The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Value of e-mail lists

Marketing, social media, advertising
G

Guest12120

I listened to the interview with Ryan Deiss of Idea Incubator on Mixergy today.
At one point during the interview he said that e-mail lists are worth anywhere between $0.50 and $4-$5 per e-mail per month. So does it mean that if I have 10,000 addresses on my list I can count on making $5,000 per month from them?
It seems pretty hard to believe.

What are your experiences with monetizing your e-mail lists?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mr.Dietsch

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 30, 2012
Depends on how you obtain the emails. If you bought the email list you probably won't even make .50 a email, but if these lists are built through solid leads then just like MJ's case with his limo site your email list could be worth potentially millions. Really comes down to whose on your email list and why they are on it in the first place.

Pixpax

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
May 20, 2012
emails

Depends on how you obtain the emails. If you bought the email list you probably won't even make .50 a email, but if these lists are built through solid leads then just like MJ's case with his limo site your email list could be worth potentially millions. Really comes down to whose on your email list and why they are on it in the first place.

Depends. Each email on my list is worth $0.18 per month which may seem low, but if you can pick up emails for $0.40 - 50c on Facebook ads or elsewhere you can make real money.

G

Guest12120

So let's assume there is a list that was built over few years by an owner of a computer blog. All of e-mails on the list are legitimate and were used in the past so no risk of the addresses being undeliverable. Do they present value only to another computer related websites and are generally useless for anyone else, or this list still can be used with some success with any other unrelated businesses?
This situation is totally hypothetical. I don't plan to buy any e-mail lists, I am just curious if once you have your own list it can be easily transferred to any business or not?

Pixpax

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
May 20, 2012
So let's assume there is a list that was built over few years by an owner of a computer blog. All of e-mails on the list are legitimate and were used in the past so no risk of the addresses being undeliverable. Do they present value only to another computer related websites and are generally useless for anyone else, or this list still can be used with some success with any other unrelated businesses?
This situation is totally hypothetical. I don't plan to buy any e-mail lists, I am just curious if once you have your own list it can be easily transferred to any business or not?

Yes that's valuable in that you can send a mail to those users with a link to your site or perhaps affiliate offer which will subsequently make you money from commission or traffic to your site.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
They are only worth that if you properly nurture the list, provide good content, then when you pitch it is KILLER and is a good product that your list will respond to. So no, you can't "plan" on it, but you can work to "achieve" that level.

G

Guest12120

I wasn't thinking about selling or buying. This guy was talking about how much money marketing to the members of his list bring in profit. Hence figure per month. Obviously you have to have good, relevant product to sell. The question is: can you use once established list to market different not related products.

mtjr825

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Feb 28, 2012
Detroit, MI
I don't see why you couldn't use the same list, however it WILL NOT be effective and it's an easy way for people to opt out. If people agree to receive emails regarding one niche then how sure are you that they are interested in another product in a different niche. You should build an email list for that product to increase your conversion rates.

I wasn't thinking about selling or buying. This guy was talking about how much money marketing to the members of his list bring in profit. Hence figure per month. Obviously you have to have good, relevant product to sell. The question is: can you use once established list to market different not related products.

RazvanRogoz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Sep 18, 2011
Romania
It all depends on the list itself.

If the list contains only people who bought before and who were not bored to death with spam or "great offers", then it will convert at about 25%. If the list is public or simply have been worn out thanks to too many emails, it's not worth the Aweber subscription.

Ali

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
May 10, 2012
Oman
It depends on how you carry out your sales pitch when you want to sell your email database. Make it sound like you have hand-picked each and every data-point (email address) and you assure accuracy of data and eligibility of the each email.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.