The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

When and how should I create a minimum viable product?

NicholasCato

Contributor
Oct 31, 2018
so to get straight to it, I have this idea for an educational product and after talking to someone with 8 years in the industry, I was told there’s definitely a place for my product.

The thing is, I know even a minimum viable product could take thousands of dollars and at least a year in a half of time to produce. Before I do that, I need to know if there’s an actual consumer want for what I’m offering so I can use this focus group to test my product.

My question is how exactly would I go about finding this group, and if I go the email list route, what is a good number of signups to justify creating the product?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

jon.M

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
If it takes a year to produce it's probably not an MVP. You say it's an educational product. Can't you try to provide it as a service, one-on-one first and see if people are willing to whip out their wallets? Mentoring, tutoring, coaching or whatever it is you wanna do.

OP
OP
NicholasCato

NicholasCato

Contributor
Oct 31, 2018
If it takes a year to produce it's probably not an MVP. You say it's an educational product. Can't you try to provide it as a service, one-on-one first and see if people are willing to whip out their wallets? Mentoring, tutoring, coaching or whatever it is you wanna do.

It’s a passive income product like a digital course meaning I create it once. But it’s interactive also which would require programming that’s why I say it could take a year.

Thinking about it a bit more the absolute bare minimum I could do is create a short video explaining what the app would be but that’s not really the same

Bru

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Oct 17, 2018
France
It’s a passive income product like a digital course meaning I create it once. But it’s interactive also which would require programming that’s why I say it could take a year.

Thinking about it a bit more the absolute bare minimum I could do is create a short video explaining what the app would be but that’s not really the same
Hi, don t know if this is applicable but is there a possibility for you to develop a test version, a simplified or just a module (or chapter, meaning only a short part) of your product?
If yes, then create it, test with kickstarter or similar solutions to promote and assess potential customer volume.
Propose the sample either at a very low price of with a discount on the final product.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom