The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

2012 Beer & Pancakes

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Live A/b test next year. [throwback] teal tie vs bobby's inverted sweaterchest tie. Most touches wins....

DIS GON GET REALLLLLLLY AWKWARD

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Let me know what week it will be.

Wow, I just looked through all of last year (and through this year), and there weren't a whole lot of "slow" weekends . . .

The first 2 weekends in January were slow-er (we still brought in about $8-9 grand in January).

Doing some math, if fastlaners booked the rooms for a discount and we had 20 rooms booked times 3 nights (Thur, Fri, Sat), getting $8,000 divided by 60 room nights equals $133 per night (about $160 when you count taxes/charges).

These dates next year would be: Jan 3-6 or 10-13, 2013.

The second week of December was also pretty slow, but that's getting into Christmas parties and stuff. We brought in over 10 grand on those December weekends. This year's dates for that would be: Dec 6-9, 2012. That's around $167 per night ($200/night w/taxes and charges).

Weather that time of year (Dec and Jan) is usually partly sunny and 50s, or rain showers and 60s.

We have 34 rooms total. Three are super-basic, and 8 are lux.

Five rooms are suites (2 beds), the rest are all one bed per room. The suites average about the same as the super-basic room x 2, since they're bigger, but have a shared bath.

Let me know if there is interest in any of these dates. I know many are on budgets, so this may be too high (and we don't do points . . . sorry, Jill!)

All that being said, Napa Valley Fastlane Wine & Waffles might be kinda fun . . . :banana:

-Russ H

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
Dang is right! I thought we were shooting for a summer session, midway between February meets in PHX. Doesn't make a lot of sense to have a Napa session in January and then a PHX session a month later!

Bet we could find a summer location up here in Colorado... :smxB:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
So there's nothing between March and December? Dang! Good to be you, eh?

We had almost 60 people here for breakfast on Monday (a midweek day, NOT a weekend). Our room rates are between $150 and $400 a night right now (and it's not even April yet . . .)

Yeah, good to be me as far as the cashflow goes. By the end of February, we were already up over $100K YTD over last year. :banana:

-Russ H.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I just wanted to post my I wanted to go and I should have been there post to get it over with lol. and I totally understand how people like myself are percieved, and thats ok. Honestly in your position I would feel/think the exact same way.

I do really hope to attend one year in the near future! this year 2012 being the first year in as long as I can remember that we are in the black maybe 2013 is gonna be the one!

I agree with one of the previous posts on prioritys, as much as I would have loved to go to the b&p this year, and as much as I know it would have been money well spent, there were just other things that needed to be taken care of before I could make that trip. Now that 80% of them are checked off, things are on track to allow me the freedom to attend events like this :)

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia

cashflow3000

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jun 13, 2011
Bellingham, Washington, USA
Yeah, my fave post for this year was "I'm gonna come! Oh, wait, decided to go to a writer's conference instead." Made me laugh out loud! Writing is slowlane (I should know, I wrote monthly columns for 3 national and one international magazine, back when people still bought magazines). S-L-O-W-L-A-N-E.

Writing is somebody else's fastlane, in most cases, unless you write a book that sells at least 10 million copies....

Here's why I laughed: You'd have much greater likelihood of writing a book that sells millions of copies by 1) Reading MJ's book, and 2) Going to this year's B&P, where MJ himself talked about how he'd published the book (he formed his own publishing co)-- and WHY (hint: He makes a LOT more per book, and doesn't need to sell 10 million copies to make some decent coin)....

This is not a "slam" at whomever made that comment. Each year, there are doers, and there are wannabes.

The wannabes say "Oh, next year!" or "Wish I'd gone!".

And the doers just keep doing . . . and coming back, year after year.

-Russ H.

Hey Russ.

Sure, no problem, I don't feel slammed at all.

On the one hand, you are calling me out, saying that writing isn't Fastlane.

On the other hand, I chose my path based on what I read in MJ's book. (Seedling 3: Content Systems)

Wow. I'm sure it would have been great hearing MJ talking about how he published his book and why.

Yet you heard him, and are still knocking writing as S-L-O-W-L-A-N-E.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you, I understand where you are coming from.

Call me a wannabe.

I don't mind.

We all chose our own path, and I chose mine.

You don't hear me whining or complaining about what I "missed out on" or what I "should have done."

If you are right, and writing isn't Fastlane, then MJ is wrong, and I'm just wasting my time.

I'll find out soon enough.

In the meantime, I'll keep on doing what I'm doing, and you'll keep on thinking of me as a wannabe.

Thanks for the inspiration.

JW Hagarty
Bellingham, Washington

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
Sure, no problem, I don't feel slammed at all.

In the meantime, I'll keep on doing what I'm doing, and you'll keep on thinking of me as a wannabe.

Thanks for the inspiration.

I think you missed the point... He did say IN MOST CASES and unless your book or (Seedling 3: Content Systems) sells 10 million copies... he was not calling you out, just using the "words" as an example, not your immediate situation.

It is truly too bad you missed that part.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Cash. Don't go up against the club... just do your thing.

Make shit happen and get the last laugh.

cashflow3000

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jun 13, 2011
Bellingham, Washington, USA
I think you missed the point... He did say IN MOST CASES and unless your book or (Seedling 3: Content Systems) sells 10 million copies... he was not calling you out, just using the "words" as an example, not your immediate situation.

It is truly too bad you missed that part.

No, I didn't miss that point, I just chose to ignore it as invalid.

Russ's point was that those of us who SAID we were going to go to B&P,
then DIDNT go (for whatever reason), are wannabes, while those who went are doers.

His opinion, he's entitled. Fair enough.

He chose to use me as an example, so I decided to respond.

The issue of "is writing Fastlane or not?" is really a side issue.

It is clear from Russ's post that, from his experience, writing isn't Fastlane.

It is also clear, at least to me, that thinking the only way to go Fastlane from writing is to sell 10M copies is just wrong.

For instance, my Money System Target goal is $18M.

I'm not planning to get there entirely off my current project, but there's a number of ways that I could do so without selling 10M copies of a book.

Its just math people.

10M copies at $1.80 net per copy
1M copies at $18 per copy
500K copies at $36 per copy
100K copies at $72 per copy

etc.

This is exactly why (as Russ mentions) MJ self published his book.

More control and more profit per copy sold.

Anyways, I'm on a bit of a rant now but my back is up.

Have a great weekend everyone.

:)

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
People... there is no "laughing" to be had. Relax! Use what is worth using to get you from where you are, to where you want to go. There was no ill intent with Russ' example. I did not go this year either, and I am not making excuses. I chose not to go. End of story.

If you choose to take offense to any post for whatever reason, so be it - that is your issue. The example was valid, regardless of the specific circumstances.

Bottom line for you should be that your specific circumstance simply did not fit the example - it was just that the example was made with words that were available without the specific details.

Go "DO" your thing... it is YOUR ACTION (be it with your writing or whatever) that is what is important and what the real message was!

Sasha

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Oct 7, 2011
Denver
Soooo... on a different note...

Seeing as how most here expressed a willingness to go somewhere other than Phoenix to check out Napa and Russ' B&B, but Wine & Waffles doesn't seem likely anymore, would you guys be interested in a Beer & Beaches event in Ocho Rios, Jamaica?... From 30 sec. plus are places we either would or could go to amongst a few others like Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville.

BeerAndBeaches.jpg

For those who are on a budget, assuming sharing a room isn't out of the question, a grand ol' time can be had for my highballed estimate of 1,500*.

That includes registration, airfare (assuming you don't book last minute and aren't flying in from Alaska or some equally obscure and/or inconvenient area), transfer to the hotel, transportation in general, hotel accommodations, food, tips for food & transport, and the cost of a few outings if interested ex. Dunn's River (it's more fun and we can manage without the hand holding chain) & Irie Blue Hole (more pics after the main post so scroll down)... pretty much everything I could think of us needing to spend money on sans alcohol.

Besides being an awesome locale and the best time to go since February is right in the middle of winter season, Bobby could have his hair tie braided after Dana shaves it AND, not that it matters to Mike anymore, but beers can be had by those 18+.

Anyone up for it?

*Estimation assumes a B&B date of Feb 22nd-24th (which is flexible), and is highballed in ways like being based on a hotel stay from Feb.21st-25th in the 2nd best room (oceanfront with balcony suite) at Rooms on the Beach, flying AA instead of Spirit and the like (~40% less in available cities), going out every night, spending $30 (including tip) on dinner, taking taxis to places within walking distance, and an early enough arrival before the event/late enough departure after the event, to go out both the afternoon and night of the 21st and 24th.

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
Great idea Sasha! This would be instead of Phoenix, since you're proposing February?

I'm still wondering if there's any interest in a mid-year B&P. Phoenix is not the ideal vacation spot in the summer, but the mountains of Colorado are pretty nice... There are plenty of places to stay in any of the ski towns, with lots of options for entertainment if we want it. E.g. anybody up for an Alpine Slide?

[video=google;3081331618519894213]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3081331618519894213[/video]

Sasha

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Oct 7, 2011
Denver
Yes, instead of Phoenix...

Boulder? Denver? Where in Colorado and around what time do you have in mind?

