The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

$1,300? Some say gold may hit $2,300!

Anything related to investing, including crypto

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
I thought gold was high a few years ago and avoided it. I think it was hovering around $1000. Now it's at $1300. Do you think gold is the next bubble?

Tom

http://money.cnn.com/2010/09/24/markets/thebuzz/index.htm

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Gold finally traded above $1,300 an ounce
Friday morning. So is that the peak or can the precious metal actually head even higher?
As tempting as it is to say that gold is an absurdly overvalued yellow bubble, several pretty savvy people say there are compelling reasons for gold to keep climbing.

Some investors are worried that the Federal Reserve's commitment to buying more Treasurys could mean higher inflation down the road. So far, inflation has not been a near-term problem. And the chart at the top of this page clearly shows that gold can go up without inflation pressures.
At the same time, fears of an economic slowdown and deflation in Europe and the United States haven't completely gone away. And gold often rises when people are nervous.
So in either scenario -- economy tanks or economy heats up and inflation takes off -- gold could go up.
"Gold is not just an inflation hedge anymore. It's a systemic risk hedge," said Valentijn van Nieuwenhuijzen, head of fixed income and economics at ING Investment Management in The Hague, Netherlands. "Whatever shock to the financial system you can think of materializing, that's a reason to buy gold."
With that in mind, van Nieuwenhuijzen said that he would not be surprised if gold prices headed even higher for at least the next three to six months.
Some think the gold rush could last even longer than that. Stefane Marion, chief economist and strategist for NBF Financial in Montreal, points out that gold actually may not be as expensive as gold bears claim.
Marion said that some are arguing that gold is too pricey because it is trading at a historically high level when compared to a widely watched index that tracks the dollar versus a basket of other currencies.

But Marion points out that this index only includes six currencies and is heavily weighted toward the euro. He said that if you look at gold prices when compared to another dollar index that the Federal Reserve uses, which is comprised of 26 currencies, gold still is trading about 50% below its peak price.
Marion said gold would have to rise another $650 or so an ounce before it would truly look overvalued. That puts you close to $2,000 an ounce.
"It's good to be prudent when looking at gold and this is not to say gold hasn't had a good run already. But the valuation may not be as stretched as you might think," he said.
David Beahm, vice president of economic research with Blanchard & Company Inc, a New Orelans-based investing firm that specializes in tangible assets like gold and other precious metals, agreed.
Keep track of gold and other commodities
He noted that gold prices, when adjusted for inflation, are still well below where they were in the early 1980s. He said that factoring in inflation, gold could climb as high as $2,200 to $2,300 an ounce.
Beahm conceded that gold may pull back a bit in the short-term because the recent move up has been extremely quick and may be a case of coming too far too fast.
It's also unwise to go overboard and put too much of any particular investment in your portfolio. Owning some gold-related investments, be it the commodity itself, mining stocks, precious mutual funds or exchange-traded funds, makes sense. But it should not be the lion's share of your assets.
That said, Beahm thinks the ingredients are still in place for gold to head significantly higher over the next three to five years.
"For gold prices to not keep going up, the economy would have to improve to the point where the Fed felt it didn't need to print money, the dollar would have to strengthen and the problems in Europe would have to end. We don't see that happening," he said.
Reader comment of the week, Abbot angst and 1,300! I wrote on Wednesday about how more companies are boosting their dividends. While that may be boring, the quest for higher yields is also a good sign that investors are acting more rationally. Paul Rubillo agreed.
"Dividend + Compound Interest = wealthy retirement. Slow and steady wins the race," he wrote.
Slow and steady may be great for investing. But it's not good when you're recalling a product for children. I ranted in a Buzz video Thursday about how poorly Abbott Laboratories handled its Similac baby formula debacle.
Here's a quick update. Late Thursday, Abbott finally had its recall Web site functioning smoothly and it even published a PDF with recalled lot numbers. But that was almost 20 hours after the recall was announced -- an eternity when babies and their feeding schedules are concerned.
Why did Abbott not make sure it could handle the increase in call volume and online traffic before announcing the recall? Or wait until it had the affected lot numbers ready to publish along with the recall?
You don't have to be a crisis management guru to predict that telling parents that something they're feeding their kid may have beetles in it would lead to a massive surge in phone and Web traffic.
Finally, over in Twitterland, I've been urging people to follow me so I could get to 1,300 followers before gold crossed $1,300. Gold was the victor by a few hours. Curses! But @ivanhoff, who's also the research guru at StockTwits, gets this glittering shout-out for signing up as the 1,300th Buzz follower.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

max momo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 15, 2008
California
CNN/MSM have been bad mouthing gold for a solid decade, while their owners have been accumulating such. To mention that gold is/will be a bubble, without any benchmarks or criteria or ANY given reasoning simply carrys out their standard party line. That, in of itself, supports accumulation. You will know gold is in a 'bubble' when CNN carries a daily story on 'why now is the time to buy gold'.

The 'bubble' is only a media construct, there is no such thing as a 'bubble' in money. Gold IS money, and nothing else. (per JP Morgan)

BTW, here are the major bubbles plotted against each other for comparison:

Bubble Comparisons

ramy98

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 1, 2007
Florida
BINGO max momo, In my opinion Gold / Silver will continue to go up for a few years to come...

It is not a bubble but it will be a massive bubble at one point in time in the future as people from all over the world will be taking part !

