The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The italian Grammarly

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Mario_fastlaner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 1, 2019
Milano
Time to start my execution thread.

I'm Italian and last semester in uni I had to study a new language (Spanish). When it came to preparing myself for the exam, one of the things I did was write some texts in Spanish to improve my writing skill. Since I had no one who could correct me (at least, not immediately) I searched an extension like Grammarly but for the Spanish language. I didn't find anything.

After the exam I had an idea: maybe there are people who are trying to learn Italian who would use an extension like Grammarly to improve their writing skills. This extension could be used also by people who have to write a lot in their job (for example bloggers or lawyers).

So now, I made a quick research and find no application similar to Grammarly for the Italian language. I also found on Quora some people asking for it, but 0 replies. I think this could be a good opportunity.

And now came the hard part: I have used Grammarly for a year or so, but I know nothing about how it works, how it is made, and so on. So I start from completely 0.

My plan at the beginning of this project is to commit 1.30 hour every day. I think it's more important to be constant for now. I'm doing this for the growth and for the experience, I don't care too much if this project won't get much success, I want to focus on the journey. Don't know how often I'll update this thread, but advice (or kick-a$$) from you guys is always welcomed.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Time to start my execution thread.

I'm Italian and last semester in uni I had to study a new language (Spanish). When it came to preparing myself for the exam, one of the things I did was write some texts in Spanish to improve my writing skill. Since I had no one who could correct me (at least, not immediately) I searched an extension like Grammarly but for the Spanish language. I didn't find anything.

After the exam I had an idea: maybe there are people who are trying to learn Italian who would use an extension like Grammarly to improve their writing skills. This extension could be used also by people who have to write a lot in their job (for example bloggers or lawyers).

So now, I made a quick research and find no application similar to Grammarly for the Italian language. I also found on Quora some people asking for it, but 0 replies. I think this could be a good opportunity.

And now came the hard part: I have used Grammarly for a year or so, but I know nothing about how it works, how it is made, and so on. So I start from completely 0.

My plan at the beginning of this project is to commit 1.30 hour every day. I think it's more important to be constant for now. I'm doing this for the growth and for the experience, I don't care too much if this project won't get much success, I want to focus on the journey. Don't know how often I'll update this thread, but advice (or kick-a$$) from you guys is always welcomed.
Start raising money.

Grammarly raised $200M to build this for English, where the market is much greater.

Mario_fastlaner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 1, 2019
Milano
Start raising money.

Grammarly raised $200M to build this for English, where the market is much greater.

Not sure what you mean, do I need to have money in order to start or it's better to do something else?

Great idea. But I think it already exists. Maybe not as good as Grammarly and not as known but it exists. Check it out, let's hope that I'm wrong: Grammar and Spell Checker - LanguageTool
Yes, I already see this, but people in the reviews say that is not as advanced as Grammarly. Don't know, I thought it is an opportunity.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Not sure what you mean, do I need to have money in order to start or it's better to do something else?

Yes, I already see this, but people in the reviews say that is not as advanced as Grammarly. Don't know, I thought it is an opportunity.
You're right it's not perfect. But getting in on their level is rather easy because you just need a database with rules and some programming skills. But getting it on the next level of Grammarly is hard. They had investments of 200+ million and did it. And I think no big investor will lend you a lot of money for a product/service which already exists in another language. I'm not a programmer but I think for Grammarly it would be much easier to get started in other languages, and the reason they haven't done it (yet). Is either that it isn't worth it because it's expensive or they are already working on it and it takes time.
So either it's difficult to win against such a big competitor. Normally I love ideas which are at first sight nearly impossible, but if I were you I wouldn't get started with this business.
Sorry for being so cold and direct but it's better if I'm honest.

Maybe you find another business to start, just let us know if we can help.
Cheers

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 20, 2016
Yeh, technically this is going to require a lot.

I know because I tried making my own version once upon a time.

Lots of work with AI will be involved and heavy programming. This isn't something you can spend time learning to develop on your own, maybe try finding someone or an agency on Upwork to give you an idea as to what requirements will be needed for something like this.

Furthermore, if you can build it, what is stopping Grammarly from just saying "Oh he did xyz, let's just copy that and do it better with our millions of dollars".

At the end of the day, you could be on to something and we could be completely wrong. It's up to you, there are risks and easy criticisms to make for every business. You do you.

Best of luck

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
If you're looking to take everything Grammarly has done and port it over to another market (Italian), then how they have built their business is going to be illuminating.

Early on in their development, they raises $90M, then convinced investors they need $110M more. To think you can compete with a company doing the same thing, in a much bigger market, with a tiny fraction of their resources would be an epic david and goliath tale.

The reason this is so costly to build is because, to do it well, you need incredible AI, which is costly to develop. And you need to develop it all from scratch.

Mario_fastlaner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 1, 2019
Milano
Got it. Thanks to all of you guys, very useful.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.