The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

8 Eyewear: From Idea, to Launch, to Growth (And Quitting the Job)

Idea threads

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Damn!! Looks like I may be needing a pair of shades.......

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Damn!! Looks like I may be needing a pair of shades.......

lol thanks bud. glad you like the new versions

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Nice progress.

Have you tested matte or even gloss black with just a green "8" I like the black and green scheme but not on the eight..maybe the "8" isn't possible at this stage.

anyways..once they're ready I'll probably pick up a matte black..would be sweet if just the 8 was green though

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Nice progress.

Have you tested matte or even gloss black with just a green "8" I like the black and green scheme but not on the eight..maybe the "8" isn't possible at this stage.

anyways..once they're ready I'll probably pick up a matte black..would be sweet if just the 8 was green though

thanks!

the old designs were like that. there still up here >http://iwear8.com/v1/ the paint wasnt coming out nicely on the 8 symbol. in the future i'll try other things when i have money to do so.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Love the design, I really hope they fit my face! I tend to have difficulty finding shades as my head is somewhat narrow so pretty much anything that I like, I can't wear. Can't wait to see them start to ship.

WorldImperator

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 29, 2014
Vick, I looked on your side from iPad, and...
I know the product is still in development phase, but I didn't found anything there, why should I buy glasses from unknown company for so much money, that I can easily have glasses from good reputation company with years of development on lenses and materials used and design?
For now I go out and go to shop.
This nothing than can convince me about quality or whatever, it's just fancy design with horrible price.

Do not feel offended, it's just customer review after visiting the site for that moment. So you can make it better :)

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Vick, I looked on your side from iPad, and...
I know the product is still in development phase, but I didn't found anything there, why should I buy glasses from unknown company for so much money, that I can easily have glasses from good reputation company with years of development on lenses and materials used and design?
For now I go out and go to shop.
This nothing than can convince me about quality or whatever, it's just fancy design with horrible price.

Do not feel offended, it's just customer review after visiting the site for that moment. So you can make it better :)

lol uhhh thanks.

Thank you for the response, I appreciate your opinions and advice.

Also, that's a temp website while the product is being manufactured. I use it to build an email subscription list, and to showcase the product while it's being made. and that is all.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Not everyone likes coffee. McDonalds serves billions and I haven't been there in decades.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Do not feel offended, it's just customer review after visiting the site for that moment. So you can make it better

There was an article about sunglasses in the Wharton journal years ago that said that all the big brands (Prada, D&G, Oakley, Channel, Ray Ban) are all sourced from like 1-2 mfgs you've never heard of in your life. Glasses could be purchased from them that are 100% identical to what these brands produce for like 1/4 the price. Doesn't matter; the company does most of its business selling to the established brands. People care more that the glasses say "Ray Ban" than they do about lens milling specs. That just looks good on your resume. I think Vic's next play is going to be to make an effort to put these shades on people that the public sees as admirable or enviable (TV stars, pro sports players, etc.), to build that same image.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
does anyone know what my supplier means by this? I've sent them an email to clarify, but while I wait, I'm wondering if anyone here might know what they mean. Maybe @zen*******

One more question,would you please let me know your customer model number for each color sunglasses.we can mark outside individual color box and inner carton and export outer carton, it is easy to identify each color.

I'm assuming they mean the UPC codes?

G

GuestUser113

does anyone know what my supplier means by this? I've sent them an email to clarify, but while I wait, I'm wondering if anyone here might know what they mean. Maybe @zen*******

One more question,would you please let me know your customer model number for each color sunglasses.we can mark outside individual color box and inner carton and export outer carton, it is easy to identify each color.

I'm assuming they mean the UPC codes?

I believe they are wanting a sku. http://blog.dukten.com/?p=62

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
SKU is normally for the retailer. Model number would be 8-BLKGRN etc. Normally, but that's from my retail experience not importing.

Awesome thread and glasses too man!

PopEmersen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA, US
Vick

They are trying to make it easy for you to identify what box has what product in it. If you associate different color schemes with Model Numbers they can put that model number on the outside of the box to help you identify what product is inside without opening it.

i.e.
Matte Black and Green = V1MATBLKGRN01
Matte Black and White = V1MATBLKWHT01
etc.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
ahh ok. ya that makes sense.

thanks guys.

so i guess I just make up whatever model number i want then

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Looking for some advice from people with importing, maybe @Vigilante @JAJT @Kak @(zen*******) can chime in, or anyone for that matter who has experience with importing from overseas.

I got my spot quote from DHL today for my cargo.

Total quote was $2,272

My cargo weight is 192 kgs, about 423 lbs

12 boxes at 80 x 30 x 50 cm

My DHL rep said they only offer 1 service from overseas to Canada, which is the Worldwide Express 2 business day service. Kinda weird, but I'm looking for the fastest way possible anyway, and 2 days seems pretty damn fast.

Anyway, does this quote sound decent? This does not include surcharges, fees, duties, taxes and customs charges.

Thanks guys, appreciate it!

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado
Are you planning to ship to customers yourself or via a fulfillment company? If using a fulfillment company, have them quote out your shipment from overseas. The guys I use take care of everything including all the paperwork to their door or mine.

What did your manufacturer quote you to use their shipping company?

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
Find some forwarders in the same district from the factory. Ask them for quotes, not just from DHL, other express companies and even Air Freight.

I'd pay 10x more if I asked DHL Portugal for quotes instead of forwarder (using DHL China).

Also, that size/value, you will pass the informal import limit won't you? Have you got that cared for?

Anyway, I think your problem is with the volume, volumetric weight will be much higher than actuall weight.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
I'm not using a fulfillment company. Gonna ship everything myself until I need a fulfillment company or a bigger house.

What do you mean if I use there shipping company?

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Also, that size/value, you will pass the informal import limit won't you? Have you got that cared for?

cared for?

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
cared for?

Here in Portugal if we pass the 1000€ limit (goods + shipping) we need to get a Customs "brooker" and get a shitton of documents and certifications. I always ship below 1000€, that way I can use the informal import process, I just send them the invoice, payment proof and order request and pay the VAT upfront.

I don't know how it is in Canada but I've heard about informal entry there too, idk if it was from @Vigilante or @Kak (or someone else). You will probably need to take care of some things but you are better asking someone already importing to Canada.

EDIT: http://www.oceanfreight.com/2013/01...rmal-entry-value-limit-effective-january-8th/

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
lol ya that's what I thought.

But there's other stuff in there to ;)

1200 Sunglasses, 1200 Hard Zip Cases, 1200 Microfiber Cloths, 1200 Box Packaging.

guess it adds up.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Your manufacturer most likely has accounts with local shipping offices.

o i see what you mean.

ya I need a brokerage service. I want DHL or someone to do all the crap work for me.

im not to concerned with money right now. my margins are 1400% on my product, so I can make that back fairly quickly. the preceding shipments will be done more cost friendly.

right now im more concerned with getting the product to me as fast as possible, and as smoothly as possible, for a decent price.

just curious if this quote is decent.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.