The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Misleading book title and cover?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Those are some great covers. However that doesn't mean YOU will get a great cover. I once hired a design firm who had an awesome portfolio. As for my book cover that they produced? It sucked. After weeks of going back and forth, I fired them. Now I see that same company giving seminars on book covers. Again, their portfolio is great -- what they produced for me sucked a$$.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
You're in great shape. I wouldn't call it "gladiator shape" but are are very fit.

Nonetheless, if you want to be taken seriously you have to get your book cover in shape.

Look at the category at Amazon and model what works.

For example, this structure is very common.

510hvFaaDjL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Your covers look like a fiction novel ready to play out in ancient Rome.

He's targeting different group of people...teens and <25 olds probably and that cover might work for them perfectly. It needs to be tested.

It's easy to make the cover like you suggest and you don't need any balls to use it. It's safe, standard option.. Who knows bold approach might work best. This is the case where people are talking out of their butts. No one knows what works until it's tested. And sometimes bold approach works for no reason by breaking all the rules.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
That guy on Fiverr has 80+ orders in his queue. Safe to say you will not be given a lot of attention.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
That guy on Fiverr has 80+ orders in his queue. Safe to say you will not be given a lot of attention

Looks to me the guy relies off upsells and aims to get 100 dollars out of you. (which is fine)
So I imagine if you don't buy the extras he'll not be very enthused.

To sell a book needs more than a good title
Needs a good concept (and be well organised)
Be clear to follow
Have no signs of "newbiness" or ego-jabber-wocky in it
Be set up for consumption
And have standout content that rewards the buy (either by how well you express the points, or what points you expess that are ahead of the curve)

Focusing on the cover is a redherring

If the book justifies a good cover you'll be able to afford one.

Last edited:

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
I disagree with anyone telling this guy he has to be an expert body builder... People fake being an expert all the time and get rich off it.

It's just as easy to present yourself as one

also your book covers do look shitty though and I wouldn't buy it

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I disagree with anyone telling this guy he has to be an expert body builder... People fake being an expert all the time and get rich off it.

Integrity matters. Your post was ridiculous, and nothing advocated by this forum. You're 330 posts into this forum, and the best advice you have for this thread is people should fake credentials? The Millionaire Fastlane (forum and book) doesn't exist for this type of bullshit. Your advice is terrible.

(note this post is NOT a reflection on the OP)

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Integrity matters. Your post was ridiculous, and nothing advocated by this forum. You're 330 posts into this forum, and the best advice you have for this thread is people should fake credentials? The Millionaire Fastlane (forum and book) doesn't exist for this type of bullshit. Your advice is terrible.

(note this post is NOT a reflection on the OP)

Holy crap I'm 330 posts in! I rarely post... That's crazy!!

I'm not suggesting fake it but, if he thinks he has enough knowledge to share (which he does) then he should try.

I was just trying to help him through some unnecessary layers of negativity. I think it's awesome MJ the king of books(&biz) is giving him advice.

I just don't condone shutting people down for irrelevant reasons (like some of these other posters saying hes not experienced enough to write on this topic) .... How many writers do we have on here writing about something they have no clue about? But for some reason were tearing down this guy.

If fake experts can do it, this guy who is clearly into body building has a chance.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

I'm not suggesting fake it but, if he thinks he has enough knowledge to share (which he does) then he should try.

Your second pass makes much more sense. Thanks...

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

I was just trying to help him through some unnecessary layers of negativity. I think it's awesome MJ the king of books(&biz) is giving him advice.

I just don't condone shutting people down for irrelevant reasons (like some of these other posts saying hes not experienced enough to write on this topic) .... How many writers do we have on here writing about something they have no clue about? But for some reason were tearing down this guy.

If fake experts can do it, this guy who is clearly into body building has a chance.

This is the exact kind of crap we want to eliminate from this forum. Just because others have done this and have gotten rich from it doesn't mean anyone else should. Yes, lot's of wealth to be had out there in this world if you are willing to operate WITHOUT integrity and ethics. A whole lot more wealth is up for grabs when you build a business the right and ethical way.

Last edited:

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
That snippet was meant to be used as a comparison....

if fake experts can do it then this guy who clearly is into this topic and wants to write about it can do it. He shouldn't be given shit for that.

.... Anyway... Work to do... Trying to get to that fastlane myself.... Pretty stoked about the 330+ posts! Thanks for telling me... I feel somewhat part of this community now ha !

William

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Feb 15, 2012
I'm not suggestion fake but, if he thinks he has enough knowledge to share (which he does) then he should try.

Would you follow someone who had no integrity? Would you be comfortable following their advice?

When it comes to entrepreneurship, would you rather follow MJ or some guy with degrees, titles, little business experience?

I was just trying to help him through some unnecessary layers of negativity.

I don't think people telling him to Be what he is teaching is negative. It is realistic and ultimately something that will help him. Therefore, it is positive.

Juhill

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Nov 22, 2011
Bozeman, MT
I believe @codo3500 is trying to steer you in the right direction. Video is way better for this market and you can test it on Youtube. My suggestion is to create a great video and include some of what they will learn using your system. If you get a fair amount of views it means that people are searching for this type of body transformation program. Once you see people are in you can steer them to the paid content. It is also better to have video where you can show proper form so people don't get hurt. I imagine to get anywhere near a Spartan physique you will need to incorporate power lifting exercises such as squats and deadlifts which can lead to serious injury if you do not have proper form.

Most of the best fitness advice out there is free. Think about what your added value is and maximize it at every step.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009

I just don't condone shutting people down for irrelevant reasons (like some of these other posters saying hes not experienced enough to write on this topic) .... How many writers do we have on here writing about something they have no clue about? But for some reason were tearing down this guy.