Oceanside

Banned
Dec 8, 2010
I watch currencies pretty much all day everyday, and I wouldn't expect Gold to "bubble" until many of it's major investors decide to start profit taking. And even then it may just be a large retracement.

I'm not an expert trader myself but I am learning and study it full time.

The only thing I have to add to this conversation of any merit is that we must remember Gold is a fairly Finite Commodity and the market for it, is not as large as the Stock Market or Forex, and therefore it will have a lower ceiling.

Also keep in mind however there is "mass mania" out there portending the doom of the dollar and the other "fiat currencies" in the world.

I would expect a slow steady rise in Gold over the next year to several years, and if I was looking for the "bubble" or "ceiling" I would look for a very steep increase in price, and once I saw that taking place, I would have my finger on the "sell button".

My 2 pennies.

~Free Your Life, Live Your Dreams~

archon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 6, 2010
With the fiat currency argument going on- with China deciding to increase it's interest rate, and gold still growing (although maybe folks will pull out now that I just threw a little money into GLD- mark this date!), I wonder what short term can take the legs out of gold continuing it's growth?
Maybe if the FED decides to not go through with it's full commitment to buy bonds (it is six installments, yes?)

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
I read the other day that gold is expected to go over $25,000 per ounce.

Unfortunately, most of us won't live that long.

By the way, I know the guy who wrote that personally. I see him every morning when I'm shaving.

AJGlobal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 14, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
With the fiat currency argument going on- with China deciding to increase it's interest rate, and gold still growing (although maybe folks will pull out now that I just threw a little money into GLD- mark this date!), I wonder what short term can take the legs out of gold continuing it's growth?
Maybe if the FED decides to not go through with it's full commitment to buy bonds (it is six installments, yes?)

I've been watching GLD and SLV for the past month or so. Just looking at the 6 mth chart there is no sign of slowing down. There was some profit taking here and there that brought the price down a little bit but volume stayed steady and it bounced right back. If this trend continues into the first week or two of the new year I may be looking for a small pullback to jump in. I'm more interested in SLV to be honest with you.

SLV has a very interesting 6 month chart. The trend line looks similar to GLD but average trading volume has nearly tripled in the past 6 months and driven the price up with it. If this volume holds I will be looking to jump here and as well. There also has been alot of news floating around about silver mines, production numbers on these new mines etc etc. I think Silver could do very well from what I'm seeing.

Mind you I'm no pro when it comes to trading but I have been doing my homework and most of what I've been researching is long term, not short term. If I had to choose right now between GLD and SLV, I'd take SLV.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Gold might drift a little higher in the near term, but it's headed back to $350 an ounce in our lifetime. Figure out when and you can get out of the way. I'm guessing it will be there within the next 5 years again.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Saw Warren Buffet on TV a couple months ago and he was saying something about why he wouldn't invest in Gold. He basically said, "You want to invest your money in something that if you gathered all of it up in the world could fit into a cube 65 feet by 65 feet? And you can't really do anything with it? No thanks, that's just ridiculous..."

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Saw Warren Buffet on TV a couple months ago and he was saying something about why he wouldn't invest in Gold. He basically said, "You want to invest your money in something that if you gathered all of it up in the world could fit into a cube 65 feet by 65 feet? And you can't really do anything with it? No thanks, that's just ridiculous..."

What an amazing lack of imagination/foresight!!!!

Gold_Toilet.jpg

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I read the other day that gold is expected to go over $25,000 per ounce.

Unfortunately, most of us won't live that long.

By the way, I know the guy who wrote that personally. I see him every morning when I'm shaving.

Some days, Bobbo, ya just makes me laugh. :rofl:

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
hakrjak said:
hakrjak
What an amazing lack of imagination/foresight!!!!

I think you misunderstand his point.

Warren Buffet has made his billions by working w/abundance and growth.

Not scarcity.

-Russ H.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Incidentally, gold has many uses. It just has next to no uses for the masses... Computer parts, ugly smiles, and bits of functionless clothing accessories being the three that come to mind.

michael

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 22, 2008
Australia

Why invest in stocks? I mean really they are just certificates certifying ownership in a company.

"You want to invest your money in something that you can print out and pile up in a stack half an inch high? And you can't really do anything with it? No thanks, that's just ridiculous..."

I just used the same reasoning as Buffet, my statement (much like his statement) makes little sense.

There is an agenda behind everything Buffet says, when he calls for death taxes it is not out of the good of his heart but rather because he makes billions from the float on life insurance. When he says higher taxes on working Americans is in the national interest it is easy to forget he's admitted to paying a mere 15% effective tax rate and rather then signing his wealth over the the treasury is giving it all away where he wishes. He owns one of of the largest publicly listed companies so of course he'd deride commodities.

Incidentally if you invested in gold one year ago you'd be up 34%.
au0365nys.gif

On the other hand if you invested in the S&P 500 which on January 5, 2010 stood at 1136.52 and now stands at 1270.20 you'd be up a mere 12%. Furthermore you might find your tax burden on gold is significantly less than on shares.

I wouldn't bet on gold hitting $2,300. It's possible but not something I'd put my own money on. That said with the US Federal Reserve still committed to devaluing the USD you'd be a brave soul to bet against gold.

In the short term with resources coal has and is still going to rise. I took long positions in Australian coking coal producers that are away from the flooded areas as soon as I heard Queensland mines were declaring force majeure. At the monent 75% of coal exports in Queensland are disrupted, it will be weeks and in some cases months before these mines are back at full capacity and seeing demand for coal remains high there is only one way for prices to go.

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts