The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Take it: Six-figure local service opportunity (Better than copywriting!)

Idea threads

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I have a business idea for someone who wants it. Someone please do this instead of copywriting or freelancing. You'll report back having made 6 figures in no time.

Reverse osmosis water filteration systems are very popular right now for good reason. City water is F*cking gross and full of chlorine and flouride (toxic waste) and RO systems remove everything... But installation is a problem for most people.

I have put a few of them in for us and family and anyone could learn to install them pretty easily.

These systems from APEC are fantastic and are only $200-300 on Amazon.

Become an official dealer with them and they obviously get cheaper for you.

I think you'd be pretty busy installing these for $750 all in. I think most customers would view this as a great value. It would be a great word of mouth business with the opportunity for reoccuring revenue to swap out the filters for existing customers every 6 months. It probably takes an hour average to install if you have everything.

So you're making minimum $550 an hour without counting drive time. This is important because it means you can easily afford to hire good people and pay well to do the installs once you get busy. You can also keep adding cities to serve.

You and your technicians don't even really need a truck, just small SUVs or cars would be big enough to haul around all the tools necessary. So if you have a car. You could easily start doing this with less than $1000 initial investment.

Make a one-pager pitch and put it on 1000 doorsteps in an upper middle class community. That's the hardest you'll ever work in this business.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I have a business idea for someone who wants it. Someone please do this instead of copywriting or freelancing. You'll report back having made 6 figures in no time.

Reverse osmosis water filteration systems are very popular right now for good reason. City water is F*cking gross and full of chlorine and flouride (toxic waste) and RO systems remove everything... But installation is a problem for most people.

I have put a few of them in for us and family and anyone could learn to install them pretty easily.

I think you'd be pretty busy installing these for $750 all in. I think most customers would view this as a great value. It would be a great word of mouth business with the opportunity for reoccuring revenue to swap out the filters for existing customers every 6 months. It probably takes an hour average to install if you have everything.

So you're making minimum $550 an hour without counting drive time. This is important because it means you can easily afford to hire good people and pay well to do the installs once you get busy. You can also keep adding cities to serve.

You and your technicians don't even really need a truck, just small SUVs or cars would be big enough to haul around all the tools necessary. So if you have a car. You could easily start doing this with less than $1000 initial investment.

Make a one-pager pitch and put it on 1000 doorsteps in an upper middle class community. That's the hardest you'll ever work in this business.
As a side note, everyone with enough money should have one of these

We have RO and full house filter system

It’s F*cking disgusting what it looks like and smells like when you change the filter

This is something that you pay once and install once and it improves your health forever

Yes spring water and distilled water might be a bit better but who has time for that

Edit: if you’re gunna do this don’t over complicate it, I have a friend selling $1000+ sales using Facebook marketplace.

Just post an ad there and once you get a sale take a deposit, order the system and book the install for after it arrives

Last edited:

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe

While I freely admit this is a great idea and I actually think it would work (which is rare), even if I was broke I wouldn’t do it. Involves meeting too many people, frequent travel, and physical work. I like to make money sitting in a chair.

*Prepares to be flogged for having a terrbile mindset* :eyes:

I know what the consequences are, but still I do it… I must be a masochist :rofl:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
While I freely admit this is a great idea and I actually think it would work (which is rare), even if I was broke I wouldn’t do it. Involves meeting too many people, frequent travel, and physical work. I like to make money sitting in a chair.

I know what the consequences are, but still I do it… I must be a masochist :rofl:
Heres my flog. Once anything gets big enough, business is business. You know that.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

If someone wants to get even more fancy with this. Set up a basic shopify with a financing app for them.

"Unlimited perfect drinking water, in your own home for $3 a day." (For however long.)

Even better than that... For 2023 consoooooomerist. Turn the whole thing into a subscription program.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Turn the whole thing into a subscription program.

I will also add that this can be turned into a subscription. Our RO guy comes every 6 months and replaces the filters, although we don't use an APEC. APECS are great, had them at my other houses.

Topic moved to its own thread.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I will also add that this can be turned into a subscription. Our RO guy comes every 6 months and replaces the filters, although we don't use an APEC. APECS are great, had them at my other houses.

Topic moved to its own thread.
This is next on my list to get installed in my house!

Just kind of afraid to drill into my slab of quartz for the spiget.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

This adds to the entry barrier as it requires a specialized drill bit (and maybe a drill!)

Installed my own RO system but had to use NextDoor to find someone to drill the hole.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Good idea!
You may do that without a plumber zertification in US ?
In Germany you ll have to to a pro education for about 5 years, before you get a license to do that professional.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Good idea!
You may do that without a plumber zertification in US ?
In Germany you ll have to to a pro education for about 5 years, before you get a license to do that professional.
This is a good point. Communist governments might intentionally prevent you from being able to do this.

@MJ DeMarco is your reverse osmosis guy a GoveRNmplumberfied lConSeD pLumBer?

They really are just a couple of adapters. The kits have basically everything and they are very DIY friendly for people that are handy, but a nightmare for the clueless. It is pretty commonplace for people to hire a general handyman to put these in.