Would you even listen to him yourself if you had to? I doubt it. He's trying, feedback says it's a bit early. I guarantee you the flack he could get in bodybuilding forums will be so bad and so harsh that it's crazy. I know few guys who are pro's in the industry, both are way more impressive in body and in experience.

Maybe you don't go to the gym yourself and that keeps you from judging it right too.

No one says don't keep trying, but it's way better for him to bulk up a bit more, go out and get training to become certified (short courses available) and be much more ready than he is now. Anecdotal advice from the gym guy can cause more damage then help. It's a thin line and not a joke.

G

GuestUser116

Most of the best fitness advice out there is free.
Yeah, it's free. It's advice that will get you no where, most of it is written by freelancers who know seo and have no clue about bodybuilding.

also your book covers do look shitty
Thanks ;)
I'm getting a new one made though.

To all those mumbling about me not being an expert, keep eating your burgers and french fries, and gag on your diet pills ;)

G

GuestUser116

it's way better for him to bulk up a bit more
Why would I bulk up? I'm not doing the typical bulk and cut bs. I'm training like a Gladiator, I can do 30+ pull ups, 45+ dips. Most of those "bulked up" bodybuilders aka fat asses can barely reach 10 pull ups.

Juhill

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Nov 22, 2011
Bozeman, MT
The eBook is about bodybuilding. Will the misleading title and cover prevent success in sales?
What is the best way to market the eBook? What platform does it need to be in?

@Glacier My opinion is you need to have some client sample photos to market this and then maybe pick an amazing transformation example and use that as the cover. It gives the person looking at it a real example of what can be achieved. I think people would want to see an actual human so that they can picture themselves looking like that. Check out sites like Leangains.com and Rippedbody.jp.

LIkeafox

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 3, 2014
New York
What's going to make your product different than all the other 'warrior' workout books and programs that are out there? Why would I pick your book instead of the trainer who got the actors in shape for 300? Or some ex-Navy Seal, or a big name MMA trainer? Or cross-fit?

G

GuestUser116

What's going to make your product different than all the other 'warrior' workout books and programs that are out there? Why would I pick your book instead of the trainer who got the actors in shape for 300? Or some ex-Navy Seal, or a big name MMA trainer? Or cross-fit?
It's different because it has unorthodox training techniques. Why would you pick my book instead of the trainer who got the actors in shape for 300? Because you'll save a grand load of $$$. Not to mention actors use steroids.

LIkeafox

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 3, 2014
New York
Then that's what you need to be pushing, that this book has training techniques that none of those other books or programs have. Figure out a way to get that message across on the cover and in everything you say or do about the book.

G

GuestUser116

I will publish it on amazon, anything I need to know about publishing on amazon?

LIkeafox

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 3, 2014
New York
Publishing it is easy, you just have to have your text formatted correctly and you upload it and viola you have an ebook available for anyone in the world to buy.

Marketing the book is the tough part.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
if fake experts can do it then this guy who clearly is into this topic and wants to write about it can do it. He shouldn't be given shit for that.

Yes he should.

Money does not justify the means. And sadly, some folks around here believe it does. And that's fine if you think that way. You just aren't going to promote it here. If you want to sell advice on being a bodybuilder, I'm hoping you have the body of one. If you want to sell advice on getting rich, or retiring early, I certainly hope you're retired or rich in some fashion. I've wanted to write TMF for years but couldn't simply because I had to wait until I could truly be an example of the product. One who teaches about the "promised land" should already be there, or have been there.

As for the OP, I admire him for doing something. For trying. For putting something out there. I give him kudos and heck, he's in good shape (although I'd say I'm closer to "bodybuilding" shape than he is and I got 30 years on him.)

I'm just not a fan of in-congruence when it comes to standing behind something.

Here is the author VICTOR PRIDE of "Body of a Spartan"

Notice: He HAS the body of a Spartan.

hardbackcoverstanding-2-224x3001.png

victorstatue.jpg

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Gymjunkie, post a pic of your body.
Way to deflect the truth.

This is from a while ago from my workout journal, before I realized it was stupid to take pictures everyday. And from a photo shop before my arm was finished.

I'm no where near where I should be to be able to start an eBook about fitness.

And by the way before Insanity and doing Victor Pride's routine from his book I was 225. Now I'm 165 @ 9% BF and getting better everyday.

I have no idea who you are marketing to, but without success pictures that rock, good luck. I bought Body Of A Spartan because of Victor, not necessarily the content, as good as it is.

Attachments

• 1947978_298758620277670_374374676_n.jpg
    1947978_298758620277670_374374676_n.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 601277_170821039738096_1112961801_n.jpg
    601277_170821039738096_1112961801_n.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Why would I bulk up? I'm not doing the typical bulk and cut bs. I'm training like a Gladiator, I can do 30+ pull ups, 45+ dips. Most of those "bulked up" bodybuilders aka fat asses can barely reach 10 pull ups.

No need to bulk/cut do do clean bulk etc if you're paranoid about losing your abs. Pro bodybuilders are training for completely different reason then strength, so you can't even compare two types of training. Anyway, average doesn't train like them and doesn't look like them so don't use them as be-all-end-all example. There are other methodologies and bodies.

You don't look like a gladiator, get real. You've got some good results, but there is another 15lbs to gain. You use 300 movie actors as good example? Well, Gerard Butler was twice the size you are now.

Maybe way better thing is to start slower and create a great blog (text or video) that documents your journey and training which then builds up your audience and you can then launch the ebook and then keep adding different products to it to serve that audience. That's more long-term serious solution.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.