The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A year and a half to the first sale - what I've learned...

Anything related to matters of the mind

Temerity

Purveyor of Fine Mouthwash Goods
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Oct 23, 2013
Boston
From the day I created the name for my business to my first sale took almost 18 months of non-stop work, delays, disappointments, and realizations. I'll share some of those in this thread which I'll treat as a diary to help myself and others.

One of the most important things I've realized - if you are going it alone like I have (and still am), it takes much, much longer, and requires far more energy, patience and tolerance for bullshit than most folks are ready for. You read about it in self-development books - persistence, consistency, determination... the supposed pillars of a successful individual.

But these are just words when you are in the thick of it. Oftentimes, while confronted with an issue I hadn't foreseen, I won't be thinking "Well, XYZ Self-Improvement Book said this", I'll be thinking "Jesus, wth do I do now??"

I don't think anyone can truly understand the value of emotional resilience unless they've been thoroughly tested by unexpected situations that arise from starting, funding and maintaining a business all on your own. It takes far more work and dedication than I ever realized, even though I may have read about it in books and self-development courses.

Aside from a couple of designers, a website developer, and the third party which assembled my product, I did everything. I'll go into it in future posts.

Not an easy path for me, and while the amount wasn't very much at all, I did make my first sale just a couple of weeks ago. If I can get one sale, I can get 10,000.

Right now, I'm in the marketing phase and I realize I have a lot to learn, or put more bluntly - I have no idea what I'm doing.

I don't see that as a bad thing, just an indicator of skills I need to acquire.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make a thriving online retail website, let me know. I sell an old-fashioned mouth rinse powder - truly nothing else like it on the market.

Will follow up with developments I hope will help others out.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
Congrats on your first sale. You're no longer an entrepreneurial virgin.

You said you have an online store. My core piece of advice is to not have that restrict you from engaging with your market offline. And even if you have been hustling in person, there are likely other avenues and lanes you've overlooked. One day, after enough time has elapsed, they'll reveal themselves to you and you'll think to yourself:

"How am I just now realizing this"

But it's all part of the journey.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!