The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sales/Consulting

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

QLADisciple

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 5, 2014
Has anyone had any luck getting into already-established businesses and providing sales and consulting services solely (or mainly) on a consulting basis?

For example, getting into a business with a plan for success and then executing while the owner goes about their usual day-to-day operations, and then taking a % commission on all additional revenue brought in, or on all costs saved.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser2

you mean providing little value, while over charging for it?

oh, there are people who have done that. I my self have hired several consultants, who end up being a FAR cry from what they SAY they can do....

more like that?
Z

QLADisciple

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 5, 2014
Oops! I meant to say performance basis rather than consulting basis in the OP, but my second paragraph would have given you this impression anyway.

My answer to your post is no. If you make someone $100k and take $20k, both sides are going to be happy. Make sense?

QLADisciple

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 5, 2014
Well I mean employing real simple systems that old-fashioned businesses don't have, like referral systems, reactivating old clients, etc.

QLADisciple

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 5, 2014
Any other thoughts on this? I was thinking about this more for raising startup capital.

QLADisciple

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 5, 2014
I was hoping to hear from people who have got into this themselves... I thought I might be able to hear about how some people got into it, what kind of services they offered, what kinds of firms they targeted... not that I would do exactly the same thing, but I was just interested in other peoples' strategies, their results, the earning potential of different approaches, etc.

It seems like a low-risk way of raising capital, as compared to launching a startup with inventory right from the start. I think making £100K or so in my country would be quicker through service provision than buying and reinvesting in inventory anyway.

NicoleMarie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
May 1, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
I'm actually starting a small one. It's GREAT if you don't have much money to start with I'll tell you that. You do, however, need to basically become an "expert" as best you can (I just used google and youtube, don't tell my customers LOL). I also personally chose something I already know stuff about/have skills in, and luckily was able to find a relatively untapped need to fill from there. I felt that because I was starting with an industry I was already knowledgeable in, it would be easier to find needs, and it was. This may be the reverse of what people are doing on the forum, but it's just my method and it's working well so far.

I'm planning to bring other people in with skills I don't have, and then charging a small referral fee. It's a win-win for everyone.

I'm going to keep making adjustments as needed. Here's my progress thread just for the heck of it. Ignore all the confusing cross outs. :p
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/consulting-painting.52254/

Last edited by a moderator:

QLADisciple

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 5, 2014
Thanks Nicole. I already know about your thread though, I'm talking business consultancy in the more traditional sense. But thanks anyway and keep it up!

NicoleMarie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
May 1, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
Thanks Nicole. I already know about your thread though, I'm talking business consultancy in the more traditional sense. But thanks anyway and keep it up!

No problem and thanks. Hopefully you can still learn at least a little from my experiences, since it somewhat relates. Good luck!

Dark Water

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Mar 25, 2014
Well I mean employing real simple systems that old-fashioned businesses don't have, like referral systems, reactivating old clients, etc.

Yeah, its called outsourced sales.

For example, a number of companies provide direct sales services door-to-door selling potential customers Verizon FiOS. Verizon hires these companies, and gives them residual income/initial commission for each sale made. Then the commission is further broken down in like an MLM type scheme within the outsourced sales company, starting with the manager, assistant manager, to the person making the sale.

So, one is paid based on the new customers that one acquires for the company.

I think its plausible.

Only if you can 100% know which customers you get the company so they can pay you fairly.

Which is why direct sales -> yes.
Consulting -> not so much.

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
The best pay-for-performance you can really do is Lead Generation, it's much more honest than consulting, and people will get what they pay for. Consultants usually prey on intangibles, and are better at selling themselves than moving product.

QLADisciple

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 5, 2014
Thanks guys. I guess it would really just be sales... I agree that "consultants" are generally full of BS. I don't want to be in the business of "advising" but rather getting real results. I just thought marketing myself as a consultant would evoke a broader appeal, as if I'm providing a fuller service than simply making sales. Lead generation sounds interesting but I bet it would be difficult to track with a purely offline business.

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
Technically, I am in the consulting business however labelling myself as a consultant, feels icky because of reason as below :

a) People think consultants are people who are fancy-smancy, come in, destroy the existing structure and revamp it all. People hate change.

b) Most consultants can't do shit. Seriously.

This is why my company's tag line is SO focused on liberation. People need liberation from their annoying financial, marketing and lack of strategy issues and that is where I come in.

What you are offering to do, is good. HOWEVER--you need to be VERY reputable for it. I remember thinking I had landed a client to do that for, turns out he was a spa consultant himself and grilled me in ways that actually hurt. It made me question if I EVER wanted to work with a male spa owner in my life again. He was SUCH a bean counter and I am a person of vision, heart and soul that if it wasn't for him, I would have never really defined my target market down to a tee.

That's results based consulting. Good for the business owner, DANGEROUS for you. Sorry but when I put in hard work to use my brain to come up with bespoke strategy and when the entrepreneur, executes---I expect to be paid. The business owner isn't my child that I need to hand hold. They will work in collaboration with me, however I cannot be held liable for every single last result they did or didn't get.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.