Also, it seems there's a few regional mid-year meets going on so that's something to keep in mind as far interest/turn out is concerned.

I do believe there's a meet up in Vegas, Phoenix, and Florida in place or negotiations already... Kind of like mid-year local chapter events that will be followed by the national February meet up (international actually).

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
I was thinking up in one of the mountain ski towns -- Dillon/Silverthorne/Keystone or Winter Park are the closest to Denver, or possibly Vail. Dillon, CO - Google Maps

But if people are already planning midyear regional meets in Vegas or Phoenix, it's pretty redundant to try to do another one in Colorado. Though I guarantee you the mountains of Colorado are much more pleasant in July than Phoenix or Vegas... :)

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Yes, instead of Phoenix...

Boulder? Denver? Where in Colorado and around what time do you have in mind?

Also, it seems there's a few regional mid-year meets going on so that's something to keep in mind as far interest/turn out is concerned.

I do believe there's a meet up in Vegas, Phoenix, and Florida in place or negotiations already... Kind of like mid-year local chapter events that will be followed by the national February meet up (international actually).

Anyone have info on the FL meetup?

SaraK

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 25, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
I didn't realize there were local mini-meets. How are they organized? Is there a separate place for those on the forum?

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
I think they take for form of, "Hey Chris, I'm gonna be in town next week. Wanna get together for a beer?" LOL.

Uggh....I get those all the time...

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Yep, Andviv and I are meeting in about 2 hours in the DFW area. Anyone else up for a BS session?

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I think they take for form of, "Hey Chris, I'm gonna be in town next week. Wanna get together for a beer?" LOL.

Yup! Get them from time to time. Met a bunch of Fastlaners this way, then typically continue to invite them out past that if they are local. Always fun to have FL friends!

Uggh....I get those all the time...

I know people aren't mistaking you for me(HA!) so im not sure why people would be calling you chris! I don't have chest hair, dead giveaway they got the wrong person.

Damn, busted.

By the way, did u change ur number?
I texted you about it!

View attachment 3000
Twitter / Andres Vivas: http://t.co/a3RwUwPe

Awesome! We missed Greg when he was in DC.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I think it is too hard to get a lot of people to show up, there are always conflicts. The best thing is, set a date and place, and those that can/want to make it, will. Others won't. No hard feelings. Come up with another time and date later and see who can make it.

So, anybody else coming to the DC area soon? Contact Mr. Lighthouse, our DC-Area Director of mini-get-togethers...

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Sorry guys-- I don't want to dredge up dead points, but I haven't been around much (hiring and training new staff, and kicking butt w/our numbers is keeping me WAY too busy... I need a break!)

An attempt to clarify my earlier post (might not, sometimes my words fail me)

No, I didn't miss that point, I just chose to ignore it as invalid.

Russ's point was that those of us who SAID we were going to go to B&P,
then DIDNT go (for whatever reason), are wannabes, while those who went are doers.

Actually, that was not my point. Sorry if it came off that way.

Each and every moment-- every second-- we make decisions that have an impact on what we will do for the rest of our lives.

Each year, people choose to NOT go to B&P.

Some may be doers, some may be dreamers.

A LOT of them fall into the "dreamers who never quite do" category.

Not all of them.

But quite a few.

So here is the point I was trying to make (from the OP, that I did not express well):

The one consistent thing about B&P?

It's attended, in large part, by DOERS.

Who also happen to be great dreamers/entrepreneurial spirits.

So what we talk about, each year, is how to DO . . . your DREAMS.

That's an amazing, incredible time. Imagine being in a room with folks who DREAM BIG . . . and then share just how they ARE DOING what they dreamed about.

Not just "making statements" or platitudes "By 2013, I'm gonna be a millionaire!".

But actual, "OK, first I did this, then I did this, then . . . and now I have $40K/month in revenues" or "First we did this, then this, then we changed it to this . . . and last year we came close to 2 million dollars in rev."

THAT is what B&P is about, to me.

DOING our DREAMS-- and sharing HOW, with other B&Pers.

-Russ H.

BTW, the point about writing is that I was considered a pretty successful writer, back in the day. Being a highly paid columnist* for 3 monthly/semi-monthly magazines at the same time-- as a sideline-- is no small feat. My point is/was that the model for writing for $$$ has changed-- A LOT-- since those days. And if you're interested in making $$$ writing, hearing MJ's presentation was worth it's weight in platinum.

Again, sorry if I didn't make that more clear.

* For one magazine, the only other columnist who got paid anything close to me was a Pulitzer Prize winner and a regular staff writer for the NY Times (and I actually got paid more). I have to say, he was a much cooler guy that me, though! :banana:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.