The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

The Best Set and Forget Business/Investments over long term?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

BigPower

PARKED
Sep 14, 2017
all over the place
Question:
I'm looking for your opinion on safe ,long term ,set and forget businesses
that require little to no 'care taking', are 'easy' to setup and preferably have a quick ROI.

Money to spend:
1-3 Million+ USD

what comes into my mind is something like
solar farms (if they would be profitable)
crypto mining farm (if they would be profitable and safe)

anyone can recommend something with
-little to no human interference
-low maintenance

similar to my suggestions?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
I wouldn't recommend setting and forgetting any investment, regardless of how passive it is.

I think solar farms has a lot to improve on, not solid investments as they stand now imo. There are much better options like stocks/commercial property for wealth preservation.

Read TMF and Unscripted, then read some books on stocks/commercial property and see how you would like to preserve the wealth you've accumulated and also on how you could grow it.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
How did one acquire the $1M to $3M?
What are the definitions of 'safe', 'long term', 'set and forget', and 'quick'?

Easy = treasuries? See the money system threads....

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Municipal bonds, tax free income for life.
Single-family homes with a great tenant and great property manager. While that might lower your NOI, the point is not to get rich, but to be perfectly passive and free.

RobD88

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 20, 2017
Missouri
Municipal bonds, tax free income for life.
Single-family homes with a great tenant and great property manager. While that might lower your NOI, the point is not to get rich, but to be perfectly passive and free.
Or multi-family units with same great property manager. Similarly, self-service storage facilities. Unfortunately nothing is truly set it and forget it. Either you or someone you trust has to do some sort of management.

My personal goal is to build up a similar amount and become a hard money lender to flippers. Decent short term return on investment and if they default, you hold a lein on the property so you get paid one way or another.

JScott

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2007
Or multi-family units with same great property manager. Similarly, self-service storage facilities. Unfortunately nothing is truly set it and forget it. Either you or someone you trust has to do some sort of management.
You might want to wait a couple years on this. With cap rates in most primary and secondary markets below 6%, and interest rates on the rise, apartment investors who got in between 2016 and now are going to be kicking themselves in a couple years... (in my opinion)

GetRichODT

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Feb 8, 2015
You might want to wait a couple years on this. With cap rates in most primary and secondary markets below 6%, and interest rates on the rise, apartment investors who got in between 2016 and now are going to be kicking themselves in a couple years... (in my opinion)
Kicking themselves why?

JScott

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2007
Kicking themselves why?
Given the ridiculously low cap rates we've seen over the past few years, with interest rates increasing and most FNMA commercial loans hitting their 10 year balloon payments, values will almost certainly drop over the next 5 years. Owners won't be able to refinance and still cash flow, so they'll want to sell, and with cap rates almost certainly going up, they will have to sell for a loss (or at least bring cash to the table) to get rid of many of these properties.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Reactions: RSN

GetRichODT

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Feb 8, 2015
Given the ridiculously low cap rates we've seen over the past few years, with interest rates increasing and most FNMA commercial loans hitting their 10 year balloon payments, values will almost certainly drop over the next 5 years. Owners won't be able to refinance and still cash flow, so they'll want to sell, and with cap rates almost certainly going up, they will have to sell for a loss (or at least bring cash to the table) to get rid of many of these properties.
Who would want to buy them in that scenario? Seems the new buyer would have the same cash flow issues, no?

JScott

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2007
Who would want to buy them in that scenario? Seems the new buyer would have the same cash flow issues, no?
Nobody is going to want to buy them at the price the current owner bought them. That's why the current owners will be kicking themselves...they will have to take a loss on their property. That's why I don't recommend buying now, and why I believe anyone who bought in the past few years won't be very happy...

Reactions: IGP

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Thread #3, same topic, 2 screen names, and no posts outside of your own few threads you started.

WTF.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
How do I sell to a different country with an accent? And a foreign number. Cold e-mails don't...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
Hey @Cruiser I just shot you a reply! Amazing product BTW!
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Well, we made it halfway through the year. Don't know what the rest'll bring, but it's gonna be...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Not really a teaser but it does employ a fictional story, so that is similiar. This upcoming...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom