The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Choosing the right domain name

Bono

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 15, 2015
Hey guys,

I need some help with deciding what domain name I should use.
So for EXAMPLE my company is named "Gluten Free"
The domain name glutenfree.com is taken but the domain name glutenfree.org is free, I could buy the .org but I could also choose for a varation like eatglutenfree.com

glutenfree.org vs eatglutenfree.com, what would you choose?

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
Neither of those domains are available. Think outside of the box...picking a name is tough. I use this site to get ideas and autogenerate names which have unregistered domains available - www.leandomainsearch.com

Bono

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 15, 2015
Neither of those domains are available. Think outside of the box...picking a name is tough. I use this site to get ideas and autogenerate names which have unregistered domains available - www.leandomainsearch.com

It's just an example. I'm not gonna post the real name of my company here.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
If you're looking to run a serious business with a brand don't bother with an org, get the com.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
If that was always true, it wouldn't be like that:
- Men.shoes is better than menshoes.com, look.sexy is better than looksexy.com, taxi.london is better than londontaxi.com

@Bono, there's a lot of nuances. Answering "which name to choose" without knowing details makes no sense.
All I can say, If you plan to go big - brandable domain name is always better than anything keyword-based.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
BS.

look.sexy is brandable, looksexy.com is not. First is 1 milli brand, second is for cheesy blog or "lose weight fast/tan quick/etc" crap.
.shoes is already indicating that the website is shoe-related, google counts that, and taxi.london will be higher ranked than londontaxi.com due to geo-location.

Last edited:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
BS.

look.sexy is brandable, looksexy.com is not. First is 1 milli brand, second is for cheesy blog or "lose weight fast/tan quick/etc" crap.
.shoes is already indicating that the website is shoe-related, google counts that, and taxi.london will be higher ranked than londontaxi.com due to geo-location.
You have no F*cking idea what you're talking about.

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
BS.

Any proof to back that up?

Guess not, because it's BS. There is no major website in the world using those domains. Why? Because they suck, are shady as F*ck and people don't remember them.

Let's have a look at the top 50 sites in various categories:

Global:
http://www.similarweb.com/global
Shopping:
http://www.similarweb.com/category/shopping
Book retailers:
http://www.similarweb.com/category/books_and_literature/book_retailers

Not a single website that's not using a .com or a country specific domain.

Neither can the value of a brand be judged by the domain, or else we wouldn't see ABSOLUTELY NOTHING upon entering look.sexy.

Also, I've yet to see one of those domains outrank a .com/ccTLD in a competitive space.

So, why do those domains exist?

To make the registrars more money, apart from that, they are absolutely useless.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
,org usually is considered to be a non-profit(it isn't, but is the general public perception), when people are unsure, they type in brand name .com, work on your brand name, not a generic term.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
BS.

You have no F*cking idea what you're talking about.

+1. Sounds like you didn't get the memo? Everyone with a keyboard is an expert.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Any proof to back that up?

Guess not, because it's BS. There is no major website in the world using those domains. Why? Because they suck, are shady as F*ck and people don't remember them.

Let's have a look at the top 50 sites in various categories:

Global:
http://www.similarweb.com/global
Shopping:
http://www.similarweb.com/category/shopping
Book retailers:
http://www.similarweb.com/category/books_and_literature/book_retailers

Not a single website that's not using a .com or a country specific domain.

Neither can the value of a brand be judged by the domain, or else we wouldn't see ABSOLUTELY NOTHING upon entering look.sexy.

Also, I've yet to see one of those domains outrank a .com/ccTLD in a competitive space.

So, why do those domains exist?

To make the registrars more money, apart from that, they are absolutely useless.
I own a lot of short (not random crap) and branded .com domains, I prefer them more than almost any new .whatever extension, but it's not always better to go for .com.
It is also not a rocket science to understand, that .com is going into decline, and there is no turning back. It's an obsolete approach, things need to evolve, and they will. No matter if you like it or not.

Fist, new domain extensions are few years old. Do you know how hard ".com kings" were trying to make people think that .com will be the king forever? That was easy with .net and other extensions, since they didn't have any real purpose. Now things changed, no matter which foot they started with, right or wrong.
Yes, most of new extensions suck, because their purpose is close to non-existent, but does it apply to every domain extension? No.
Google already counts extensions like .london - it doesn't mean, that your website is by-default will be ranked higher, but if two similar websites will be searched for in London, with same SEO and value, .london domain will be ranked higher already, because it's naturally in .london zone.
Guess yourself what will happen in next years, or should I help?
taxi.london not just looks better and shorter than londontaxi.com, but with further optimization of search engines, apps, worldwide-web in general, it is the future, because it's better, more comfortable, and optimized. Can't run from that.

