwest Arkansas
I have not read all pages, but I am going to. I'm about half way through at the moment. Forgive me if this has already been asked and I over looked it or haven't gotten to it yet. I was wondering if I should be focusing on basic items, items that are very general, for example a standard water bottle, or if I should be looking at unique, almost one of a kind products, like a black and silver owl necklace. I feel that I have bad examples, but I am sure that you get my point.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
This is so funny, must be someone who desperately just wants free products.
I got the best message yesterday from someone who wanted a product for free. They just straight up asked me to send them the product without paying for it! My wife and I got a good laugh out of it. Some people are always wanting a handout.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
I normally do that as well, but scammers rub me the wrong way. I have no problems giving people full refunds rather than deal with the hassle, but if someone is scamming me I will go out of my way to make it hard on them.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
My sales have been doing fantastic. Have already grossed $2,100 for the month. The 4 products that I have are really solid. Ecom Man and others I wanted to ask you guys how long have have you been selling your longest product, or most profitable? And do you feel comfortable having it stay that way for the foreseeable future?
Having 4 solid products is awesome! My advice is always be looking for new products. It is better to have 20 items so if one takes a hit you still have 19. The more baskets you have your eggs in the better.

barren92

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 12, 2015
georgia,united states
My sales have been doing fantastic. Have already grossed $2,100 for the month. The 4 products that I have are really solid. Ecom Man and others I wanted to ask you guys how long have have you been selling your longest product, or most profitable? And do you feel comfortable having it stay that way for the foreseeable future?
how long have you been importing?

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Got a question for ya.

Well first, thanks for the value your providing, I actually started importing which was a big step for me.

The samples I got, they came like they were thrown in the DHL box with some boxes for the products.

They were slightly dirty, a little dust. The boxes they gave me were Chinese wording.

The products themselves, they look good, I've sold 7 of them. they are definitely selling. Although I haven't received any feedback on them, so I really don't know how good they are.

How would I go about explaining to the manufacturer that the products were a little dirty and didn't exactly look "freshly made". And getting boxes with american wording? I've noticed if I say something specific to the asians, they really have a hard time understanding what I'm saying.

Do I literally just tell them "ill order more if you can get me american boxes and make sure the products are clean before sending them? Do you make your own packaging for the products?

Is it just a bad manufacturer? Have you had any experience with these kinds of issues?

Thanks for your time.

KONIG

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Oct 8, 2014
California
When you have multiple variations of the same product, is it better for each to have its own listing or for it to be a combined listing? If combined is better, would it sort in the search results using the lowest priced variation?

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
I found this thread in the summer and I have been looking around for various products to import. I like the idea of having some different incomes streams coming in incase I have a bad month with my other business. But I had a ton of trouble finding a product to import. I was all over the place for months.

I eventually decided that I needed to systematize the research process.

If you're having trouble finding a product then try this:

1. Create a Google docs
2. Create the following columns:
a) date
b) Product title
c) Price
d) Price to Import
e) Profit Margins
f) Competition (low, med, or high)
g) Total units sold from date discovered
h) Change in units sold (i.e., +1,+2,+3) - ** This is a key field for me.
i) Most current units sold
j) Ebay listing links
k) Sourcing listing for imported product after I begin to look for one
l) Comments

3. Fill the columns and analyze the products

I looked for around 30 products and listed them all. I'm still growing my list. I check up on each product about 2 times per day. I have already found 5-6 good products to import and a bunch of bad products that I thought were good. Now I need to move to step #2 and look into sourcing and whether the numbers will work out.

I'm basically analyzing everything and taking my time. This process seems kind of intense for finding a product, but it helped get me over the hump of how to find a product in the first place. Now I have so many options that I don't even know where to start.

PDeezy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Feb 14, 2014
Sydney
I found this thread in the summer and I have been looking around for various products to import. I like the idea of having some different incomes streams coming in incase I have a bad month with my other business. But I had a ton of trouble finding a product to import. I was all over the place for months.

