The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting a business, but... divorce

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

jeje452374

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 6, 2020
New York
Hi. I’m new here and I’m hoping I’m posting this in the right section/category.

I read Fastlane and I’m charged up and ready to get to work. I’m still reading Unscripted and it’s just fueling me up even more. I only have one fear...

After 3 years my marriage has been going south and I recently moved out just to maintain my sanity and control of my own life. I can no longer live with her in peace and I’ve tried everything. I don’t want anything to hold me back, hold back my energy and drive to build a successful business system that a billion people could benefit from but, it would kill me to start, build it and be successful one day only to have it all taken away in a divorce.

Any recommendations/advice? I don’t want to hamper my ambition by waiting months or years for a divorce to be finalized as I fear my ideas may fade as I wait for the wheels of justice to turn. Sitting on my hands could stifle what could be the next best thing.

Feel like I’m idling in a new Bugatti Veyron, but hitting the gas, moving forward or making that turn could cause me to lose it all...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

I read Fastlane and I’m charged up and ready to get to work. I’m still reading Unscripted and it’s just fueling me up even more. I only have one fear...

After 3 years my marriage has been going south and I recently moved out just to maintain my sanity and control of my own life. I can no longer live with her in peace and I’ve tried everything. I don’t want anything to hold me back, hold back my energy and drive to build a successful business system that a billion people could benefit from but, it would kill me to start, build it and be successful one day only to have it all taken away in a divorce.

Any recommendations/advice? I don’t want to hamper my ambition by waiting months or years for a divorce to be finalized as I fear my ideas may fade as I wait for the wheels of justice to turn. Sitting on my hands could stifle what could be the next best thing.

Feel like I’m idling in a new Bugatti Veyron, but hitting the gas, moving forward or making that turn could cause me to lose it all...
Hi @jeje452374 , thanks for sharing.
Yeah, this seems to be in the right section...

TBH, I'm typically against divorces (I'm a kid who came from such a household), but if a relationship is draining you, and not making you a better person- then yeah, by all means, you should start anew.

But I think your conundrum isn't purely because you 'don't want to be held back' though.
If you don't mind clarifying....how exactly has your partner treated you? Perhaps there's more details to look at...

And what do you mean by 'you've tried everything'?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

Sounds like you need legal advice.

Like how to set up a company where you are an employee working for your dad, like how a bankrupt forum member here did.

Things along that line of thought. There can be meaningful actions now and there is no need to wait...like researching on market need or looking at relevant skills you need to learn.

lomb

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jun 11, 2020
Dublin
You can also work on organizing yourself- Setting up a workflow your comfortable with, time you can devote, managing time and productivity. Obviously protecting yourself if you think its over would be wise. Lets say you have a new biz that generates even 2500 a month in profit, a lawyer would likely mulitply that by a multiple of that.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Get a divorce attorney before getting married.

Shoulda got a prenup.

I’ll be getting one someday.

“If we split, what’s in my name is mine. What’s in your name is yours. What’s in our name gets split”.

Put the company and company money in company account and your name owns it, family stuff like the house and personal money should be split, and she can have her own stuff too.

In a divorce, you keep your company.

Look into irrevocable trusts and all that fun stuff

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This thread is nearly 4 years old.

You think he is still treading a bad marriage and hoping for things to change?
You think he pursued a Fastlane, or is he still stuck in a job he hates?
Did anything he read in Unscripted take hold and life shifted to the better?

I'd love to hear the update.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
“If we split, what’s in my name is mine. What’s in your name is yours. What’s in our name gets split”.
Isn’t this sort of the default though? In Europe, whatever you own before the marriage is yours, even in case of divorce. So if you own 2 properties, a company, bla bla, before marriage it remains yours in case of a divorce.

Whatever is ACQUIRED AFTER marriage is split (obviously the growth of your pre-existing company doesn’t count).

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Isn’t this sort of the default though? In Europe, whatever you own before the marriage is yours, even in case of divorce. So if you own 2 properties, a company, bla bla, before marriage it remains yours in case of a divorce.

Whatever is ACQUIRED AFTER marriage is split (obviously the growth of your pre-existing company doesn’t count).
No, more to it.

Divorce rape. Research.

Noyaux

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 15, 2021

in France by default everything is splitted except if you specify it in a contract

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.