The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

1 Easy Trick to Extend Your Life by 6 Years, GUARANTEED.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
“I need my 8 hours”

You sleep 8 hours a night? Try 6.
Why?

Well, lets assume you live to be 95 years old. From age 20 to 95 sleeping 6 hours instead of 8 saves you... 55,000 hours, 2291 days or 6.27 years. Quite incredible really.

Im sure there has been many who would have given billions for another 6 years of life.

Granted, this won’t apply to everyone as I’m sure some already function on trace amounts of sleep. Nevertheless thought it could be an eye opener for some.

You were told you need 8 hours to function correctly? BS. If you believe in such a thing then it inevitably becomes truth.

Additionally, for those interested, here is a nice graphic with some influential people and their sleeping patterns: https://assets.entrepreneur.com/static/1424807364-sleep-info.jpg

1424807364-sleep-info.jpg

Never stop experimenting, challenge everything.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
+1.

People find it very hard to experiment these days. The default behavior is to have someone else give you an answer on a plate.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Also, you could tell people you are eight years older than you are. Then bam, you'll extend your life by eight years. Reality is perception.

No, but seriously, yes. 8 hours is far too much. I have found my sweet spot at 6, although I would gladly go down to five.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I like the headline (damn I like the headline) and I like the idea. I also believe everyone should be experimenting with different areas of their life (controlling one variable at a time!) in order to improve things. However, some things must be noted...

1) That's not guaranteed. 95 years is multiple standard deviations above normal. None of us EXPECT to live to 95, and to be honest, I don't think I'd want to.

2) Shortening the hours you sleep is nowhere near as important as improving the quality of your sleep. However it must be noted that, if done correctly, the result is likely to be a total in-bed time of around 6-6.5 hours, which fits perfectly with what you suggest.

3) If you can't do everything you need to be doing on 8 hours of sleep, you have issues unrelated to sleeping. Improve time management first.

4) This tip does not apply to those actively trying to lose or gain weight, as those extra 2 hours will (citation needed) help you achieve these goals faster. This also does not apply to performance athletes (competitive or not).

So, decent post, but as you said yourself:

Never stop experimenting, challenge everything.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
You were told you need 8 hours to function correctly? BS. If you believe in such a thing then it inevitably becomes truth.
Do you have a source to back up that claim? And not an infograph that has their sources as other .com websites.

I've had to work on 4 or less hours of sleep for consecutive days a few times, and it's not fun. Granted we weren't sitting at a desk or anything, we were physically active for 20 hours minus 30 minutes for 3 chows and 15 for evening and morning hygiene. Being fueled by caffeine and nicotine gets old after a while.

Last edited:

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia
Hmm, so, I'd have to sleep another 1 to 2 hours a night to get up to 6 hours... Problem is, my body just doesn't want to sleet that much. I think sleep is overrated!

Cheers,
O-2

Griff

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
354%
Feb 23, 2015
Chicago
Looks like somebody's been studying up on their copywriting!

When I saw that headline I just COULDN'T RESIST finding out what the trick was. Pretty amazing if you think about it. THIS is the reason why I'm learning copywriting. In the right hands, it's a powerful tool.

K.Y.

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 4, 2013
I like the headline (damn I like the headline) and I like the idea. I also believe everyone should be experimenting with different areas of their life (controlling one variable at a time!) in order to improve things. However, some things must be noted...

1) That's not guaranteed. 95 years is multiple standard deviations above normal. None of us EXPECT to live to 95, and to be honest, I don't think I'd want to.

2) Shortening the hours you sleep is nowhere near as important as improving the quality of your sleep. However it must be noted that, if done correctly, the result is likely to be a total in-bed time of around 6-6.5 hours, which fits perfectly with what you suggest.

3) If you can't do everything you need to be doing on 8 hours of sleep, you have issues unrelated to sleeping. Improve time management first.

4) This tip does not apply to those actively trying to lose or gain weight, as those extra 2 hours will (citation needed) help you achieve these goals faster. This also does not apply to performance athletes (competitive or not).

So, decent post, but as you said yourself:

care to share your best finds to getting better quality of sleep?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
care to share your best finds to getting better quality of sleep?

This is what has been working for me. Meditating before bed, not drinking any caffeine after breakfast, moderate exercise and ending working at least 2 hours before bed.

That's just what has allowed me to get around 6.5 hours of honest-to-god quality sleep over the last few weeks. The time change really messed me up, I'm still adjusting.

If you feel like you might have sleep issues (sleep apnea, anxiety before bed, etc.) see a doctor and don't take the advice of strangers on the Internet.

brewster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 25, 2014
Austin, TX
Some other neat tricks that have helped me get better quality sleep:
  • Have your last meal of the day several hours before you go to sleep because the body uses a lot of energy to break the food down
  • Blackout your room
  • Try not to look at any screens an hour before sleep

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali

Personally I would like to live as long as possible (you only have one shot to change the world, why wouldn’t you?). The number here is largely irrelevant it was just an example. Living to 80, you still add 5 years.