1. Create a Google docs
a) date
b) Product title
c) Price
d) Price to Import
e) Profit Margins
j) Ebay listing links
l) Comments

I looked for around 30 products and listed them all. I'm still growing my list. I check up on each product about 2 times per day. I have already found 5-6 good products to import and a bunch of bad products that I thought were good. Now I need to move to step #2 and look into sourcing and whether the numbers will work out.

I'm basically analyzing everything and taking my time. This process seems kind of intense for finding a product, but it helped get me over the hump of how to find a product in the first place. Now I have so many options that I don't even know where to start.

Thanks for this, I've been having an incredibly tough time finding a product and something like what you've suggested might be what can get me over my hump! I've looked at hundreds of items from windscreen wiper blades to hand blenders to blood pressure monitors to aquarium accessories and everything in between! I'm just not seeing anything I can make a profit on once shipping and eBay fees are taken into account. I've thought about doing it the other way, finding local Australian suppliers with items I can ship overseas but most Australian suppliers don't want to deal with small eBay sellers.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
haha I was looking into the exact same stuff. I figured out that in some cases you have to get creative with some stuff. For example, I took a general product and typed leopard spotted infront of it and found a good product.

Someone in this thread also mentioned to go to Amazon and type [ ] then sort by most popular in each category. That really helped me find products to put on my list. I figured out that if you're doing the research the right way then you should be following a system and completely consumed by it. You'll find something.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Got a question for ya.

Well first, thanks for the value your providing, I actually started importing which was a big step for me.

The samples I got, they came like they were thrown in the DHL box with some boxes for the products.

They were slightly dirty, a little dust. The boxes they gave me were Chinese wording.

The products themselves, they look good, I've sold 7 of them. they are definitely selling. Although I haven't received any feedback on them, so I really don't know how good they are.

How would I go about explaining to the manufacturer that the products were a little dirty and didn't exactly look "freshly made". And getting boxes with american wording? I've noticed if I say something specific to the asians, they really have a hard time understanding what I'm saying.

Do I literally just tell them "ill order more if you can get me american boxes and make sure the products are clean before sending them? Do you make your own packaging for the products?

Is it just a bad manufacturer? Have you had any experience with these kinds of issues?

Thanks for your time.
Contact the supplier and tell them the issues with the product. If they say they will correct them and follow through then great! If they say they can't or say they will but then don't; move on to another supplier. With most products there are plenty of suppliers. Some are good, some are bad, and some are in the middle. Find the good ones and it makes the process a ton easier.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
When you have multiple variations of the same product, is it better for each to have its own listing or for it to be a combined listing? If combined is better, would it sort in the search results using the lowest priced variation?
Having the same listing is better for a couple of reasons. First, the price on your listing goes by whichever variation is cheaper. So if you have a popular one selling at $20 and an unpopular one at $10, $10 is where your listing is placed when sorted by price. Second, when you sell a lot of products through one listing you will be more likely to get "best match" than if you have smaller sales numbers spread among multiple listings.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014

1. Create a Google docs
a) date
b) Product title
c) Price
d) Price to Import
e) Profit Margins
j) Ebay listing links
l) Comments

Awesome way to break it down and keep yourself organized! Fantastic!

brandonrush

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jul 23, 2012
Louisiana
What do you guys think about selling products with a copyrighted image, such a Mickey Mouse? Is it a big deal, or just something to stay away from?

Stay away from anything copyrighted, patented, trademarked, etc.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Just wanted to step in and thank @Ecom man for this thread and to everyone who shared their stories, successes and failures. I have spent the last week or so reading through every page of this thread before posting. I have slowly started looking at dhgate to try to find a product -- without much luck yet. I also read the StartUp Bros articles, which are a good addition to this thread.

Back in August of last year I started buying items at thrift stores to flip on Ebay and did ok with it, but I had to focus quite a bit of my energy on something else into September and ended up putting the Ebay thing aside. I still have a bunch of things on my floor that I need to list and try to sell and a stack of boxes that look terrible in one of my other rooms. It's time to get my butt moving.

