The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Raising $120,000,000 (by direct mail?) Tips? Will post results!

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Bourbons

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Mar 28, 2016
Newcastle, UK
Hey guys,

I'm looking to raise $120,000,000 every 6 months into a Litigation Fund, from people I've never spoken to.

I'm looking at LinkedIn, using a few hundred InMails, and a few hundred hours of sifting through profiles. Easy enough.

My next strategy, which I'm more excited about, is direct mail.

Back story...

I'm associated with a Fund (it funds litigation against banks/insurance companies for a cut of the winnings) which a well respected and wealthy friend of mine has established a few years back.

He's used his own money for some time, made really good returns, through his own network raised circa $50M.

He's offered to pay me a little from the funds side of the profit of anybody I introduce, 5% on the back end once the investor is paid their due.

I've exhausted my immediate relations - have a few guys worth 9 figures (3 of them) who are considering investment, but they'll only likely start with a few mil each. Maybe tens. Maybe none. Not enough to sit back relax on either way.

The fund is getting a really good return, and has great security - and it's recently received it's authorisation (could previously only promote to 'friends and family') so can now be marketed. I think it's a great product, and the owner is well known in Monte Carlo with good reputation.

Back to the point...

I'm putting together a direct mail pack, which I'm going to send to Family Offices and Wealth Management firms, targeting the Chief Investment Officer.

It's a relatively small pool and you only get one shot at first impressions - so it needs to make an impression, and that impression needs to be good!

Things I know about direct mail...

1. Yellow paper works, people pay attention to it
2. Putting something inside that makes the letter an odd shape makes it more likely to be read/spark interest.
3. Money in letters catches attention, even small change.
4. Business card attached works well.
5. Should only push one method of reply, make it simple and low effort - call or email.
6. Give them a reason to reply - don't give them too much info in the first contact.
7. Hand write the envelope.
8. Hand sign the letter.

I'll put the pack together and post it here with photos before sending - feedback really welcome, I know there's a lot of skilled marketeers and copywriters on here!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Interesting. I wonder how it will work out for you!

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
Back story...

I'm associated with a Fund (it funds litigation against banks/insurance companies for a cut of the winnings) which a well respected and wealthy friend of mine has established a few years back.

For the right price an INSIDERS at the very places you aim to sue will be one of your best leads ever.

Last edited:

Bourbons

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Mar 28, 2016
Newcastle, UK
For the right price an INSIDERS at the very places you aim to sue will be one of your best leads ever.
Already have all the cases to use the $120m - investment that's needed. The cases we take are very particular and has a 97% settlement rate thus far.

Always happy to talk though!

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
How much are you willing to pay to acquire a lead?

Bourbons

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Mar 28, 2016
Newcastle, UK
Interesting. I wonder how it will work out for you!
I can't see it going badly, just have to find the family offices then contacts, in that order.

Through LinkedIn have had a 10% engagement rate from InMail - 20 sent with 2 potential investors of $10m+. The time taken in research of potential investors is the main part of the job

Bourbons

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Mar 28, 2016
Newcastle, UK
How much are you willing to pay to acquire a lead?
Depends on the style of lead. Web lead, live transfer, email introduction, physical introduction?

Minimum investment to the fund is $300,000 - and really targeting people who will put in $2m+ at a low end.

Open to suggestions

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Depends on the style of lead. Web lead, live transfer, email introduction, physical introduction?

I am not offering to give you a lead. I am wondering what you are hoping to spend (through direct mail or otherwise) to acquire a lead or prospect?

Bourbons

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Mar 28, 2016
Newcastle, UK
I am not offering to give you a lead. I am wondering what you are hoping to spend (through direct mail or otherwise) to acquire a lead or prospect?
Ah okay!

I think the larger investment will be in time spent researching prospects, perhaps I'll also buy then manually verify some data lists.

I envision the direct mail campaign will cost around £4-5000 for up to a couple of thousand letters.

• I'll be using actual stamps, which are more expensive but more personal.
  • I'll buy nice stationary - good paper etc.
  • Get good business cards printed.
  • May purchase a trinket of some sort to make the letter memorable/quirky.
  • Data may cost a few hundred
The time taken in personalising letters with research from their website where available, identifying the correct person, finding the companies in the first place will be the most impactful thing to my life.

I'll also continue with LinkedIn, which seems to be about $8 per InMail if you buy top ups - so that may take about $4-5000 as well, if not more. I'm on a prospecting list with just 1000 potentials after I've sorted it on LinkedIn - but no doubt I'll think of other job titles etc to widen the search.

I'm going to do whatever I can unless something stops me in the tracks - like the opportunity is taken from me for whatever reason (nothing is ever set in stone until it's over!).

I've got a couple of projects on at the minute which can pay me out 8 figures in the coming couple of years, as well as this one, but wary that the money isn't in the bank and anything can happen between now and then. This seems like a very straight forward project, though, and there's already significant money in play, so it's happening with or without me (hopefully just faster with me)!

Bourbons

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Mar 28, 2016
Newcastle, UK
Ah okay!

I think the larger investment will be in time spent researching prospects, perhaps I'll also buy then manually verify some data lists.

I envision the direct mail campaign will cost around £4-5000 for up to a couple of thousand letters.

• I'll be using actual stamps, which are more expensive but more personal.
  • I'll buy nice stationary - good paper etc.
  • Get good business cards printed.
  • May purchase a trinket of some sort to make the letter memorable/quirky.
  • Data may cost a few hundred
The time taken in personalising letters with research from their website where available, identifying the correct person, finding the companies in the first place will be the most impactful thing to my life.

I'll also continue with LinkedIn, which seems to be about $8 per InMail if you buy top ups - so that may take about $4-5000 as well, if not more. I'm on a prospecting list with just 1000 potentials after I've sorted it on LinkedIn - but no doubt I'll think of other job titles etc to widen the search.

I'm going to do whatever I can unless something stops me in the tracks - like the opportunity is taken from me for whatever reason (nothing is ever set in stone until it's over!).

I've got a couple of projects on at the minute which can pay me out 8 figures in the coming couple of years, as well as this one, but wary that the money isn't in the bank and anything can happen between now and then. This seems like a very straight forward project, though, and there's already significant money in play, so it's happening with or without me (hopefully just faster with me)!
I'm also going to hire at least one copywriter, if not two or three to compare their approaches - so that will cost another £1-2k I imagine..

Bourbons

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Mar 28, 2016
Newcastle, UK
Okay so I've hired the copywriters - not happy.

I'm going handwritten and the letters are far too long for handwriting. I'm going to give it a go myself.

Also decided the "feel" for the letters Will be very old-style, to give the impression of old money/established/timeless as the fund itself is rather new and want to distance ourselves from the start up new fund aspect.

Getting nice old style "wove" paper from GF Smith, having a business card designed that wouldn't be out of place in the American Psycho business card scene, and a matching letterhead.

Finding the data for who to mail is tough, spent £1k on data lists and don't have nearly enough good contacts even for a 250 mail shot yet.

Will post more when I have a final draft of the copy/mailing pack

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.