The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are You Manipulating Yourself? (DANGEROUS)

Anything related to matters of the mind

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
363%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Warning: This does include some nutrition controversy, so anyone who's easily triggered by diets and such may not want to read this.

The more I go through life as someone with a goal of creating a life of pure abundance and freedom, the more I notice things that, if they are not changed, may result in me never reaching those goals.. And are actually flat out harmful.

What I'm going to share here kept me stuck for years on end, and there's no way I'm the only one who's experienced this, and it's so important that I decided to make this thread on it.

Let me put you in a scenario so you can understand.

If you've ever been interested in what diet go on, the first place you go to is YouTube.

Let's say that a YouTuber tells you that going completely vegan is the answer or that going complete carnivore is the answer, the end all be all, the best thing you can do for your body.

Based on which kind of content you consume the most, you'll naturally see it as kind of a religion. You'll see the other option as the total enemy, and start to even resent them.

If you had been forced to only consume the other side of the story, like if you're mostly exposed to vegan content on the internet, you'll probably think carnivore is stupid and unhealthy.

Meanwhile, if you're mostly exposed to carnivore, vegans all of a sudden are the scum of earth.

Now, this all ties back into entrepreneurship, and you'll see why soon.

What seems to happen when you get super into a way of doing something is that you will stay consistent with that belief at all costs. LITERALLY.

It doesn't matter if you're vegan and clearly pure vegan is causing a bad reaction in your body, you'll STILL defend that belief and say "Oh, it can't be that it's something else" (the opposite is also true for carnivore)

And when you believe something like that, and you accidentally see a video or someone challenges you, you may defend your position, but deep down you feel like there may be some truth to what they're saying, however, since you're so committed to your belief, you'll never admit it and write it off.. Therefore you make no changes.

This is called seeking confirmation bias. This is DANGEROUS.

And it's the reason why I'm starting to think that going to places like YouTube for answers on ANYTHING past the basics of something that could alter your life positively or negatively in some way, is a way to stay trapped and not take any meaningful action.

What do I mean by this?

Let's say you're constantly being exposed to a specific diet's content on YouTube, and you become convinced that one way of doing things is better than the other way..

But you yourself actually feel BETTER doing it the first way, and in reality it's essential for your own personal body that you do it the first way, and very unhealthy for your body in particular if you do it the other way.

What happens is, you find something that seems to work for you, but then a video or article pops up attacking that thing, telling you how bad it is, how it affects blood levels to be on the diet you're on and all of this stuff..

And you become confused.. How could this be? I feel so good doing what I'm doing..?

Maybe out of that fearful article you read, it causes you to transition to a new diet even though you felt GREAT on the other diet.. And with your new diet all of a sudden, you feel like trash..

But you don't want to go back to the other diet because those bad things the author of the article said.. Sticks in the back of your mind..

The point so far is - nobody, not a single person on earth - is right or wrong. If something works for YOU, but it doesn't work for someone ELSE who is attacking that thing, you cannot let that person's negative experience of what's working for you determine what you do.

THAT is DANGEROUS.

Let's bring this into entrepreneurship a little bit, and how this whole thing, if we don't take it seriously can keep us stuck.

Maybe there's a sales or ads technique that someone is telling you to do because it works so GOOD for them..

But then, you click on another video and this person is saying "X technique SUCKS, do THIS!"

Without the ability to move through this conflicting information, you will become confused and do absolutely nothing, you'll be paralyzed mentally.

What you need to see in this above example is that the first video is saying that X sales technique worked like a CHARM for them.

And X sales technique DID NOT work for the SECOND video author, for them.

We need to keep in mind how this can manipulate us.

Usually, the more attractive personality would win in this situation and we would call the other guy, who perhaps has less subscribers on YouTube or is not as certain or charismatic as the other guy, STUPID.

But what if the ATTRACTIVE personality was saying the OPPOSITE and the other guy was saying the thing that the attractive personality said in the first place instead?

Chances are, if you're not careful, you'd STILL believe the attractive personality.

ALL of that is a FACADE.

The question is - does it get sales FOR YOU?

If what the attractive personality was saying does NOT get you sales, you think to yourself that something is wrong with you, and you quit.