So with that said, a couple questions:

1. Let's say on DHGate I see an item selling for $2 per piece. I then go and check Ebay. Is there a certain eyeball figure you're looking at? If you're going to always offer Free Shipping and add that into the cost you really have to find good margins. Here is some quick math I did:

Example:

Double your money:
Your total cost is $2 per piece and you can sell for $13.35 on Ebay.
30% goes to fees = $13.35 * 30% = $4.01.
Free Shipping = $5.35
Subtotal = $3.99
Total = $3.99 - $2.00 = $1.99 profit == 99.5% profit

Or if you're just looking for a 30% profit margin:

Total Cost = $2 per piece, you're looking to sell for $11.36.
Fees = $11.36 * 30% = $3.41
Free Shipping = $5.35
Subtotal = $2.60
Total = $2.60 - $2.00 = $.60 profit == 30% profit margin

Those are rough numbers, but it just gives you an idea of what you should be looking for. Am I correct here? So the eyeball numbers on Ebay need to really be nearly 5-6x the cost to yourself to source the product. You have to figure out what you can source it for including all shipping fees to your own house and then be able to turn it around and sell it on Ebay.

2. Further, let's say I do find something like that and on Ebay it is all suppliers from China and Hong Kong. Is there an opportunity there because you can offer fast shipping from the US?

I found a product that isn't going to find the right margins, but it's all Chinese and Hong Kong sellers and the results turned up 574 results. A lot of competition and I'm going to pass on the product anyways, but it seems to be a trend that some of what I'm finding is mainly only being sold from overseas.

barren92

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 12, 2015
georgia,united states
2. Further, let's say I do find something like that and on Ebay it is all suppliers from China and Hong Kong. Is there an opportunity there because you can offer fast shipping from the US?

From all of the research i have done on various products using the methods outlined in this thread. I have came to find that also. But i have also found that that is a great opportunity from finding a product like that where there is alot of overseas sellers and only one or two u.s. sellers that offer free standard shipping. I found a product like this with one u.s. seller and there was about a 40% mark up over the overseas competition and offered free standard shipping. Guess who was getting the sales? The u.s. seller was. Granted the overseas guys were getting sales also but as stated in the thread. 9 times out of ten they will buy from a u.s. seller over china simply because of the shipping time. Couple that with great customer service and FAST shipping. You've got a return customer. Atleast thats what i have gathered so far from this thread. Add value to the market and the money will come.

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
I think I found a product I could possibly import and profit from (maybe actually source it here in the USA).

I tried to find a supplier, but surprisingly its not that easy to find one. In fact, all I can find are ones selling a variant of that item (different color/ material).

The funny thing is the product is actually just an already existing product, but marketed and used in a different way. But I believe people are manufacturing this product specifically for the "new" purpose. Why?

Instead of being sold in "rolls", the eBay sellers are selling them in "sheets". I can't really say anymore without giving away the product. But there's no way the sellers are taking the "rolls" by themselves, and turning them into "sheets" to sell individually.

I'm trying all the keywords they use into Alibaba, Aliexpress, and DHgate, but I can't find a supplier that is selling this exact product.

Should I contact one of suppliers for the variants and ask them if they sell the kind I am looking for?

G

GuestUser112

I have just decided to start my own clothing line in the fitness industry and i am looking to buy wholesale clothing and clothing print and i was wondering if you had any advice for me as this is quite a big investment for me at the age of 19 as a student at university.
If you really want to start your own clothing line, know this: buying wholesale clothing and stamping your own logo on it is NOT going to build a good brand, specifically because the quality of the clothing itself will probably be low. Look at great clothing brands. I really like LRG. Not because it'd popular or the logo. The mission statements they put on their clothing helps a bit and their designs are cool too, but the number one reason that I like their clothing is because it fits great and looks good. They design that stitching themselves.

So if you want to make a bit of cash, buying wholesale and branding it and selling it is OK. But if you REALLY want to start a clothing LINE, you should focus more one what you need to learn in order to make a high quality product, instead of focusing on how you can make money right now. Look at stitching, style, materials, artwork, etc.

