The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MJ Books paralyzed me... and I don't know why!

UnscriptedToBe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Nov 9, 2021
Hello to all,

I am new to this forum, just arrived.

I discovered this forum from MJ's books, which were suggested to me by a trainer I respect very much.

I have already read Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted . Now I'm approaching “The Great Rat Race Escape ”, where I'm already in chapter 17.

I think I understand the concepts expressed in the books, the CENTS principles and MJ's philosophy, on which I absolutely agree.

However, the deeper I get into MJ's books, the more I'm stuck in some kind of analysis paralysis. Stuck at the idea of not being able to do the right thing, stuck with the idea that throwing myself on a project makes me miss another train that maybe is the right one. Stuck by the lack of time I have to live my life...

I'll explain better...

I am 35 years old, two jobs and three boundless passions:

- Personal growth
- Marketing
- Copywriting.

In one of these jobs I am an "almost-manager" of an international forwarding group.

In the other, I am a freelance copywriter. With an immense passion for reading and learning everything related to mental manipulation (for a good purpose), learning and teaching.

I feel that teaching, "leaving something to posterity" is my personal mission.

But I get stuck, thinking that the world is full of copywriting and marketing “explanators”.

Today, anyone comes up with two web pages boasting of wanting to "explain" marketing or "help entrepreneurs". I know there is a lot of shit out there, but I don't want to throw myself into a market where there is no longer a need for other teachers.

Put simply, I'm a very straightforward marketer, working to generate leads to their customers, nothing more, nothing less.

I've never written books, a tool I see also suggests MJ as a First-Order Specialized unit, after obviously creating the right audience.

But I've never approached it because, again, the world is full of marketing and copywriting books. And it would be the umpteenth thrown there, in the cauldron of self publishing, drowned in the trillions of more or less disgusting texts on the subject.

Combine the two jobs? I've already thought about it. A marketer in the international forwarder niche does not exist. But simply because it is not possible to apply the principles of marketing to such a commodity.

So my question for you is ...

How can I start to draw my future? What you should do in my shoes?
And, especially, how do you "connect the dots" to find a list of potentially validating ideas for creating a fastlane business?

Thanks to those who want to answer me!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK

- Personal growth
- Marketing
- Copywriting.

Since they happen to be your passions and also industries where anyone can make a lot of money, are you any good in any of those?

There’s your answer.

What other ‘train’ are you expecting?

Enough with the “innovation” and board a train already running.

Tivako

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 19, 2020
Don't wait to get on a train. Trains carry a lot of people most of the time. BE the train.
Just start DOING things and make mistakes. You'll learn from them.

UnscriptedToBe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Nov 9, 2021
Since they happen to be your passions and also industries where anyone can make a lot of money, are you any good in any of those?

There’s your answer.

What other ‘train’ are you expecting?

Enough with the “innovation” and board a train already running.

I'm passionate. I don't know if I'm good.
I know that they are niches where anyone can make a lot of money, but is full of "fake-coach" out there. All these 3 niches are full of scammers and have a very high percentage of competitors. Exactly what MJ recommend to avoid...

Precisely because of this I'm paralyzed reading MJ's books. Because I know I can be in niches that do not match with CENTS rule from MJ...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm passionate. I don't know if I'm good.
I know that they are niches where anyone can make a lot of money, but is full of "fake-coach" out there. All these 3 niches are full of scammers and have a very high percentage of competitors. Exactly what MJ recommend to avoid...

Precisely because of this I'm paralyzed reading MJ's books. Because I know I can be in niches that do not match with CENTS rule from MJ...

You're falling for one of my newest terms, The Olympic Fallacy.

Someone who hasn't learned how to swim, shouldn't be talking about competing in the Olympics.

Learn how to swim first, things will become clearer the more you do it.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

Someone who hasn't learned how to swim, shouldn't be talking about competing in the Olympics.

This may be a new favourite.

UnscriptedToBe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Nov 9, 2021

Thanks MJ!

My question is: I don't know how to swim. But I cannot learn by myself. I need a trainer.
But if you search for a mentor in business, 99,9% are self-declared gurus that want to sell a course to "help you make biz"

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
Thanks MJ!

My question is: I don't know how to swim. But I cannot learn by myself. I need a trainer.
But if you search for a mentor in business, 99,9% are self-declared gurus that want to sell a course to "help you make biz"
Maybe jump on the water (make sure is not deep enough to kill yourself) and start learning. Once you know the basics, you jump on deeper waters and keep learning.

