The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Shopify E-Commerce

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Vitaly the Winne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 4, 2019
California
I recently went through Adrian Morrison's E-Commerce Success Academy course, and realized the potential in creating an e-commerce business. My question for you guys is this: for those who have started an ecommerce business, what's your guys's expected overhead been like, and what is a good amount of money to have set aside for starting and Facebook marketing a general Shopify e-commerce store? I'm absolutely new to this, would love the perspectives of some of you ladies and gents who have some experience in this area.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
I recently went through Adrian Morrison's E-Commerce Success Academy course, and realized the potential in creating an e-commerce business. My question for you guys is this: for those who have started an ecommerce business, what's your guys's expected overhead been like, and what is a good amount of money to have set aside for starting and Facebook marketing a general Shopify e-commerce store? I'm absolutely new to this, would love the perspectives of some of you ladies and gents who have some experience in this area.

Are you selling big ticket stuff? I get about 200 times roi on boosted facebook marketplace ads. $10 in and 4 orders at $500/each, but I'd probably lose my shirt if I was selling shirts.

My business is weird though, and my answers never make sense in a traditional eCommerce sense.

Last edited:

Vitaly the Winne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 4, 2019
California
Are you selling big ticket stuff? I get about 200% roi on boosted facebook marketplace ads. $10 in and 4 orders at $500/each, but I'd probably lose my shirt if I was selling shirts.

My business is weird though, and my answers never make sense in a traditional eCommerce sense.
I forgot to specify, focused on dropshipping with Aliexpress and using some of the resources on Shopify. Do you market white label high ticket items, or a different strategy? And how long have you been in the business?

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
I forgot to specify, focused on dropshipping with Aliexpress and using some of the resources on Shopify. Do you market white label high ticket items, or a different strategy? And how long have you been in the business?
I build and sell my own stuff. Not fastlane, I know, but I'm actually getting there gradually with employees and 1099 contractors. Been at it for about 4-5 years now.

I have very little experience with sourcing and selling shit. Just addon accessories to my own products that I buy off Amazon and basically flip for a small profit.

As near as I can figure, users walterhay and biophase (and I'm sure many more) are the go to guys for that.

Vitaly the Winne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 4, 2019
California
I build and sell my own stuff. Not fastlane, I know, but I'm actually getting there gradually with employees and 1099 contractors. Been at it for about 4-5 years now.

I have very little experience with sourcing and selling shit. Just addon accessories to my own products that I buy off Amazon and basically flip for a small profit.

As near as I can figure, users walterhay and biophase (and I'm sure many more) are the go to guys for that.
Hey, we all start somewhere!

I think that's honestly pretty cool. It sounds like you're not piggybacking off another platform for the lifeline of your business, which is actually a pretty huge advantage as far as ownership of your income stream. And the fact that you have employees and contractors on your payroll means you're leveraging their reosurces and you're more than just a mom and pop operation.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Absolutely impossible to say without knowing the product or industry.

Selling mobile phone jackets is an entirely different world from selling full length closet mirrors.

Vitaly the Winne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 4, 2019
California
Absolutely impossible to say without knowing the product or industry.

Selling mobile phone jackets is an entirely different world from selling full length closet mirrors.
I see your point MJ, I left it a very wide and broad category.

The type of products I had in mind are small, trend following items and knicknacks, basically following the trend of whateever is popular at the moment, and riding it through. I remember you saying in Unscripted that a lot of businesses that focused on trends die out as a result of the trend coming to an end, that's why I figured a general store without having a laser focus on a particular product, so when a particular trend ends, it's just matter of finding the next best thing and marketing that after having the FB analytics and niche specific audiences in place.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
The type of products I had in mind are small, trend following items and knicknacks, basically following the trend of whateever is popular at the moment, and riding it through. I remember you saying in Unscripted that a lot of businesses that focused on trends die out as a result of the trend coming to an end, that's why I figured a general store without having a laser focus on a particular product, so when a particular trend ends, it's just matter of finding the next best thing and marketing that after having the FB analytics and niche specific audiences in place.

Just curious, do you intend to do this kind of trend-chasing business for the long-term, or just a temporary solution to get some money in and learn etc.?

Vitaly the Winne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 4, 2019
California
Just curious, do you intend to do this kind of trend-chasing business for the long-term, or just a temporary solution to get some money in and learn etc.?
Great question. The trend chasing is just to get the basics down and learn firsthand how Facebook ad canpaigns work, and then branch out from there. Trend chasing in the long term definitely doesn't look like a very profitable strategy that will lead to the creation of a brand, if the brand stands for nothing in particular and absolutely everything, it will be easily forgettable.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Great question. The trend chasing is just to get the basics down and learn firsthand how Facebook ad canpaigns work, and then branch out from there. Trend chasing in the long term definitely doesn't look like a very profitable strategy that will lead to the creation of a brand, if the brand stands for nothing in particular and absolutely everything, it will be easily forgettable.

Great, then trends.google.com will be your best friend.....

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
Im currently on a similar path Vitaly, keep us updated on your progress and let me know if you have any more specific questions!

JB92

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 28, 2019

Look for an alternative to Aliexpress if you can, the shipping times are far too long to build up a recurring customer base. Nobody will wait 10-15 days for an item, more than once.

Try and find a local dropshipper in your country. :thumbsup:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.