The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Programmer just quit his job - don't want any new job

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011
At the beginning of this month I quit my job. I'm a full stack developer (JavaScript), but after over 2 years I just couldn't work for the person I did. When I've done it I was like 20kg burden was off me. Just like that. I'm not worried about money now because I'm doing one off project for my family company (modernization of company network) which alone will cover my expenses for at least 4-6 months.

I told my family that I want to take some time off from being employee so I can think what to do next with my life. They asked how long and I said at least one month if not more. Now I know that you can't put number on it and say it will take that much, but let's not divert.

My current situation is like this:
  • I pay almost nothing for where I live (flat belongs to my family and they don't need to earn on me)
  • I live with my girlfriend (which is very low maintenance and very smart - we often spend weekends playing chess or going for a ride outside the city. We just don't like thinking if we can afford something so for now we like to be low profile money wise.)
  • a 30k PLN debt on my credit card (done that years ago to maintain my mobile app that eventually didn't brought any money - yup, that's my all-in bet that didn't went good)
  • if I go back to job I can get 15k PLN/month which after living expenses makes around 13k of disposable income
  • I know very good fellow programmers I can build business with (one is expert in Elixir, other in PHP, yet another in JavaScript).
  • business experience
    • created and owned programmers t-shirt store for around 3 years and sold it with profit - not much, but still didn't loose on it, done some other unsuccessful business ventures - with one of them I even got invited by some serious players in the market
    • had some other ventures (none have really taken off, one was on the main page of polish version of reddit, but in the end the other guy won because he had more friends in that market - craft beer pubs. After 3 years nows my technology is still more advanced than his -_- )
    • I'm now supporting my friend business-wise that creates massive multiplayer game and navigating him through talks with VC that is interested in investing in him
  • more ability to risk
    • I can still get a highly paid job
    • and there are lots of people that won't let me fall just like that (field tested - year, sometimes decade, long friendships. One got me new set of winter tires because I went with him to hospital for 2 hours when he needed me immediately), but that doesn't mean I work any less harder. I want to be able to repay my family for all that time and money they invested in me. Make their dreams come true until their physical conditions allow. I even already got my dad NAD+ pills to reverse (or at least stop) his aging process.
Turns out - I'm in a situation where I will never ever be again:
  • lowest expenses ever (~300 PLN)
  • highly paid skills on hands (15k PLN)
  • supporting environment (priceless)
  • no responsibilities (even more priceless - except credit card debt which is temporary)
so I want to make the best use I can from this. I can work A LOT when I know where I'm heading. Even for that project for my family I took it seriously and working like hell to make sure it's all stable and secure. I just don't slack around.

That's the context. Now why I write all of it?

I want to get back to what I feel is closer to me (even though my dad says I should keep away from this): business, or to be more precise - making money. Years ago I've got my first money of programming by making Android apps with ads in it. I raked around 2k PLN/month back then. Not much, but man it worked and I felt alive. It was adventure on its own!

For me money is an indicator that I've done something right. And because I never hit it big I want this time do everything I can to win with myself and the fastest I can. That's why I'm writing this post because I'm still figuring many things out.

In perfect scenario I'd have a business that is:
  • location-independent (internet based)
  • time-independent (to work on the business and not in the business)
  • + some other offline businesses as well to get to meet smart people (later in the game, probably out of this post scope)
My ideas for that are:
  • create an app that solves some local problem (can't find any idea right now and can't scratch my own itch either)
    • ideally B2C
    • ideally web-based (still, can do mobile as well if something)
  • create a game
  • turn into INSIDERS (yup, TFF INSIDERS - I treat that as an investment. Already got a lot of knowledge from here, but somehow I'm still behind so I'm doing something wrong)
Resources I can use to build:
  • my skills
  • my time
  • people I know from various industries (IT, medicine, logistics, real estate, finance)
Of course I though about B2B SaaS businesses, but I realized that I don't want to do such stuff. I want to be involved with consumer market which reacts almost instantly instead of "We'll think about it an let you know" businesses. It's either good or bad - that will speed up product-market fit so I will save a lot of valuable time and get more adventure vibe. It's also nice to just know that people chose your product not because they needed it (because you solve their problem), but because they wanted it (because it's so nice to have and they want to pay you for providing such value).

What are other venues I might want to peek into? What questions should I ask myself to get closer? I want to start this decade with a kick even though one month already passed. As for now - I already read a lot, but as we know it's action that make results, not only reading.

Any suggestions are highly welcome :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
At the beginning of this month I quit my job. I'm a full stack developer (JavaScript), but after over 2 years I just couldn't work for the person I did. When I've done it I was like 20kg burden was off me. Just like that. I'm not worried about money now because I'm doing one off project for my family company (modernization of company network) which alone will cover my expenses for at least 4-6 months.

I told my family that I want to take some time off from being employee so I can think what to do next with my life. They asked how long and I said at least one month if not more. Now I know that you can't put number on it and say it will take that much, but let's not divert.

My current situation is like this:
  • I pay almost nothing for where I live (flat belongs to my family and they don't need to earn on me)
  • I live with my girlfriend (which is very low maintenance and very smart - we often spend weekends playing chess or going for a ride outside the city. We just don't like thinking if we can afford something so for now we like to be low profile money wise.)
  • a 30k PLN debt on my credit card (done that years ago to maintain my mobile app that eventually didn't brought any money - yup, that's my all-in bet that didn't went good)
  • if I go back to job I can get 15k PLN/month which after living expenses makes around 13k of disposable income
  • I know very good fellow programmers I can build business with (one is expert in Elixir, other in PHP, yet another in JavaScript).
  • business experience
    • created and owned programmers t-shirt store for around 3 years and sold it with profit - not much, but still didn't loose on it, done some other unsuccessful business ventures - with one of them I even got invited by some serious players in the market
    • had some other ventures (none have really taken off, one was on the main page of polish version of reddit, but in the end the other guy won because he had more friends in that market - craft beer pubs. After 3 years nows my technology is still more advanced than his -_- )
    • I'm now supporting my friend business-wise that creates massive multiplayer game and navigating him through talks with VC that is interested in investing in him
  • more ability to risk
    • I can still get a highly paid job
    • and there are lots of people that won't let me fall just like that (field tested - year, sometimes decade, long friendships. One got me new set of winter tires because I went with him to hospital for 2 hours when he needed me immediately), but that doesn't mean I work any less harder. I want to be able to repay my family for all that time and money they invested in me. Make their dreams come true until their physical conditions allow. I even already got my dad NAD+ pills to reverse (or at least stop) his aging process.
Turns out - I'm in a situation where I will never ever be again:
  • lowest expenses ever (~300 PLN)
  • highly paid skills on hands (15k PLN)
  • supporting environment (priceless)
  • no responsibilities (even more priceless - except credit card debt which is temporary)
so I want to make the best use I can from this. I can work A LOT when I know where I'm heading. Even for that project for my family I took it seriously and working like hell to make sure it's all stable and secure. I just don't slack around.

That's the context. Now why I write all of it?

I want to get back to what I feel is closer to me (even though my dad says I should keep away from this): business, or to be more precise - making money. Years ago I've got my first money of programming by making Android apps with ads in it. I raked around 2k PLN/month back then. Not much, but man it worked and I felt alive. It was adventure on its own!

For me money is an indicator that I've done something right. And because I never hit it big I want this time do everything I can to win with myself and the fastest I can. That's why I'm writing this post because I'm still figuring many things out.

In perfect scenario I'd have a business that is:
  • location-independent (internet based)
  • time-independent (to work on the business and not in the business)
  • + some other offline businesses as well to get to meet smart people (later in the game, probably out of this post scope)
My ideas for that are:
  • create an app that solves some local problem (can't find any idea right now and can't scratch my own itch either)
    • ideally B2C
    • ideally web-based (still, can do mobile as well if something)
  • create a game
  • turn into INSIDERS (yup, TFF INSIDERS - I treat that as an investment. Already got a lot of knowledge from here, but somehow I'm still behind so I'm doing something wrong)
Resources I can use to build:
  • my skills
  • my time
  • people I know from various industries (IT, medicine, logistics, real estate, finance)
Of course I though about B2B SaaS businesses, but I realized that I don't want to do such stuff. I want to be involved with consumer market which reacts almost instantly instead of "We'll think about it an let you know" businesses. It's either good or bad - that will speed up product-market fit so I will save a lot of valuable time and get more adventure vibe. It's also nice to just know that people chose your product not because they needed it (because you solve their problem), but because they wanted it (because it's so nice to have and they want to pay you for providing such value).

What are other venues I might want to peek into? What questions should I ask myself to get closer? I want to start this decade with a kick even though one month already passed. As for now - I already read a lot, but as we know it's action that make results, not only reading.

Any suggestions are highly welcome :)

Congrats on your considerable skills and experience.