The way to get around this, if it actually is a barrier, would be to make a deal with a lUconSeud pLUmGerr in the area to flat rate install these for your company. You might have thinner margins, but the labor is outsourced from day one. Now you're just lead gen. Hey @Black_Dragon43 starting to look better yet?

Collect 750.
Buy 200 kit.
Call prearranged ~200 lIconSed plUmderr
Take home $350

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
@biophase, the drill you need is a hammer drill. I bought one from Porter-Cable. Hammer is a strong word for it, what it really does is rapidly viberate while it drills.

I only paid about $100 for mine a few years ago. I have used it for numerous things like mounting a mailbox to a mini slab I poured, mounting exterior lights and cameras in brick, drilling through tile and granite.

Look up how to safely drill quartz. It can't be rocket science. You'd do a better job than some tweaker graniteyard guy they'd send out.

Edit: After a little research, diamond bits with a traditional drill actually seem to be an even more careful choice. I'd probably go that route now.

Last edited:

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
"Unlimited perfect drinking water, in your own home for $3 a day." (For however long.)
Bro…but tap water is for plebs, what are you doing? You guys actually drink from the (filtered) tap?! :wideyed:

Personally, I only drink San Pellegrino, like a real chad. Instead of this idea, I suggest you invent a “no limit” San Pellegrino fountain, and come install it in my home. You need to make sure it’s sparkly too. I understand it’s a unique request, but I’m willing to pay handsomely.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
This is next on my list to get installed in my house!

I’m not sure if I understand correctly what you are saying

If this is what you mean though, you don’t need to add a separate ugly little tap to your bench

We swapped our main tap out to one with 2 outlets, one for filter one for regular water

No drilling into the bench needed
IMG_1167.jpeg
Nice upsell for people along with a filter subscription

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Bro…but tap water is for plebs, what are you doing? You guys actually drink from the (filtered) tap?! :wideyed:

Personally, I only drink San Pellegrino, like a real chad. Instead of this idea, I suggest you invent a “no limit” San Pellegrino fountain, and come install it in my home. You need to make sure it’s sparkly too. I understand it’s a unique request, but I’m willing to pay handsomely.
Of course. That's why I said "upper middle class" the true upper class only drinks San Peligrino and Perrier.

I bet the CEO of Aquafina and APEC only drink the aforementioned proper water. I'm still a plebe though, definitely no @Black_Dragon43 level gigachad, so I'm stuck with filtered city water. :rofl:

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

If this is what you mean though, you don’t need to add a separate ugly little tap to your bench

We swapped our main tap out to one with 2 outlets, one for filter one for regular water

View attachment 53380
You risk dripping total poverty water in it though... :rofl:

In all seriousness, I won't be drilling another hole at my next home.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
You risk dripping total poverty water in it though... :rofl:

In all seriousness, I won't be drilling another hole at my next home.
Only poor people’s taps drip

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

View attachment 53380
Thanks, I didn’t even know these existed.
I just searched for ro faucet combo and found these!

I also have a little sunk cost fallacy because the builder charged me $900 for my current faucet that’s a year old.

My current one:
IMG_4352.jpeg

I like this one:
IMG_4356.png

And this second:
IMG_4357.png

Last edited:

The One

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Feb 25, 2023
UK

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 10, 2022

Nothing wrong with that.
Enjoying things you do to a certain extent makes things easier.
Depends on how much each person is willing to compromise.
There is no right or wrong answer.
And indeed that is an unpopular opinion here.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Of course. That's why I said "upper middle class" the true upper class only drinks San Peligrino and Perrier.

I bet the CEO of Aquafina and APEC only drink the aforementioned proper water. I'm still a plebe though, definitely no @Black_Dragon43 level gigachad, so I'm stuck with filtered city water. :rofl:
Funnily enough, in Europe San Pellegrino is viewed as middle class water, as opposed to the US where only chads drink it lol. Common restaurants, pubs etc serve it almost everywhere in Italy, Switzerland and surruounding countries and it’s relatively cheap.

But yes, Perrier is what the rich here drink for sparkling, and Evian for still. They are also amongst the more expensive. If you go to a luxury hotel in Europe usually you’ll find a bottle of Perrier in there and either Vittel or Evian in the minibar.

In Eastern European countries tap is polluted, I only drink bottled. We have a filtering system but we use that only for cooking water, not for drinking. Even my cat gets bottled water to drink!

When I lived in the UK tap was very popular but I hated it, because it had a high calcium content and often left white streaks on the cutlery / glasses over time.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
405%
Apr 16, 2019
I use an over the counter RO system.

Fills up a 1.7L glass jar which we then fill into 1L glass water bottles for use throughout the day.

No drilling or faucet replacement necessary.

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jul 4, 2019
This is a good point. Communist governments might intentionally prevent you from being able to do this.

They really are just a couple of adapters. The kits have basically everything and they are very DIY friendly for people that are handy, but a nightmare for the clueless. It is pretty commonplace for people to hire a general handyman to put these in.

The way to get around this, if it actually is a barrier, would be to make a deal with a lUconSeud pLUmGerr in the area to flat rate install these for your company. You might have thinner margins, but the labor is outsourced from day one. Now you're just lead gen. Hey @Black_Dragon43 starting to look better yet?

Collect 750.
Buy 200 kit.
Take home $350

I looked it up, and in my state I would need a plumbing license that requires 288 classroom hours and 8,000 on-the-job training hours!! That's the lowest level requirement too. Even if I'm ONLY installing under-sink water filters. Gotta love it.

art72

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 5, 2024

The way to get around this, if it actually is a barrier, would be to make a deal with a dumbass licensed plumber in the area to flame rate install these for your company. You might have thinner margins, but the labor is outsourced from day one. Now you're just lead gen. Hey @Black_Dragon43 starting to look better yet?

Collect 750.

Collect 750.
Buy 200 kit.
Take home

Call prearranged ~200 plumber
Take home $350

Thank you for this... while I am trying to plot an 'exit strategy' from home improvement and move more towards internet based marketing strategies, this fits well with my past experience as a pool plumber and tradesman.

There's definitely a huge potential and since the R/O systems DO NOT require a licensed plumber or contractors license (*at least not here in Florida) - one would only need an 'over-the-counter' occupational license (or tax certificate), Workmans comp exemption, and some general liability insurance to get an LLC (*Be 100% Legal) and make a good run at this business model.

In all due seriousness, I'm THINKING; Roto-Rooter, Service Master or the potential to scale or even franchise something like this after getting two or three regional areas set up! A good brand, some integrity, and it could be (or become) a Fastlane Level enterprise in *3-5 years... with a massive payout and exit strategy! ***Especially, if built out, branded, and trademarked into franchises.

I am currently seeking such an 'exit strategy' in the form of low barrier, low cost start-ups, and I have researched this business model (*after reading your OP), and broken it down to be $2500 (or less) to get 100% legal here in Florida, running geo-targeted paid ads, and start generating revenues into 5 figures per month - working only part-time! (*OH Hell-Yeah!)

Thanks for the Share!

PS- let's not forget, for those who create and sell digital "How to's and What not's" - this could lead into several other revenue streams, networking partnerships, video installation tutorials for the DIY'ers, affiliate earnings(?)... or... GO BIG and franchise the entire business model with SaaS level lead gen management systems, supply chains, and incorporate 'the TOS" franchisee's are required under an FDD agreement and sell the business model with exclusive regional territories. Definitely something to consider!!!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I looked it up, and in my state I would need a plumbing license that requires 288 classroom hours and 8,000 on-the-job training hours!! That's the lowest level requirement too. Even if I'm ONLY installing under-sink water filters. Gotta love it.
So find one that did all that bogus stuff and strike a deal.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
100% agree. I installed an Apex water system in my house and it really wasn't that big of a deal. Buy a $20 diamond drill bit off of Amazon and follow instructions and you're in business.

The system I got makes my city water taste 1000% better.

Brookzo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 4, 2024
In Eastern European countries tap is polluted, I only drink bottled. We have a filtering system but we use that only for cooking water, not for drinking. Even my cat gets bottled water to drink!
Daym, is it really that bad? How many bottles do you go through a month?(I run a filter on my sink and at that point I can't fathom that some people don't use those :D )

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Daym, is it really that bad? How many bottles do you go through a month?(I run a filter on my sink and at that point I can't fathom that some people don't use those :D )
Nowadays we buy 2L bottles, before we used to buy 0.5L bottles, so we went through a huge number lol. Techncially around 65-70 2L bottles per month :rofl:

Edoardo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Aug 31, 2022

Funnily enough, here in Italy the San Pellegrino is just average water.

Edoardo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Aug 31, 2022
Funnily enough, in Europe San Pellegrino is viewed as middle class water, as opposed to the US where only chads drink it lol. Common restaurants, pubs etc serve it almost everywhere in Italy, Switzerland and surruounding countries and it’s relatively cheap.

But yes, Perrier is what the rich here drink for sparkling, and Evian for still. They are also amongst the more expensive. If you go to a luxury hotel in Europe usually you’ll find a bottle of Perrier in there and either Vittel or Evian in the minibar.

When I lived in the UK tap was very popular but I hated it, because it had a high calcium content and often left white streaks on the cutlery / glasses over time.
Nvm, just saw this post :p

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022

Been looking into this for a couple of days since it seems like a good idea. While looking for a local installer, the first company I contacted installs and maintains under the sink RO filters entirely on a rental basis. It's $35 / month for a twelve month contract including filter swaps. They'll remove the system after twelve months (leaving the POU spigot) for cancelled agreements. That actually sounds like a pretty good deal for anyone concerned about water quality and taste.

It's just a data point - not a "this will never work" reaction - in case anyone reads it like that. There's plenty of reasons why prospects might want a one-time installation payment. Ability to pick their own unit, DIY maintenance, upgrades, reducing monthly bills, ownership, etc. There's downsides with the rental business model as well. Cancellations plus the hassle and cost of removing the unit. What do you do with a 12 month old RO filter system?

It was interesting hearing an offer I hadn't considered that now seems obvious after hearing it. Like so many things.:smile:

Now I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to put up a landing page and run some traffic to it. It's been awhile.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.