The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Should I rent, go travel, buy a home - or something else? (While building a business)

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
May 23, 2011
Hello fastlaners. Having some hard time - would really appreciate your advice.

Recently, I've been shaken from comfort due to landlord's argument with contractors and new neighbors, which broke over my back. I've been told to leave the place I paid for on a 1-day notice (or live in a flat that's under construction!)

Yeah, they can't do that, but I naively thought "the sooner it's started, the sooner it will be finished".

Now contractors spite them by dragging on for weeks, all the while I'm overstaying my welcomes at friend's places.
To add to this, I should be recovering from muscle tearing, not dragging my things around.

So I'm having a "F**k this" moment, and need a solution.

What I came up with:

1) I need to get busy increasing my income asap. It's been growing slow and steady but that won't do now. If I was earning as low as $6-8k/mth, the issue would not exist. I'd rent a really nice place, or even go to a hotel for a month until I figure what next. I'd also be able to finance buying my own place.

So yeah, time to stop tinkering with "just enough", and get busy building a business.

2) While I do this, I need to stay somewhere with decent working conditions. This is where I need your advice or point of view. Should I:

- Look to rent another place. Prices have soared so I'll be paying about 50%-100% more. But if I'm really serious about building a business, that should become chump change rather quickly, right?

- Go travel the world. It's what I always wanted to do anyway. How conductive is it to building a business? Is it a distraction? Or it's irrelevant when you're really focused?

- Look to buy my own place? Almost everyone is telling me to do this. I've been renting for over a decade, could have purchased my own place by now. But is it a slowlane thing to do now, while my income is "just enough"? Isn't it better to invest the monthly pay into ad spend or something else productive? And I could barely afford this, so buying a house that pays itself off is not an option.

- Go on a month long holiday and hope the contractors finish by then. Stay where I am, but work so hard as if I'm homeless and hopefully by the end of the year be able to move wherever I want.

- Another idea that didn't cross my mind?

Thanks for any response.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Patrick Jones

growing
Speedway Pass
Dec 9, 2018
Berlin
"Digital nomad" is the label for those that work remotely while travelling. I did that for 3 years.

Throughout Southeast Asia you have locations like Chiang Mai, Bangkok or Ubud where heaps of them spend their time and you can very easily find co-working spaces and accommodation. Going from one hotspot to the next, you'd be walking on the "digital nomad trail".

Those locations won't give you the most intense travel experience ever, but they are a good starting point because they are so accessible. Once you've got your basic Thai down and bought a local 4G SIM card, you can also prop your laptop up next to a rice paddy in the most remote area of the country.

For a start you just pick any location on the Banana Pancake Trail that provides good working conditions (i.e. not the Full Moon Party on Ko Pha Ngan).

floridaman

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 28, 2018
Orlando, FL
Sounds like an opportunity to turn shit into sugar. I feel like there's certain times in life when you're staring at the open door to traveling long term, going on an adventure. It sounds like life has thrown you one of those opportunities.

What do you do for work? And how old are you? If you work online like I do, and you feel this deep need to see the world and go on a quest, go get it out of your system. I did a month long Euro trip when I hit 30, and it was incredible. I work as a UI/UX designer, and I've been considering working overseas for 6 mo-1 year just because... why not? I want to have that experience.

I know a lot of people will say that you're avoiding life by traveling, it's a waste of time, etc. But I think if you do it right, and you plan it out, it can be REALLY constructive and life changing. I think the major key is to still work and study and stay on top of your game while you're galavanting about.

OP
OP
FastNAwesome

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 23, 2011
What do you do for work?
Internet marketing and web development. So I would like to have my own place to come back to, but yes, other than that I'm a pretty adventurous type. And can work from anywhere with internet.

and you feel this deep need to see the world and go on a quest
I absolutely do, and always think about it. If I was younger, I'd go backpacker style for sure.

But now I'd prefer some more comfort, so I keep postponing it until I'm earning "enough". And also concerned that enjoying travel before my business is established would be like buying a car I can barely afford.

But...since living in my home city is getting expensive anyway, I might just as well do it.

Thank you especially for this - it got me thinking:

Sounds like an opportunity to turn shit into sugar. I feel like there's certain times in life when you're staring at the open door to traveling long term, going on an adventure. It sounds like life has thrown you one of those opportunities.

Last edited:

Patrick Jones

growing
Speedway Pass
Dec 9, 2018
Berlin
But now I'd prefer some more comfort, so I keep postponing it until I'm earning "enough".
A guy from the US once told me: "People back home ask me how I can afford to travel all the time. I tell them I can't afford not to travel."

Southeast Asia is a region where a bowl of steaming hot noodles or a plate of curry will cost you a dollar or less. Granted, you might need 3-4 per day because of the smaller portions, but still, that's your basic food intake covered for $5 a day. And it's good fresh food.

With little effort you'll find a place to stay for under $500 a month. Add on top of that some money for visas, travel and your vice of choice (beer, weed, hookers, ...) and you're still under $1000 a month. What's your current rent?

floridaman

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 28, 2018
Orlando, FL
I always thought one of the attractive things about working online while traveling is the arbitrage opportunity. If you aren't paying rent, car payment, car insurance, utilities, cable, etc etc etc and you could sell a lot of your stuff, while living in a cheap place and making $USD... why the hell not?

Soder

Bronze Contributor
Jan 3, 2019
It is clear that you want to travel and the decision has already been made by your subconscious, or so it seems.

But think about the balance between traveling / working: You can go somewhere and work 100% focus for a while or you can be traveling continuously which will take away the focus of work.

There are incredible sites and very very cheap, ie:

OP
OP
FastNAwesome

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 23, 2011
But think about the balance between traveling / working: You can go somewhere and work 100% focus for a while or you can be traveling continuously which will take away the focus of work.
Thank you, a great point to keep in mind.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
I have zero coding skills whatsoever. Are coding skills needed? Will the be learned in the...
MARKETPLACE How To Create A 100K-1M+ Sales Funnel
@LynX You know, this is a "Marketplace" Thread. Completely appropriate to offer goods and...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
would this be available in paper version? I know it's short, but most of my family is...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock