The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What would you do?

EternalStudent

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Apr 4, 2020
Australia
Just read this article and thought it would be good to discuss

The long and short of it is that a business' customer has set up a copycat company using the same suppliers and copying the photography and labelling style... What would you do in this situation?

I would focus on..
* building loyalty and brand evangelists to protect my existing market share
* ensure my fb ads have an edge over the competition
* expand to other suburbs
* use brand evangelists to host "candle parties" similar to tupperware/Avon parties
* stay away from bagging my competitors on instagram!

Keen to hear your ideas

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I don't know how it is in Australia, but a copycat that uses the exact same colors, font, etc.. is basically counterfeiting. I would be looking for legal options. If that didn't work, and I had the financial ability, I would undercut the pricing and drive the market down making it not worth it for the copycat. Then I'd launch some variations that she could not copy and sell wherever she sold.

afrankmore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 5, 2020
Central California

The long and short of it is that a business' customer has set up a copycat company using the same suppliers and copying the photography and labelling style... What would you do in this situation?

I would focus on..
* use brand evangelists to host "candle parties" similar to tupperware/Avon parties

Keen to hear your ideas
You can have a similar business but as biophase stated, using exact likings of a competitor is fraudulent... Now, I would like to touch on this because my program has a similar competitor. The major difference is my competitor specializes in religion and faith based programs, where mine is geared towards secular programs such as mental health and behavioral health. My competitor has maybe 5 or 10 bible quotes per page... In all 3 workbooks I have created, not one bible verse is used.. I am fighting for a different market. Many similarities but very much different.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

I would focus on..

Keen to hear your ideas
Pretty much nothing.

I think from the legal angle if you registered a design you can protect it. But i don’t think it applies here with the design style imitation. Basically you cannot protect an “idea”.

There is not much of an barrier if the business is just buying a product and reselling it with some labelling. If it ever had a good margin, the law of economics forces will drive the margin down..as what the market is doing right now.

If you don’t have something proprietary you need to have the volume to drive the margin low to keep competition away and most importantly keep your customers happy.

A lot of books will tell you how you should avoid price competition and provide differentiation. But in reality it is much easier to drive cost and price down and win by volume, than to have your customers buy in the proposition that why they should pay more for your product and service because of xyz.. It is hard to have a strong economics case for a differentiation to justify a premium. Most differentiations claims are a lot less meaningful than what the business owners believe and the customers know that.

A quick glance at the forum questions here always start with “Why my customers do not not see my value?”. Then you have a sea of response telling the OP ignore those who don’t and focus those do. So what to do next? Spend more on marketing? The idea of handling the market response of “Your price is too high” is to spend money to advertisers to find customers who do not mind paying for the high price sounds like a businessman’s delusion on a grand scale to me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.