You don't need any advice. You could give a lot of people here advice.

I'd suggest to backtrack. I always liked the T-Shirt biz because it can be on auto-pilot. You've already done that - so do it again. This time scale it bigger and better. Do multiple variations on it. You could pick niche markets - cats - dogs - babies - cars - on and on.

On the side, work on your real money maker - apps. 100K a day? You have your gold mine right in front of you. You don't even have to invent something new. Find a half dozen apps that are not optimized and redo them to be super apps. No need to figure things out from scratch.

You have everything you need to be super successful. After you take a breather, focus and build your empire - one piece at a time. When you have a big bank account, buy a biz that makes money day in and day out, whether you are there or not. Need ideas? Drive down a busy street for a half-mile. Write down every business that is busy, no matter how simple it may be. A gas station, for example, would be a good example. Get one, or two, or three. You'll be set for life. Don't make things more complicated than they have to be. A donut shop. A fast-food joint. These are not genius jobs, but someone is doing them and someone is making good money at it. Don't limit yourself.

Good luck and thanks for the interesting and enlightening post!

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011
Congrats on your considerable skills and experience.

You don't need any advice. You could give a lot of people here advice.

I'd suggest to backtrack. I always liked the T-Shirt biz because it can be on auto-pilot. You've already done that - so do it again. This time scale it bigger and better. Do multiple variations on it. You could pick niche markets - cats - dogs - babies - cars - on and on.

On the side, work on your real money maker - apps. 100K a day? You have your gold mine right in front of you. You don't even have to invent something new. Find a half dozen apps that are not optimized and redo them to be super apps. No need to figure things out from scratch.

You have everything you need to be super successful. After you take a breather, focus and build your empire - one piece at a time. When you have a big bank account, buy a biz that makes money day in and day out, whether you are there or not. Need ideas? Drive down a busy street for a half-mile. Write down every business that is busy, no matter how simple it may be. A gas station, for example, would be a good example. Get one, or two, or three. You'll be set for life. Don't make things more complicated than they have to be. A donut shop. A fast-food joint. These are not genius jobs, but someone is doing them and someone is making good money at it. Don't limit yourself.

Good luck and thanks for the interesting and enlightening post!

Wow, thanks! For sure I didn't expect that :blush:

Yes, indeed I can backtrack to t-shirts. My brother has 4 cats so I guess that might be might next niche (or cars - then I'm the market). Same with apps. Those two will keep me busy for sure.

Lots of nuggets in one post. Gonna use them!

Kingsta

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Dec 6, 2014
Wow, thanks! For sure I didn't expect that :blush:

Yes, indeed I can backtrack to t-shirts. My brother has 4 cats so I guess that might be might next niche (or cars - then I'm the market). Same with apps. Those two will keep me busy for sure.

Lots of nuggets in one post. Gonna use them!

Hey man,

I have a huge gaming audience (tens of thousands) as well as being actively involved in esports. Would love to talk about doing potentially partnering on something along the Slither.io or Zombs.io lines if thats of interest.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Smuggo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 13, 2018
Good to hear that you had a few successes already.

If you don't mind me asking for how long have you been developer? I'm currently working as a Java Dev (and been doing it for 2.5 years) but my max payment is like 7500 PLN gross/mth and kinda can't get higher for now. o_O

SeanLewis

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Aug 7, 2019
Sweden

If you don't mind me asking for how long have you been developer? I'm currently working as a Java Dev (and been doing it for 2.5 years) but my max payment is like 7500 PLN gross/mth and kinda can't get higher for now. o_O

Isn't Poland known for having super low wages for devs?

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011
Hey man,

I have a huge gaming audience (tens of thousands) as well as being actively involved in esports. Would love to talk about doing potentially partnering on something along the Slither.io or Zombs.io lines if thats of interest.

I'm on the idea phase right now, but I can have a deal for you - my friend is close to release his moba/battle royal game. Let's talk privately.

I been for 7 years now, but now I see that your wage is also based on how much you ask. Programmers has this problem of asking for more. My friend that is also a programmer (15 years of exp) once was involved in recruitment and he said that the best guys didn't earn the best. Those most audacious did.

Look for another job that pays more. You have job so you don't need to rush and accept first offer. I think you can go for 9-10k as for now. Remember that it's still employee market. Look at LinkedIn if you already don't have offers hanging ;)

Isn't Poland known for having super low wages for devs?

Yeah, because we have lower purchasing power we are outsourcing force. That's why western countries hire us - value for money is here.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.