In other words: do something! You don't need a mentor to start learning business.

fastlaner_1992

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Nov 8, 2018
Hello to all,

I am new to this forum, just arrived.

I discovered this forum from MJ's books, which were suggested to me by a trainer I respect very much.

I have already read Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted . Now I'm approaching “The Great Rat Race Escape ”, where I'm already in chapter 17.

I think I understand the concepts expressed in the books, the CENTS principles and MJ's philosophy, on which I absolutely agree.

However, the deeper I get into MJ's books, the more I'm stuck in some kind of analysis paralysis. Stuck at the idea of not being able to do the right thing, stuck with the idea that throwing myself on a project makes me miss another train that maybe is the right one. Stuck by the lack of time I have to live my life...

I'll explain better...

I am 35 years old, two jobs and three boundless passions:

- Personal growth
- Marketing
- Copywriting.

In one of these jobs I am an "almost-manager" of an international forwarding group.

In the other, I am a freelance copywriter. With an immense passion for reading and learning everything related to mental manipulation (for a good purpose), learning and teaching.

I feel that teaching, "leaving something to posterity" is my personal mission.

But I get stuck, thinking that the world is full of copywriting and marketing “explanators”.

Today, anyone comes up with two web pages boasting of wanting to "explain" marketing or "help entrepreneurs". I know there is a lot of shit out there, but I don't want to throw myself into a market where there is no longer a need for other teachers.

Put simply, I'm a very straightforward marketer, working to generate leads to their customers, nothing more, nothing less.

I've never written books, a tool I see also suggests MJ as a First-Order Specialized unit, after obviously creating the right audience.

But I've never approached it because, again, the world is full of marketing and copywriting books. And it would be the umpteenth thrown there, in the cauldron of self publishing, drowned in the trillions of more or less disgusting texts on the subject.

Combine the two jobs? I've already thought about it. A marketer in the international forwarder niche does not exist. But simply because it is not possible to apply the principles of marketing to such a commodity.

And, especially, how do you "connect the dots" to find a list of potentially validating ideas for creating a fastlane business?

Thanks to those who want to answer me!
You sound very logical and analytic, so it probably doesn't help if you don't map things out and simplify you trajectory.

Learn to let go of controlling each and every aspect and fall in love with your process.

I look at it like this right, once you're big enough you create your own market - so there's always a need.

We need to be flying before we can choose which mountain we want to perch on top of.

But to get there instead of looking at what we should do, we should just "do" and then by doing we find momentum and that momentum will get us flying.

Look at top entrepreneurs in the space what do they do? They build their mindsets, build businesses and then transfer that knowledge.

Mindset > Business > Teaching

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Get started. Today.

To go further .... pick 3 potential paths, start the process going for all 3 (send the email, order the kit, do the research on product, etc.). start making calls on 1 of them starting Monday and see what resonates.

You got this. Stop reading shit, stay off the forum, WORK for your future. Report back in one week.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
Thanks MJ!

You don’t have to reinvent the wheel, you just need to execute better than existing businesses and skew more value.

For example, let’s say there’s a couple of local businesses that sell a lot of high-ticket landscaping.

A: The massive company everyone knows:
  • Does good work but very pricey due to huge ad budget
  • Not flexible with scheduling
  • Demands all money upfront
B: Great service but no marketing
  • Very prompt to answer
  • Excellent employees
  • Only has a facebook page they post once in a while to

C: Been in business forever and run by son
  • Hard to get a hold of for customer service
  • Has bad reviews
  • has sketchy employees
  • Website is fancy but has a bunch of useless shit to puff up company/son ego

So what a Someone would do is read the bad reviews, address them to stand out. They’d also reverse engineer each of these businesses. They would copy the basics and focus on a few value skews they think are most important.

Along the way they’d get feedback they didn’t consider from customer complaints and suggestions. It would also come from failures.

Once they are getting repeat business they’d look at how to make the services they offer easy to replicate. They’d hire it out and invest in the equipment and software they need.

Over time they’d engineer their business to make sense.
  • Control: multiple sources of customers, own website, phone number, equipment, etc
  • Entry: Skillsets that are discovered by themselves, branding, specific Equipment. Also should have more effective execution when it comes to marketing and following through on promises.
  • Need: Addresses pains and goals of customers more easily than others through trial and error. (Evidenced by repeat customers and referrals)
  • Time: Software, equipment and employees to cut the most time consuming parts away
  • Scale: Has high margins and can train people to do the job for them.
Even a local landscaping business can be developed into a Fastlane enterprise. There is no need for a coach.

