The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If You Were A Moderator

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
550%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Any way of making user name mentions stand out from the likes you get? Different color maybe?

I know I've missed quite a few mentions in threads because they look basically identical in the alerts section as the likes.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
I would like a way to flag profiles instead of having to call out a mod when someone is spam-posting the forum. Did I miss the button somewhere?

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
G

GuestUser4aMPs1

For better or worse when i see someone with low Rep post advice i just feel like "how do i know this person knows what he/she is talking about?", while for high rep people im all ears because i know theyve been around awhile and most likely aren't giving inexperienced advise.

But from my understanding is that there are many low rep people on this forum that are successful in business with great advise but just haven't been on the forum long enough or didn't create a GOLD thread or something to accumulate large REPs.

Perhaps another form of Credentials is in order for people who volunteer to get it, so their advise can be trusted.

Was just about to post this suggestion - lo and behold, here it is!

while for high rep people im all ears because i know theyve been around awhile and most likely aren't giving inexperienced advise.

Conversely, imagine a hypothetical situation where a high-rep member is duplicitous - not practicing what they teach or blowing their stature out of proportion.
Not to say it hasn't happened or anything... ;)

I'd seriously suggest a "Verified" badge, hand-vetted by the staff to ensure the poster practices what they teach based on a set of criteria.
The user's business can be kept entirely private from the forum, but has to be verified by staff if they want the badge.

I automatically assume (as other users might as well) that a user >$10K rep is a high-value person with experience.
Rep alone does not reflect real-life character. We are all strangers on the internet, after all.

Kubaoo1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 18, 2017
Poland, Europe
Maybe something like searching users by topics they do, e.g. #ecommerce #furniture and by their place of live/age etc. That'd be nice!

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Was just about to post this suggestion - lo and behold, here it is!

Conversely, imagine a hypothetical situation where a high-rep member is duplicitous - not practicing what they teach or blowing their stature out of proportion.
Not to say it hasn't happened or anything... ;)

I'd seriously suggest a "Verified" badge, hand-vetted by the staff to ensure the poster practices what they teach based on a set of criteria.
The user's business can be kept entirely private from the forum, but has to be verified by staff if they want the badge.

I automatically assume (as other users might as well) that a user >$10K rep is a high-value person with experience.
Rep alone does not reflect real-life character. We are all strangers on the internet, after all.
Many of the real players won't be interested in playing your game. Why should they? Are their ego's so shallow that they need to prove themselves to MJ? I doubt it.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Many of the real players won't be interested in playing your game. Why should they? Are their ego's so shallow that they need to prove themselves to MJ? I doubt it.

Gotcha. It's the "What's in it for Me?" aspect of having a verification system.
Most of the heavy-hitters (like yourself) don't really see any reason for having to prove to other people that you're credible.

Good point - Case closed, disregard!

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Gotcha. It's the "What's in it for Me?" aspect of having a verification system.
Most of the heavy-hitters (like yourself) don't really see any reason for having to prove to other people that you're credible.

Good point - Case closed, disregard!
I just have a lot of rep because I'm lucky.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
This thread is GREAT and I am glad it lives on. MJ has implemented several of the ideas over time from this thread.

Just a word of caution to anyone that has read thus far...

There is zero chance that anything is ever going to be implemented that cannot be automated. Nobody is signing up for a job here, including MJ. There's not going to be any manual anything (checks and balances, researching, validating, etc...)

YOUR JOB for your free membership here is to serve as the natural filter of bullshit. The forum is, and will remain self regulating. In the free exchange of ideas here, there are regularly scammers, spammers, and trolls. It's YOUR JOB as a forum member to help flush it out. Most of the famous flame outs here have happened because of posters, not admins. It's been the forum itself that regulates the forum. That's one of the cool things about this place... you all protect it because it is worth protecting.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Also, who would want the "I have money, PM me badge"?