I’m 20 now and in 75 years I fully expect there to be unimaginable developments in healthcare etc (thus making 95 very reasonable). Technology is compounding development in all sectors.

I agree, the reduction of sleep was assuming you have quality down already.

It’s not that you can’t get things done in your 16 awake hours, its just that why wouldn’t you want 18 awake hours with limited/if any downside?

I agree - It depends, all this totally depends on what you are striving for in life.

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
I think we can expect to be living to 120
It's just getting easier and easier to live long. I talked to my uncle about this, and his sons. All of which are Doctors. And they have studied this a bit. But IDK that's just a prediction. Might be totally wrong and maybe we still stay around the 75 mark.

But I love sleeping 8 hours. I used to do 6 hours a night but I just find that I have more enthusiastic energy if I sleep for 8. But it all depends on what you can handle mentally really.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
None of us EXPECT to live to 95, and to be honest, I don't think I'd want to.

My granny is 99 years old, and she will be 100 years old this May. I have been thinking about her a lot lately. Hoping and wondering if I will have the same fortune to live this long. I totally want to live that long. To me, it means I will still have 70 years of life left to live!!!! That excites me so much! Thinking of all I can see and do in the next 30 years of my life too!

I see people in the gym who are in their 70s. They look like they are in their 40s. They look so happy, spunky, and full of life. Still dating, still having sex, still keeping up with hair/ makeup/ clothes, etc. I want to be like those people when I grow up!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
1) Great copywriting.
2) Interesting take and generally I agree with it although I'm not sure if sleep deprivation might take some years off. I'd bet the "net effect" is a positive.
3) IMO, the sleep habits of the famous is irrelevant. (Those who attended the FL Summit will know why I feel that way, ha)

chrischapman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 3, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Interesting tip hahaha. I think this is a pretty cool way to extend your life. AT LEAST it is worth investigating which sleep cycle works well for you. It's a bit silly to totally disregard the idea of less sleep totally.

But, if you want to have more time to do more productive things, I think improving your existing waking hours would be a good start. If you aren't already utilizing existing time, I see no reason why using 'tired time' would be more productive.

make existing waking hours better, if you are maxing out those, then get some more waking hours and live an extra 6 years :)

K.Y.

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 4, 2013
1) Great copywriting.
2) Interesting take and generally I agree with it although I'm not sure if sleep deprivation might take some years off. I'd bet the "net effect" is a positive.
3) IMO, the sleep habits of the famous is irrelevant. (Those who attended the FL Summit will know why I feel that way, ha)
I've been pooping at 3pm on the dot everyday just like Warren Buffett. My net worth has almost doubled because of it.

William

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Feb 15, 2012
Sometimes I get around 8 hours. Sometimes I get around 6 or 6 1/2.

I find that when I plan the next day and work toward my purpose that day, I get up earlier the day after.

Also, I think it is how you perceive sleeping.

I used to feel: I need my sleep.
Now, I feel: I need to reach my goals.

So, before I go to sleep, I read my goals, visualize them. I plant that seed in my head.

However, this only works for me when I DO what I need to do that day.

For example: If I have a goal of:

"Travel and explore as I please"

That day I need to work on my system of freedom as much as possible to allow me to reach my goal(s).
As much significant steps as possible that day.

Ultimately, I AM validating/strengthening my goal that I'm saying/visualizing at night/morning by DOING.

The key however is to make the doing part a habit.
Getting into the habit of next move. next move. next move.
Maybe creating a system for a specific type of habit: Read 20 pages a day on marketing after breakfast.
But generally getting into the conditioning of moving.

I create that environment of motivation by FOCUSING on my goals. I put effort and focus toward them.
Say them. Visualize them. Most importantly. DO THEM.
When I do them, I do not make them mountains. I break them down into there smallest part and keep moving to the next.
Then, is when I get up at an "ideal" time.

Basically, what I am trying to say is:

Less doing/Less focus = More unneeded sleep.

This works for me and when I do this, I rarely get more than 7 hours of sleep.

Charmander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 20, 2015
Slovakia
I would like to see the people who try to follow this "procedure"...
This is insane.
Your body has been evolving for years, and the inumerable number of your ancestors, slept about 12 hours a day.
They went to bed when the sun set down, and woke up when it rose.

More imporantly, sleeping is essential to good health.
Even helps you loose weight, big time.

Not going to even bother provide/search for the facts, since they won´t "persuade" those that believe otherwise, as it is probably "rooted" in them allready
(or rather had been brainwashed by the first post) - no offence

Oh and by the way: Tesla was pretty much broke...(that is - he died broke alone in a New York apartement)

You sleep 8 hours a night? Try 6.

