The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My first business failed but this is what I've learned.

Joa.Tra

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Sep 1, 2021
Hey. I'm Joanna. My first e-commerce business failed. Here's what I learned along the way.
From the beginning I want to thank Mj, but also the whole community.
For the motivation you guys give me. For showing me that if you put your energy and soul into building a business, you can do it. Simply for being a community that truly helps each other.

1. Always listen to your customers. Always. I came up with an idea (subscription boxes for dog owners). My customers said they wanted boxes for cat owners, but I kept focusing on dog owners. That's just silly. I know.
2) If you choose a co-founder, choose wisely. I chose my (ex) friend as co-founder. And it was a mistake. Your personal relationship with someone can be great, but when it comes to business. It can be very different. My ex friend had only one goal. How to make money fast, instead of How can I grow our business. What skills I need to learn to make it happen. Our counterintuitive approach to business turned into a disaster and a struggle that was completely unnecessary. If I hadn't been so naive.
3: Vision is great. Vision is something that should fire you up. But living only a vision without a good plan for execute is nothing.

Btw. I am 20 years old. Now my plan is completely different. I live with my parents. That means I don't have to pay rent. I have a new job. I am saving money to start a new business. My first failed business taught me a lot not only about business, but also about relationships. I'm responsible for everything that has happened to me.
Now it's time to bounce back from the bottom and start over.
I hope my post has helped someone who is also going through a similar situation as me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thanks Joanna for sharing your wisdom in failure. Agree with all of it. Best wishes on your next venture.

TK21

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Feb 9, 2022
Good luck Joanna! I hope you'll do better on your next move!

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
How to make money fast, instead of How can I grow our business.
It really takes the fun out of it. When you only made $5 on a sale and you’re in it for the short term you’re pretty disappointed. But when you think long term, any sale = progress.

You’re young. Many other failures will come along the way. Embrace them and move on to the next.

Welcome to the forum.

Joa.Tra

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Sep 1, 2021
It really takes the fun out of it. When you only made $5 on a sale and you’re in it for the short term you’re pretty disappointed. But when you think long term, any sale = progress.

You’re young. Many other failures will come along the way. Embrace them and move on to the next.

Welcome to the forum.
Yes,exactly. My new strategy is make money and reinvest in business. After x amount of time I'll can see money in my bank account.

Joa.Tra

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Sep 1, 2021
Thanks Joanna for sharing your wisdom in failure. Agree with all of it. Best wishes on your next venture.
Thank you, MJ. When I think about failure. I think of it as worthwhile. Of course I lost money, energy, etc. But the best lesson comes from experience.

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
Thank you for sharing Joanna
My first e-commerce business failed. Here's what I learned along the way.
Knowing what not to do can be as powerful as knowing what to do, I'm impressed with your not giving up attitude and your willingness to learn from the past and move on.

All the best with your next venture.

Joa.Tra

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Sep 1, 2021
Thank you for sharing Joanna

Knowing what not to do can be as powerful as knowing what to do, I'm impressed with your not giving up attitude and your willingness to learn from the past and move on.

All the best with your next venture.
Thank you :) This failure makes me more fired up to achieve success. I hope your venture doing well :).

Shubham Hire

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Mar 4, 2022
Thank you for sharing this with us Joanna, what's the best thing is that you learnt from your failure and that's very important for all of us. Wishing you a best of luck for your future projects ❤

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...