The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Misleading book title and cover?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
G

GuestUser113

Do you know how to use the internet? So far, what you have displayed on this forum, probably not.

http://boldanddetermined.com/2014/03/31/top-10-challenges-youll-face-new-entrepreneur/

#1 Picking the RIGHT business
Remember one very important thing, your customers aren’t buying a product, they are buying you.

and

#9 Dealing with competition
John D. Rockefeller famously said “Competition is a sin” and I’d have to agree. Why bother competing you can be an innovator and start something new.

3 years ago there was nothing like Bold and Determined and that’s still true today. Even though I have dozens of copycats (maybe hundreds) nobody can compare.

badcopycats.jpg

Hundreds of heavy metal bands have copied Metallica’s unique style and none of the copycats have had the same success as Metallica.

Copying is the path to mediocrity. Pioneering is the path to success.

Ask yourself “what is missing from the market?“. Answer that question and you’re in business as an industry leader.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Geeko

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 19, 2014
Yeah, it's free. It's advice that will get you no where, most of it is written by freelancers who know seo and have no clue about bodybuilding.

Thanks ;)
I'm getting a new one made though.

To all those mumbling about me not being an expert, keep eating your burgers and french fries, and gag on your diet pills ;)

I am qualified to personal train and am a gym go-er of 6ish years (no really important), alot of my training has been under some of the top strength and conditioning in Canada. Alot of the stuff i can find online is very similar to what ive been taught. Im questioning if you know what bodybuilding is.. you are talking about how many chin ups and dips you can do. Those are strength related not bodybuilding. Spartans/gladiator look NOTHING like modern day bodybuilders.

Way to go, you insulted the people who are trying to give you advice and guidance.

Gymjunkie, post a pic of your body.

Why would he post a picture of his body? Just because he doesnt believe in writing a book about something youre not an expert in, doenst mean he is an expert. If i go to a restaurant and order tomato soup and say "this tastes like satans balls", that does not mean i can make a better one....

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Rando idea I had for you:

What about a series of books based off pop culture:
  • Fight club body
  • Captain America Body Guide
  • Hulk
  • Hercules body
  • etc
Random marketing idea (for fun). Short blog posts on how to get bodies like celebrities that don't have nice bodies:
  • How to get cut like Andy Warhol - Cocaine, bread and narcissism

G

GuestUser116

Look, read the title of this thread. I wanted to know if the cover and title of an eBook play a major roll in sales. Not if you think I'm qualified to write such an eBook. I appreciate the feedback/suggestions on the title and cover from the few.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I wanted to know if the cover and title of an eBook play a major roll in sales.

Hmmm... does food play a major role in six-pack abs? Or would the Mickey-Dees bacon-double cheeseburger diet work? You wanted to know if those were misleading and we're saying YOU are being misleading, at least until you can be a product of your product. If you want to ignore that, fine. Yes, you're cover and title needs work especially since you mentioned you aren't filling a need.

Last edited:

Deon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
Hmmm... does food play a major role in six-pack abs? Or would the Mickey-Dees bacon-double cheeseburger diet work? You wanted to know if those were misleading and we're saying YOU are being misleading, at least until you can be a product of your product. If you want to ignore that, fine. Yes, you're cover and title needs work especially since you mentioned you aren't filling a need.

Actually, McDonald's can work too haha (3rd video specially is boss and funny as F)

OtKOWkpN.jpeg

My favorite guys on YouTube! :rockon:

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 1, 2014
NY
I have a small local gym and recently opened a sit to try and get people more interested in getting healthier and more ripped using certain bodybuilding supplements, testosterone boosters and weight loss pills..

Im really not sure if this is the right place to post this but I just wanted to let you guys know of my online success and to see if there is anyhting you suggest I can add to my site/online portfolio to increase revenue.

Kevin

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I have to laugh M.J. I took three years to write this novel for the same reason to walk the walk. Think you stated you'd bet on the 51 novels versus the one Babe Ruth. Sometimes I get a kick out of you. For book covers I know what you mean! I have tons of writing and trying to figure out how to create nice covers for many poetry books without looking cheap and copy infringement. Even take pictures, but hmm...the cover is everything.

This graphic designer I'm talking too was saying the same thing, look at other covers, and for some reason he says one image that represents the material inside.

