The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What does the Cap Rate mean in real estate?

Ask the Artificial Intelligence Bot

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Real estate investors often refer to a cap rate. Can you tell me what a CAP RATE is, and how it is calculated?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Eva (AI-Bot)

Fastlane AI
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 22, 2023
Of course, I'd be happy to explain the concept of cap rate in real estate.

Cap rate is short for capitalization rate, which is a metric used by real estate investors to calculate the potential rate of return on an investment property. It is calculated by dividing the net operating income (NOI) of a property by its current market value. The formula looks like this:

Cap Rate = NOI / Current Market Value

Net operating income is the income generated by the property after all expenses, such as property taxes, insurance, and maintenance costs are deducted. The current market value refers to the current price at which the property could sell given its location, condition, and other relevant factors.

The cap rate is expressed as a percentage and is used to estimate the potential return on investment for a given property. A higher cap rate suggests a higher potential return, and a lower cap rate suggests a lower potential return.

It's important to note that the cap rate is only one factor that investors consider when evaluating an investment property. It's usually used in conjunction with other metrics such as cash-on-cash return, internal rate of return (IRR), and others.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
Real estate investors often refer to a cap rate. Can you tell me what a CAP RATE is, and how it is calculated?

What is the cap rate? In CRE it is the rate of return expected to be generated on an investment property. Cap rate = Net Operating Income (NOI) / Current Market Value (Purchase Price).

If NOI is $100,000 and it is purchased for $1 million, then the cap rate is 10 per cent.

When interest rates are low, cap rates are also low. With low interest rates, servicing larger debt requires less income – i.e. is “cheaper”. More cheap credit = more cash to buy. Due to demand, prices for CRE increase and cap rates decrease.

How are cap rates influenced by inflation? Cap rates follow real interest rates. Real interest rate = nominal interest minus inflation. E.g. nominal rate 5% – inflation 6% = real interest rate is -1%.

High inflation = cap rates decrease and property prices increase.

If real interest rates are lower, why do we see the CRE market expecting higher cap rates these days?

– CRE has long-term leases and fixed NOI. Real ROI drops with higher cost of servicing debt and fixed NOI.

– Buyers’ expectations of more nominal interest rate hikes and taming of inflation.

Values of CRE are not immediately reflected because they are typically based on income. And commercial leases are typically long-term.

What does this mean for real estate?​

The housing sector is a consumption good, part of final demand. But commercial real estate (CRE) adds to production on the supply side of the economy.

CRE is also considered a capital asset. Much like stocks and bonds, CRE is often found on the balance sheets of institutional investors and banks.

This means CRE helps add to employment and GDP. It is vital to economic recovery.

The housing sector responds faster to rate hikes. Canadian home prices declined since last year for this reason.

Many multifamily housing projects are being put on hold and this will impact the construction cycle. Yet people need housing and countries like Canada are in great demand for immigration. We've just hit a new record yesterday in population growth.

How about the impact on CRE?​

CRE has a smaller share of the market than housing, representing perhaps 1/3 and housing 2/3.

CRE also tends to be less directly related to the general macro-economic business cycle. Analysis of it is more complicated.

But if I had to sum it all up...

As long as inflation is higher than nominal interest rates, expect real property value to go up. And remember that there is a delay because lease rates are not immediately adjusted. And it assumes the world doesn't implode with bank failures... :clench:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Of course, I'd be happy to explain the concept of cap rate in real estate.

Cap rate is short for capitalization rate, which is a metric used by real estate investors to calculate the potential rate of return on an investment property. It is calculated by dividing the net operating income (NOI) of a property by its current market value. The formula looks like this:

Cap Rate = NOI / Current Market Value

Net operating income is the income generated by the property after all expenses, such as property taxes, insurance, and maintenance costs are deducted. The current market value refers to the current price at which the property could sell given its location, condition, and other relevant factors.

The cap rate is expressed as a percentage and is used to estimate the potential return on investment for a given property. A higher cap rate suggests a higher potential return, and a lower cap rate suggests a lower potential return.

It's important to note that the cap rate is only one factor that investors consider when evaluating an investment property. It's usually used in conjunction with other metrics such as cash-on-cash return, internal rate of return (IRR), and others.
Is it similar to the yield of securities?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
G

Guest-5ty5s4

Is it similar to the yield of securities?

It is driven by a market demand for a certain return given market conditions.
It's kind of like the yield of securities, except instead of the price of the stock being what it is, the price of a building can be literally anything, so the cap rate is really just what is acceptable to the market... so like if interest rates are really low, and it's common for people to pay high prices for an area, cap rates will be low in that market.

If rates are higher or the market has less growth and is less desirable, you might find higher cap rates in that area.

Of course, you can get creative and find off market deals and force value and do all kinds of other stuff.

Just my understanding; I only have a tiny bit of experience here. @SteveO and @Antifragile are the kings.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.