Last edited:

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
Could you become your own best customer to learn what's effective?

If you are your own customer, you'll actually see what makes money and what doesn't and what you can do to any of your low performing copy to improve it. (Whew, I put a lot of you in that sentence. Copywriters like that.)

You might considering selling something on ebay or Amazon. Can you find or create a product, other than how to write copy, that you can sell on either platform? Create more opportunities to write and validate what you know by selling for yourself and others.

There are a lot of book and other product descriptions (which is copy) on Amazon that are horribly written. A copywriter could get a lot of practical experience writing for his own products or for other people's products and create a service doing it.

Or are there other services you could offer for yourself to build your skill?

So since you're an almost manager at an import forwarder, could you start your own forwarding company and write copy for it?

I could be wrong, but I would bet good money that there is a higher barrier of entry and a lot fewer people flooding into the forwarding business than the copywriting business.

When I was on youtube this morning, I saw a free copywriting course on youtube. Copywriting is everywhere.

If copywriting is your passion, then being a working copywriter or using it for your own good is probably high on your list without teaching. So deferring teaching until you have more experience shouldn't be a problem. Just find every opportunity to write.

UnscriptedToBe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Nov 9, 2021
Non devi reinventare la ruota, devi solo eseguire meglio delle attività esistenti e distorcere più valore.

Ad esempio, supponiamo che ci siano un paio di attività commerciali locali che vendono un sacco di paesaggi di alto livello.

A: La grande azienda che tutti conoscono:
  • Funziona bene ma è molto costoso a causa dell'enorme budget pubblicitario
  • Non flessibile con la pianificazione
  • Richiede tutti i soldi in anticipo
B: Ottimo servizio ma niente marketing
  • Molto pronto a rispondere
  • Dipendenti eccellenti
  • Ha solo una pagina Facebook su cui pubblicano di tanto in tanto

C: Sono in affari da sempre e sono gestito da un figlio
  • Difficile da contattare per il servizio clienti
  • Ha recensioni negative
  • ha dipendenti imprecisi
  • Il sito web è elegante ma ha un mucchio di merda inutile per gonfiare l'ego della compagnia/figlio

Quindi quello che farebbe un Qualcuno è leggere le recensioni negative, affrontarle per distinguersi. Avrebbero anche decodificato ciascuna di queste attività. Copiano le basi e si concentrano su alcune differenze di valore che ritengono più importanti.

Lungo la strada ricevevano feedback che non consideravano dai reclami e dai suggerimenti dei clienti. Verrebbe anche da fallimenti.

Una volta che ottengono affari ripetuti, vedrebbero come rendere i servizi che offrono facili da replicare. Lo affittano e investono nell'attrezzatura e nel software di cui hanno bisogno.

Nel corso del tempo avrebbero progettato la loro attività per avere un senso.
  • Controllo: più fonti di clienti, proprio sito web, numero di telefono, attrezzatura, ecc
  • Voce: set di abilità che vengono scoperti da soli, marchio, equipaggiamento specifico. Inoltre, dovrebbe avere un'esecuzione più efficace quando si tratta di marketing e di mantenere le promesse.
  • Necessità: affronta i problemi e gli obiettivi dei clienti più facilmente di altri attraverso tentativi ed errori. (Evidenziato da clienti abituali e referral)
  • Tempo: software, attrezzature e dipendenti per eliminare le parti che richiedono più tempo
  • Scala: ha margini elevati e può formare le persone a svolgere il lavoro per loro.
Anche un'attività paesaggistica locale può essere trasformata in un'impresa Fastlane. Non c'è bisogno di un allenatore.

Ok è chiaro.

Ma, se ci pensi, è pieno di concorrenti sul marketing/marketing digitale e sul copywriting.

È pieno di promesse per "ottenere più clienti" "per fare più soldi" "per aumentare le entrate". È estremamente difficile differenziarsi: tutti, con un laptop, possono "aiutare" a migliorare gli affari.

Sono seriamente preoccupato per la mia capacità di trovare problemi da risolvere: non riesco a trovarli e non ho, ad esempio, capacità di codifica per creare un software che possa aiutare.

Puoi dire: "Inizia a imparare a programmare". La verità è che io non ho tempo: ho due posti di lavoro, e quello principale, direttore di spedizioni internazionali, occupa almeno 10/12 ore al giorno ...

I feel myself really trapped...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...