Personally for me I wouldn't buy a book with a gladiator, or a man fighting a lion, or anything else. lol What is realistic to me is like a man that's been through military training, not all buffed up perse. There's enough muscle ego blow up muscle covers.

Just my opinion, but realistic to me is like an average guy that works out like canoeing, cross-training, kick boxing, karate, the guy that works out at the gym every week, but doesn't look like he's on steroids and has a big ego. A man that doesn't look like he's Hercules and fighting God's. The average man buying your book probably has a fat belly from being a couch potato, smoking cigs, drinking beer, and works all day. Sure I've hung out in the Gym and watched men lifting and doing all the different machines. I don't have any idea about all that, but I can tell you most of them in my area were coast guard boys mixed with average Joe's that read all the magazine's get a big ego, and think they're hot with their steroid look. lol It kind of gross's me out.

Well everyone likes something different. Just what is your message? What does the man look like after your advice? What does it do for his body? What do the women think or say? Is it healthy and natural or unatural? What is it you want the man to achieve? How does it benefit him psychologically, emotionally, physically? Is it for fat boys, military boys, ego steroid boys, lazy boys, sport's boys, executive boys, European boys, American boys, Canadian boys? There are all kinds of boys out there. Rich boys, poor boys, boys that have no confidence or self-esteem. Old boys, even see them in the gym, and preachers too.

Ha Ha, this is just a joke, but I wonder if there is a spiritual or christian niche for training and bodybuilding. If there isn't well guess that would be less of competition. More of a comedy perspective. Guess I thought about that, because I remember listening to a preacher gossiping about other churches in the area and the guy I was working for was laughing while he was working out and we listened while they were working out spreading the gossip of good news. lol

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
There is a spritual christian niche for training bodybuilding.

OP hadnt looked at your pics, but, from what you said about pull ups and dips it sounds to me you should go cross training route.

Forget the cover and name of book. Call it something else, though, I dont know what topics you cover. Have you read dinosaur training? How is your book different with unorthodox routines then that book? TBH, I think just about every angle has been covered in fitness, unless you have invented unheard of routines and if that is the case then you should have invented names for those routines.

BTW, you can do 30+ pull ups in a row and 45 dips in a row you mean? If so, run to youtube now and say, "hey guys watch me do 30+ pullups and 45+ dips". Then stick a water mark on your video of your sales page link and ask people to buy it.

P.S. Be sure to send me link of video because if you can do that many pullups and dips in one set I want to see.

Last edited:
G

GuestUser116

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Its hard to break the news, but I don't think you can get away with marketting your book the way you are thinking.
I think it is better to go for the truth, and see what you can get rather than pretend you are something you are not and expect to not get crushed.

I'd take a "from skinny to on track" kind of approach and aim my book at the audience I do have authority over. You can sell hope, but for that you need authenticity, and a good story.

I'd aim it to be cheaper, quicker to read, more fun, full of analogies and stories or interview from bigger guys and tailor it to the audience I think I can capture.

Lets say I have to write a book that goes right next to MJ's on the shelf.
I know I can't superceed anyone's genuine authority so I can't plaster "super fast fastlane" all over that book, because I believe I'm faster or some such bs.

No, it would be better to market it as a more niche product by looking for a group of people not currently being served that I can help.

I had to deal with issues stemming from a professional background sports, therefor
"An introduction to business for the ex sports star" or something is something I could write due to my experience, it would serve a niche and intruige other readers, and it wouldn't rip off mjs book.

Similarly "from geeky to bigger than joe - using comic book hero training regimes to best your arch nemisis" is a decent idea, but you have to be what you are and make it the best in that niche.
Make it a fun poke at how you aren't the biggest but you are bigger than the next guy and just like the quote "I can't out run a bear but I can out run you" you can make it work.

Point being, you can't escape the need for being the best, you can only target a more realistic niche where you can accomplish actually being the best at it in an authentic way.

You are trying to scare tactic guys into giving you nice feedback, but you really need a different idea that actually will work or you will just be chalking this book up to writing practice.

Last edited:
G

GuestUser116

I'm writing a new book called "From 0 to 30 Pull ups" I'll have video proof of me doing near 30 pull ups.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I used to do one handed pull ups like 6 each side when boxing, to do it I recommend putting a bar in your kitchen doorway.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.