The MOST important thing everybody new to entrepreneurship needs to appreciate is PROCESS. Mj says it a lot for a reason. Just my two cents. If you want to be the next Daymond John, wholesale is not the way to establish a brand. quality quality quality

AceCobra1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 6, 2015
I was just wondering items bought from alibab, for door to door shipping, do you guys always use courier that the seller quotes your or would you request other services i.e. instead of DHL/ FeDex, use the EMS/ SAL postage? Does it work out to be cheaper or the same? I am importing 17KG worth of items but it isn't particularly big... like the carton is roughly 41 x 41 x 35 cm... got quoted $158 using DHL which seems to be the going rate with world freight rates

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Just wanted to step in and thank @Ecom man for this thread and to everyone who shared their stories, successes and failures. I have spent the last week or so reading through every page of this thread before posting. I have slowly started looking at dhgate to try to find a product -- without much luck yet. I also read the StartUp Bros articles, which are a good addition to this thread.

Back in August of last year I started buying items at thrift stores to flip on Ebay and did ok with it, but I had to focus quite a bit of my energy on something else into September and ended up putting the Ebay thing aside. I still have a bunch of things on my floor that I need to list and try to sell and a stack of boxes that look terrible in one of my other rooms. It's time to get my butt moving.

So with that said, a couple questions:

1. Let's say on DHGate I see an item selling for $2 per piece. I then go and check Ebay. Is there a certain eyeball figure you're looking at? If you're going to always offer Free Shipping and add that into the cost you really have to find good margins. Here is some quick math I did:

Example:

Double your money:
Your total cost is $2 per piece and you can sell for $13.35 on Ebay.
30% goes to fees = $13.35 * 30% = $4.01.
Free Shipping = $5.35
Subtotal = $3.99
Total = $3.99 - $2.00 = $1.99 profit == 99.5% profit

Or if you're just looking for a 30% profit margin:

Total Cost = $2 per piece, you're looking to sell for $11.36.
Fees = $11.36 * 30% = $3.41
Free Shipping = $5.35
Subtotal = $2.60
Total = $2.60 - $2.00 = $.60 profit == 30% profit margin

Those are rough numbers, but it just gives you an idea of what you should be looking for. Am I correct here? So the eyeball numbers on Ebay need to really be nearly 5-6x the cost to yourself to source the product. You have to figure out what you can source it for including all shipping fees to your own house and then be able to turn it around and sell it on Ebay.

I found a product that isn't going to find the right margins, but it's all Chinese and Hong Kong sellers and the results turned up 574 results. A lot of competition and I'm going to pass on the product anyways, but it seems to be a trend that some of what I'm finding is mainly only being sold from overseas.
I avoid low dollar products because shipping costs eat up a lot of your margins. Your eBay fees should be closer to 15% than 30% so thats another $1.70 profit per item. That totally changes your numbers. Personally I am not going to import a product to make $2 for each sale. It is a lot of time and effort for just $2. I prefer $15-20+ per sale.

MendeGames

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Apr 26, 2014
Hickory, North Carolina
I avoid low dollar products because shipping costs eat up a lot of your margins. Your eBay fees should be closer to 15% than 30% so thats another $1.70 profit per item. That totally changes your numbers. Personally I am not going to import a product to make $2 for each sale. It is a lot of time and effort for just $2. I prefer $15-20+ per sale.
This is definitely something I have found. There are lots of products with margins that seem good until you have to take into account shipping costs.

NYCGoblin

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Oct 14, 2014
New York
Holy crap what a day. Made today what it takes me almost 2 weeks to make at my current job. Don't know how consistent these 2 new products are going to be for me, but if they continue on to be even close to what they are right now then I will have a large amount of capital to play around with. Thank you to you guys here for all the great information that you have shared here.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Im communicating with a supplier about ordering a larger order. They are charging me 40 for paypal fees?

I tried researching it. Couldn't find anything, is it typical for suppliers to charge you directly for paypal fees?

AceCobra1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 6, 2015
Im communicating with a supplier about ordering a larger order. They are charging me 40 for paypal fees?

I tried researching it. Couldn't find anything, is it typical for suppliers to charge you directly for paypal fees?

From my limited experience, they all seem to charge 5% of the final cost if paying by paypal... Would it be cheaper if I used escrow/ alipay ?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.