Meanwhile, if you had listened to the second, less attractive personality, it would be MUCH more suited for your business and would SKYROCKET it..

I believe there is a true danger in not being aware of these things, and it's how many people can get stuck in analysis paralysis.. Forever!

The end all be all is - what works for you works for you, no matter how weird or outside the box it is. Step-by-step plans from others are stupid and make no sense, it's impossible for someone to know exactly what will work for you in any aspect of life.

Hopefully this all made sense and helps someone..

-Mike

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
567%
Apr 17, 2022
Diet is the new religion because people have the natural tendency to identify themselves with their habits and way of life. And just like with religion, people are willing to argue very violently to defend their belief.

With both diet and religion, I think the best course of action is to be respectful towards each other, and mind our own business.

When it comes to entrepreneurship however, things are a lot more clear and can be analyzed mathematically, in an objective manner. Having solid first-principles understanding of business, by using models such as CENTS, is going to be superior to any sales tactic or marketing gimmick you learn on youtube.

What people need to understand about "business influencers" on social media is that their goal is to get as many views (or course sales) as possible. They achieve this by sensationalism and expressing polarizing ideas, that are meant to elicit an emotional response from the viewer. They are not doing this for your own education.

Beginner entrepreneurs would be much better off just turning off youtube and reading MJ's books instead. If you don't know what business is about, and you listen to the influencers, you will become very confused and you will end up missing the forest for the trees.

That's when you see kids implementing morning routines, meditation, and arguing about sales tactics.

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Warning: This does include some nutrition controversy, so anyone who's easily triggered by diets and such may not want to read this.

The more I go through life as someone with a goal of creating a life of pure abundance and freedom, the more I notice things that, if they are not changed, may result in me never reaching those goals.. And are actually flat out harmful.

What I'm going to share here kept me stuck for years on end, and there's no way I'm the only one who's experienced this, and it's so important that I decided to make this thread on it.

If you've ever been interested in what diet go on, the first place you go to is YouTube.

Let's say that a YouTuber tells you that going completely vegan is the answer or that going complete carnivore is the answer, the end all be all, the best thing you can do for your body.

Based on which kind of content you consume the most, you'll naturally see it as kind of a religion. You'll see the other option as the total enemy, and start to even resent them.

If you had been forced to only consume the other side of the story, like if you're mostly exposed to vegan content on the internet, you'll probably think carnivore is stupid and unhealthy.

Meanwhile, if you're mostly exposed to carnivore, vegans all of a sudden are the scum of earth.

What seems to happen when you get super into a way of doing something is that you will stay consistent with that belief at all costs. LITERALLY.

It doesn't matter if you're vegan and clearly pure vegan is causing a bad reaction in your body, you'll STILL defend that belief and say "Oh, it can't be that it's something else" (the opposite is also true for carnivore)

And when you believe something like that, and you accidentally see a video or someone challenges you, you may defend your position, but deep down you feel like there may be some truth to what they're saying, however, since you're so committed to your belief, you'll never admit it and write it off.. Therefore you make no changes.

And it's the reason why I'm starting to think that going to places like YouTube for answers on ANYTHING past the basics of something that could alter your life positively or negatively in some way, is a way to stay trapped and not take any meaningful action.

What do I mean by this?

Let's say you're constantly being exposed to a specific diet's content on YouTube, and you become convinced that one way of doing things is better than the other way..

But you yourself actually feel BETTER doing it the first way, and in reality it's essential for your own personal body that you do it the first way, and very unhealthy for your body in particular if you do it the other way.

What happens is, you find something that seems to work for you, but then a video or article pops up attacking that thing, telling you how bad it is, how it affects blood levels to be on the diet you're on and all of this stuff..

And you become confused.. How could this be? I feel so good doing what I'm doing..?

Maybe out of that fearful article you read, it causes you to transition to a new diet even though you felt GREAT on the other diet.. And with your new diet all of a sudden, you feel like trash..

But you don't want to go back to the other diet because those bad things the author of the article said.. Sticks in the back of your mind..

The point so far is - nobody, not a single person on earth - is right or wrong. If something works for YOU, but it doesn't work for someone ELSE who is attacking that thing, you cannot let that person's negative experience of what's working for you determine what you do.