"I don't see any websites with .whatever extension!"
Which is temporary.

Fat-a$$-50-year-old dudes hold .com domains for 20 years, and don't let real businesses get them (because the price tag is 100k+). They also invest millions into this sphere, which is nothing more than a bubble. Apple can optimize their keyboard to match the location, and .com will be easily replaced with .ie when you're in Ireland, .ru when you're in Russia, and etc. This, alone, will tell that "it's over". And they will.
All the new and young enterpreneurs understand that world was evolving too slow during the past 20 years, because "some people" were ripping their asses off to keep their positions, no matter how hard they beat the common sense.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
It is also not a rocket science to understand, that .com is going into decline, and there is no turning back. It's an obsolete approach, things need to evolve, and they will. No matter if you like it or not.
Because all of the big brands of the world will either suddenly go out of business or decide not use the .com domains they have had for 20 years.

Fat-a$$-50-year-old dudes hold .com domains for 20 years, and don't let real businesses get them (because the price tag is 100k+).
I am not fat assed, have not invested millions and any real business can buy my domains if they want to pay for the real estate. Don't come in here and spew about successful business models you certainly have no knowledge about.

The extension will have nothing to do with what domain Google brings up, they look at and continue to look at your contact info, zip code, phone number area codes and such for local type search. The OP seems to have a non-location centric business and RIGHT NOW, not some distant future you think you see, .com is a better choice.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I bought a .media domain. Try saying www.<insert anything here>.media in a podcast. We screwed it up almost every time, because it's not natural now. Not to me, and not to anyone listening. Nobody knew even what the hell we were trying to say.

I can't even remember the domain.

It's .com or nothing.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If you're looking to run a serious business with a brand don't bother with an org, get the com.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

This thread could have ended with this post.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
The OP seems to have a non-location centric business and RIGHT NOW, not some distant future you think you see, .com is a better choice.
Even right now look.sexy is much better than looksexy.com, just by pronouncing "Look dot sexy" vs "Look sexy dot com" it's clear. It's just much more brandable and it has another psychological impact.

What I'm trying to tell is that there is always nuances. We don't know his business. It's like all this hype about colours and guessing on their impact, while it's always contextual and complex. Sometimes a longer domain name with .com worth it, sometimes shorter one with .net is better. And our "stick with .com" or any other advice is useless, as long as we just guess.

Because all of the big brands of the world will either suddenly go out of business or decide not use the .com domains they have had for 20 years.
Because new brands enter the game. And yes, many big brands get out of business, going from multi-million to not-so-multi-million.
I am not fat assed, have not invested millions and any real business can buy my domains if they want to pay for the real estate. Don't come in here and spew about successful business models you certainly have no knowledge about.
Sometimes it costs too much, majority of domains has never been used, they just gather dust.
The extension will have nothing to do with what domain Google brings up, they look at and continue to look at your contact info, zip code, phone number area codes and such for local type search.
It already has something to do with google ranking.
"they look at at your contact info, zip code, phone number area codes, etc" - yes, and I didn't contradict that.

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado
It's just an example. I'm not gonna post the real name of my company here.

Why not? You'd be surprised at the response....most likely we'll all try to help you find something that works.

Joseph Wilson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jun 13, 2015
Don't stress out about it. Just pick something and start building your site. Many huge companies have domains that are completely unrelated to their domain names. Google, Yahoo, Amazon, Zappos etc... Just pick something and get on with it.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I find that .co is becoming acceptable, yes .com is still better but not always available which is the point of this thread. You could start with the .co and get the .com once your concept is proven.

On another note what is .io meant to be? I see that a bit too, but I have never ever seen .shoes .guru .taxi etc being used. Ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
I find that .co is becoming acceptable, yes .com is still better but not always available which is the point of this thread. You could start with the .co and get the .com once your concept is proven.

On another note what is .io meant to be? I see that a bit too, but I have never ever seen .shoes .guru .taxi etc being used. Ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.io stands for input/output. You'll see a lot of startup tech companies using it, just something that has caught on and a lot of people of agreed on.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.