Try 10.

And for the others : Do not necessairly assume that all natural human behaviour is wrong, because you base your judgement on all the "chatter"(consumerism is wrong, etc...) that everyone takes as true(which they are are),but when they apply to human body, they are right 99% of the time.(natural impulses - EVEN for wealth generation)

Not to mention, that you are able to achieve ceratin aspects of your brain (creative imagination, etc.. - as described in think and grow rich),
much more easily, when your brain is relaxed.

However, (important point) : The key is not to get OVER RELAXED (AS ARE MOST PEOPLE)

Last edited by a moderator:

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Each individual to their own in my opinion. Its more about planning your day than sleeping set hours. If you felt tired , exhausted then your not going to be much use plus I dare say that it would take a while for your body to adapt to 2 hours less sleep per night.

Jot down what you have to do in the day and if its too much dont plan on having a lazy Sunday and maybe skim your sleep that week simply dont start following a crazy sleeping pattern because Da Vinci did.

What I find even more funny is what did Da Vinci do for an alarm clock to be exact on his times?
And also I would rather sleep 8 hours than look like Donald Trump any day. Great business man but the older hes getting hes resembling a overgrown oompaloompa.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
I would like to see the people who try to follow this "procedure"...
This is insane.
Your body has been evolving for years, and the inumerable number of your ancestors, slept about 12 hours a day.
They went to bed when the sun set down, and woke up when it rose.

More imporantly, sleeping is essential to good health.
Even helps you loose weight, big time.

Not going to even bother provide/search for the facts, since they won´t "persuade" those that believe otherwise, as it is probably "rooted" in them allready
(or rather had been brainwashed by the first post) - no offence

Oh and by the way: Tesla was pretty much broke...(that is - he died broke alone in a New York apartement)

Try 10.

And for the others : Do not necessairly assume that all natural human behaviour is wrong, because you base your judgement on all the "chatter"(consumerism is wrong, etc...) that everyone takes as true(which they are are),but when they apply to human body, they are right 99% of the time.(natural impulses - EVEN for wealth generation)

Not to mention, that you are able to achieve ceratin aspects of your brain (creative imagination, etc.. - as described in think and grow rich),
much more easily, when your brain is relaxed.

However, (important point) : The key is not to get OVER RELAXED (AS ARE MOST PEOPLE)

Insane?! Why so black and white? I am not saying "I now forbid you to sleep any longer than 6 hours. OBEY!" It is merely a suggestion that could possibly enhance ones life.

I completely disagree with your point about natural human behaviour. Humans as a race are currently suffering evolutionary mismatch. You battle this every day even if you dont know it.

For example, the obesity epidemic. Thousands of years ago, you would find sugar (honey) every few months. We are programmed to over indulge in such a substance as a survival mechanism. It served us well then? but now... well you see what is happening.

A further example, FEAR. We fear failing, you know why? because it used to mean death. We fear not being approved my our peers. Thousands of year ago you didn't have another 7 billion people to turn to.

Have you tried experimenting with your sleep? All good essentially comes from peeling away from the norm. Some will pay off, others wont. But the very nature of trying new things is what keeps our race growing, don't neglect it.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
Just saw this pic on my FB timeline...This is what being 80 years old looks like and can look like these days.

I am more than HALF of her age and her body looks better than mine. *hangs head*.

There are more and more people who are in their 70s and 80s that look just like her.

Attachments

• IMG_0833.JPG
    IMG_0833.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 43

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Each individual to their own
This.

5 hours/night for me.
If I sleep for 6-8, I'm groggy and don't want to wake up.
If I sleep for 1-4, I'm cranky.
If I sleep for 5 hours (6am-11am, typically) I practically jump out of bed, ready to enthusiastically start the day.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
I sleep and wake up when I want to with no alarm clock and nothing waking me up, I find that I naturally sleep around roughly 8 hours. If I sleep 6 hours I won't be functioning as fully as I could have with 2 extra hours of sleep and incase I even live to be 95 which is unlikely because of how unpredictable life is I'd rather enjoy my sleep rather than wake up and go through my entire life a little more tired than I should be, it's unlikely I'll be as productive then which defeats the entire purpose of me waking up early in the first place.

Sowexly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Nov 7, 2013
I love the idea of not sleeping many hours I think it's "unproductive" but point being if you strive to achieve great health and you enjoy rigorous exercise sleep is advocated by everyone who has these things. I've done less sleep and felt fine and I know that more sleep is not always better but I've never found good source material for any sleep study so I'll take my advice from the people I see everyday based on their physical/mental condition (ie family is likely to have the same biochemistry).

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Not really getting into because people will do what they want either way, but I completely believe that sleeping six hours for any extended period of time is unhealthy. I think nearly every person on Earth would be better off sleeping 10 hours per day.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.