THAT is DANGEROUS.

Let's bring this into entrepreneurship a little bit, and how this whole thing, if we don't take it seriously can keep us stuck.

Maybe there's a sales or ads technique that someone is telling you to do because it works so GOOD for them..

But then, you click on another video and this person is saying "X technique SUCKS, do THIS!"

Without the ability to move through this conflicting information, you will become confused and do absolutely nothing, you'll be paralyzed mentally.

What you need to see in this above example is that the first video is saying that X sales technique worked like a CHARM for them.

Usually, the more attractive personality would win in this situation and we would call the other guy, who perhaps has less subscribers on YouTube or is not as certain or charismatic as the other guy, STUPID.

But what if the ATTRACTIVE personality was saying the OPPOSITE and the other guy was saying the thing that the attractive personality said in the first place instead?

Chances are, if you're not careful, you'd STILL believe the attractive personality.

ALL of that is a FACADE.

If what the attractive personality was saying does NOT get you sales, you think to yourself that something is wrong with you, and you quit.

Meanwhile, if you had listened to the second, less attractive personality, it would be MUCH more suited for your business and would SKYROCKET it..

I believe there is a true danger in not being aware of these things, and it's how many people can get stuck in analysis paralysis.. Forever!

The end all be all is - what works for you works for you, no matter how weird or outside the box it is. Step-by-step plans from others are stupid and make no sense, it's impossible for someone to know exactly what will work for you in any aspect of life.

-Mike
I don't think I usually go look for a counter argument about what I'm focused on. I don't really argue with what I listen to or read. I suppose at this point, I just know it's the persons opinion and don't really make it mine. Objectivity, transcending belief systems. There's so many belief systems out there, I'm not sure you could ever agree with all of them. The world is a contradiction. As INFJ, once upon a time, it might have been my contradiction, but then you understand Chaos is within yourself and externally. If you let go of the Chaos, you don't seem to hang on to the world's contradictions of many belief systems.

I suppose that means, you must find balance between Chaos and Order in yourself. Then you don't need to be in the argument of whether I should be a Vegan because someone else said it was cool to do.

I just watched a video Street Take Overs in California. Now, it seems it is influenced by people who feel this is a cool thing to do. I don't go out and follow the example or the group and start spinning fast cars hit a crow of people. It's Chaos and the Police are the Order and don't show up until the damage is done.

If someone makes a video on You Tube selling me the Idea that it's 100% fun, I'm still not going to do it, just because someone's selling the idea. There is not manipulating myself. I just know, it's a dangerous situation, risks my own life, other people's lives, and then the consequences of legal fees, hospital bills, and dang a whole lot of expenses that is 100% a waste of time and money.

More do you have common sense when you listen or read anything? I've watched people eat cat food, and get paid for it on you tube. Not really, my idea of a career eating cat food.

May just be where one is in growth and development since you have all age groups watching you tube. As an 18-20 year old I did a lot of what your saying just because your young, naive, don't know much about the world, how it works, and easy to be influenced.

I just pointed out stuff to someone on You Tube i don't agree with, but I never manipulated myself. I studied the niche for years, researched it, and called them out on it. They called me a bully and troll because I gave them criticism true facts, said it nicely, and their stardom built and ego that believes no other person could tell them they were wrong with information. Ego of I am the star and I know everything, I can't be wrong.

First time really, I even said anything to anyone, pointed out I'm hardly a bully. I laughed of course, because I don't bully people.

I think I see people manipulate others, more then I manipulate myself. I'm observer, take in information, it either resonates or it doesn't. I let it go and move on.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Diet and genetics are both superstitions for people in the modern age. You can chalk just about anything up to those two categories, in superstitious fashion

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

What do I mean by this?

THAT is DANGEROUS.

ALL of that is a FACADE.

-Mike
I agree with this dimension that we should be open-minded and realize that what works for some doesn't work for others.

I think there is another dimension in this, that business people tend to do when it comes to advice, is to do what it really works and propagate what is socially and politically acceptable.

If someone made a killing in face-to-face sales using their personal sex appeal, they are not going to broadcast to the whole world about it.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.