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

Chinobey

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 19, 2017
England
Not a clue if there is a different place to put this but for the 1 year anniversary speed points badge it says 3 points on the left and for the description it says 4 points

G

Guest3722A

Not sure if the forum software has a feature like this that can be implemented but a way to possibly get more engagement here would be to show how close members are to a level up from say bronze to silver. One way could be a circle that starts out a solid color like white and tic by tic/comment by comment the circle fills in. In the top right quadrant (or allotted space) put BRONZE -maybe making it a bronze color that fills in, bottom right quadrant silver, etc etc. Once at legendary maybe put a colored border around the filled in quadrants ?? Maybe do at the bottom and move the rep bank over to the left and put the circle to the right of it ?? Or instead of a circle, maybe a line would be easier ?? As with the rank stripes this could be the forum equivalent of decoration medals all the while pushing members into more interaction.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Not sure if the forum software has a feature like this that can be implemented but a way to possibly get more engagement here would be to show how close members are to a level up from say bronze to silver. One way could be a circle that starts out a solid color like white and tic by tic/comment by comment the circle fills in. In the top right quadrant (or allotted space) put BRONZE -maybe making it a bronze color that fills in, bottom right quadrant silver, etc etc. Once at legendary maybe put a colored border around the filled in quadrants ?? Maybe do at the bottom and move the rep bank over to the left and put the circle to the right of it ?? Or instead of a circle, maybe a line would be easier ?? As with the rank stripes this could be the forum equivalent of decoration medals all the while pushing members into more interaction.

Contributor levels go by likes. I know legendary is 5,000 likes. I want to say gold is 1,000. Platinum may be 2,000 or 2,500.

G

Guest3722A

Contributor levels go by likes. I know legendary is 5,000 likes. I want to say gold is 1,000. Platinum may be 2,000 or 2,500.
That makes sense. And shows what I know. In that case, I don't think this idea would help increase the overall value of the forum then. At first I thought it could help to develop higher quality posts through the visual reward of the upticks but many here I think would game something like this unfortunately. Anyway, thanks for commenting.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
That makes sense. And shows what I know. In that case, I don't think this idea would help increase the overall value of the forum then. At first I thought it could help to develop higher quality posts through the visual reward of the upticks but many here I think would game something like this unfortunately. Anyway, thanks for commenting.

The best thing we can do to help encourage people to share value is to like any post you find helpful. Also, give rep whenever you feel a like isn't enough. Even giving $25 rep is a good thank you to someone.

I was having this conversation with @JAJT recetly about it. It's kind of a let down when you spend 30 minutes, even an hour sometimes writing up a post only to get answered with crickets. One thing he does, and something I plan on doing more often, is rewarding and participating whenever someone posts a guide, AMA or a good writeup on a topic or issue.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
760%
Dec 6, 2016
The best thing we can do to help encourage people to share value is to like any post you find helpful. Also, give rep whenever you feel a like isn't enough. Even giving $25 rep is a good thank you to someone.

I was having this conversation with @JAJT recetly about it. It's kind of a let down when you spend 30 minutes, even an hour sometimes writing up a post only to get answered with crickets. One thing he does, and something I plan on doing more often, is rewarding and participating whenever someone posts a guide, AMA or a good writeup on a topic or issue.

I like to give reps to those that are taking action, but haven't sold anything yet. Maybe that will help them through the "desert of desertion"?

But, I make it a point to give reps if someone posts they made a sale too. That sale is the start of a positive feedback loop, so maybe giving some rep encouragement will help keep that loop going for them?

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
"If I were moderator,
Ya ha moddle moddle, modda modda deedle deedle dum.
All day long I'd moddle tweedle deedle dum.
Modding sitting on my bum"

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
"If I were moderator,
Ya ha moddle moddle, modda modda deedle deedle dum.
All day long I'd moddle tweedle deedle dum.
Modding sitting on my bum"

Do I have the ability to landfill individual posts?

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
It would be nice if there were a "verified fastlaner" badge, but I know that, per Vig's assertion that it has to be automated, this won't happen.

Ex: I have "Legendary" status. I still have a 9-5. The last business I started was now approximately 5 years ago and it was a failure. I came here to learn, and I do contribute where I can, but my likes driven status is a product of the fact that I simply spend a lot of time on the forum. It's essentially my social media, or as MJ put it somewhere else, my water cooler. I have lots of likes basically just because I like to hang with you people.

There really needs to be something more substantive to measure contribution.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts