The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

20 year old college student, let's go!

Jcapuano

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Nov 11, 2011
Smithfield, RI
Hello everyone, I'm an aspiring fastlane entrepreneur and a full time college student attending Bryant University. I was previously a student at Lasell College in Newton, Massachusetts and let's just say it did not fit me very well (It was known for its fashion design program). Needless to say I went there because of the significant scholarships and grants that they offered me, however I found myself losing motivation and conforming to the mediocrity of the typical college student. I realized that being there was sucking my passion away and the money was not worth it. I wasn't challenged, the teachers did not expect much from the students, the administration system made it an arduous process to take advanced courses (if they were even offered) and there were very few teachers that tried to educate and prepare students for the real world, instead of coddling them. That is why I made the decision to switch to a well renowned business school.
For a bit of background I have never been a "normal" person, and I don't intend to be. I see things very differently, partly due to my experiences in life, and partly because of my favorite word "why?". I was a very inquisitive child and it led me to question everything and think critically. I always enjoyed learning and even though my family was never wealthy, my parents sacrificed so much in order to put me through private schooling, and for that I am forever grateful for. My private elementary school led me to a private preparatory high school, and it allowed me the experiences to see all types of people: silver-spooned adolescents who will never have to work a day in their lives but attend school because it is the socially accepted norm, dirt poor teenagers that work hard but will never see financial freedom because they do not work smart, intelligent students with no common sense whatsoever, and many more. In my sophomore year of high school when I was 15 years old my father passed away in an industrial accident and that dramatically shaped my life. It was the most traumatic experience in my life (and I've had more than enough harrowing experiences), and I spent 3 years of my life doing absolutely nothing. I wasted 3 years, 1,095 days, 26,280 hours of my life. If I worked that many hours even at minimum wage that would have been over $200,000!!! Now granted I was still attending school and I went to college right after high school so working 24/hrs a day is not a plausible expectation, but if I had a business system I could have been getting paid 24 hours a day. Whenever I think back to those times it fuels my anguish and I get antsy. I can't be complacent because I know where I am, where I could be, and where I want to be.
I see a majority of the students at my college who have a lot of schooling an no education, and that both saddens and humors me. Their desires are to have that 9-5 job and they limit themselves to studying every day of the week and drinking on the weekends. They study to get that A+ and spit back the information that the teachers say with no critical thinking involved whatsoever. They aren't learning anything and their creativity and capacity for knowledge has been stifled. They are going through the motions just like everyone who conforms to play the role of the good little worker drone. My idea of a job is not working for crooked companies that treat workers as disposable objects. I always wanted something more. I've worked hard all my life and I want to become an indispensable asset.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

G-man422

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 5, 2011
Ohio, USA
JC, it's great to have you here. Sometimes the most difficult moments in our lives truly motivate us the most.

I know exactly what you mean by this quote:
I see a majority of the students at my college who have a lot of schooling an no education
It's sad in a way, but good for us :)

Welcome to TMF forum!

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
You sound a lot like me. I am sure my parents hated me for asking why all of time. Looking back I think it is amazing how much trouble asking why got me into. I know teachers hated it when I would ask why.:smxB: I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Boston3432

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 30, 2011
Boston
It made me laugh when you talked about your schooling. It is good to be able to relate to somebody as I am currently at Lasell College. I totally agree with you on how the school is ran and how it isn't much of a challenge, teacher's can't relate well to students, and how the classes seem boring and just suck the life right out of you. I feel the same way, and the most important stuff I've learned has been stuff I have done on my own. I know through the school I have not learned much at all on taking my life to the fastlane so all of my learning has been done on my own like getting my own internships to actually get out and talk to people, see how other businesses were ran etc. Also most of my knowledge comes from reading different business books on my own outside of the mandatory class reading. Next semester I am taking an entrepreneur and venture creation class in which we are supposed to talk to local entrepreneurs and small business owners. I have high expectations and am hoping it is going to be worth while and be able to obtain some more knowledge of turning my ideas into an actual startup. With how other classes have been here however I can't get my hopes up too high. It's nice to relate to someone though, good luck in the future!

Jcapuano

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Nov 11, 2011
Smithfield, RI
What grade are you in if you dont mind me asking, also if you want to have good teachers and good course, Jerry B. Madkin's upper level business classes are taught well, Kosakowski for math classes. Stay away from Brad Allen, he will make you hate math, also dont take arron toffler. (It's ironic I took Honors Calculus in my high school I got 20/20 on the placement and they made me take precalc, then calc, then statistics.... I was done with math by my sophomore year, and I would have been done my freshman year if they allowed freshman in junior level classes). Good Luck at Lasell, if you are as intelligent as I think you are you should be getting Deans List without attending classes, so it might be in your best interest to transfer once your gpa is high enough to get a solid scholarship at a more reputable school. I also had a business idea that I am currently trying to implement at my school and I know Lasell is in dire need of it so you might be seeing my name around campus soon.

Boston3432

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 30, 2011
Boston
Hey thanks for the advice! I agree with you there where you don't even really need to attend class to make the Deans list here. Unfortunately I am a senior this year and will be graduating in the spring so tranfering won't be an option for me. I didn't really get into full drive with this and serious about starting up my own business until the end of my sophomore year. That's when I realized I was just falling into that daze of being a normal college student, attend class, do homework and just go through college to get a degree and get that best paying 9-5 job I could get. By the time I started researching and learning on my own I was getting into my junior year so it was kind of too late to tranfer. But the only one I can blame is myself for that, so I have been working hard on my own to get my knowledge through the internet, books, this forum, and talking to different people. When I graduate this spring I will be trying to put my business knowledge in use by hopefully trying to actually implement my business ideas. If need be down the road I decide to go to graduate school I can do that at a bigger, more reputable school. As of right now though, all I can do is make the most out of what I have. I'm curious about your business idea and incorporating this school into it. Let me know how that goes in the future once you get it out.

Jcapuano

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Nov 11, 2011
Smithfield, RI
I assure you I will, and it's funny because it's not a huge business idea, just a way to gain some constant revenue and hopefully a bit of capital for my more serious business idea. But it does help people and it kind of preys on the oblivious student body that is Lasell College.... (Smokers especially, and we all know how many of them there are) lol

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...