The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lots of questions about sales research and design

Idea threads

VZM

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Oct 26, 2022
Toronto, Ontario
Hello once again! (this is my second post here).

Warning! this post might end up being long...

I always toss around random ideas, some seem interesting, others might be kinda junky... Nonetheless, all these ideas end up getting tossed in the dumpster as a ridiculous proposition. I want to change that.

A little context: I do a very part time what I call hobbybusiness. Its very growable, but growing very slow, and doesn't keep me occupied. Its a hobby that started making money. I did learn a lot of stuff like customs brokerage and logistics from it though. Also I learned (the hard way) that you need to check if your product will sell before investing in it. I think that is why I have slow growth in my hobbybusiness. I invested a ton of money (like around 30k) and it got hung up... not good. Will know better next time! I ended up coding a program that finds particular products in my market that actually sell, so hopefully I will do better soon. Right now, I have lots of spare time that I can use in a useful way, so I am thinking its time to get those ideas pulled out of the dumpster. I want to do this project not to make money really (although I wouldn't mind some $$$ either :hilarious: ) but to learn how to start up a business and go through all the processes needed to fill my mental toolbox. This is for when I come up with a really NICE idea, then I can handle it like a b0ss.

The ideas: Mostly I come up with consumer product ideas. Usually I am doing something around the house and then I run into a problem that needs solving. I then think about if a lot of people have the same problem or not. If yes, then idea +1. For example: I was carrying heavy full shopping bags from the car into the house. No hands to open the door. There is the problem. I then tried opening the door with my knee and dropped everything, making the problem worse! I haven't thought of a solution yet for this one though. Recently, I came across another problem. I can't tell what it is until I have the questions below answered. All I can say is that it is targeted at anyone who has a device such as a laptop, tablet, or phone (basically anyone).

My problem: How the heck do I find out if someone will buy my stuff? I don't want to cut corners here, especially with the bad experience I had earlier. I thought about going to every single mcdonalds and posting a survey, but whoever really fills those out? I just usually walk past and never look at those advertising boards. I thought about maybe incentivizing by like saying "fill out the survey and win a FREE apple watch" or something like that... thoughts? The other problem with this I I won't be getting a random sample. It will only be people who go to mcdonalds. Finally, it will only be people who live in my area, again not a random sample. I really need some advice on how to thoroughly check if, and who, will buy my product. I also looked hard at surveymonkey, but they want $1k in order to have 500 responses! No way! Maybe going to big-box store (which is where the product is intended to be sold) reps and getting their opinions?

Problem 2: The product is quite simple. Both good and bad. Simple as in simple to design, bad as in easy for any more established manufacturer or person more experienced than me to rip it out of my hands. Is there any way, perhaps with a patent or something, to make sure that no one copies it and knocks me out? Is there any risk that during the market research phase someone find out and steals it? Im really paranoid about this; and I would have posted the idea here, except what if someone steals it? Especially if I go to a store rep and they just decide to do it themselves. I get it, it could look cool to me but for everyone else be utter junk, but that is the whole point in finding out if it will sell before pushing the spend button.

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Matt Lee

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Aug 9, 2022
How the heck do I find out if someone will buy my stuff?
You don't know for sure until you test the water. Here's a great thread to read about validating ideas.

GOLD! - IDEA - The great way of testing any idea!

There's also a good thread on here by JasonR, I don't remember the thread's name but in one of his post, he wrote something similar to: your close friends, gurus, or people around you may not be your targetted audience. So don't give up on the product just because people tell you it won't work. Those people might not be the one having pain points that your product solve.

Find a way to reach out to your ideal audience more effectively and precisely. Paid Aids?
Is there any risk that during the market research phase someone find out and steals it

It would help your conscience and mind if you weren't too afraid of people stealing your ideas. Chances are, the longer you wait and "research", the longer you put off doing anything about the concept. Don't get me wrong, do your due diligence, but don't be afraid of "competition". Most of the time, competition is just an excuse to not execute on an idea after you thoroughly research it.

Someone else probably has or has had the idea but never acted on it. Plus, if you value your idea so much but fail with your process, someone else can easily out-execute you. Copycats are a part of the game, just know they can't outdo you if you're serious enough about creating a great product.

VZM

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Oct 26, 2022
Toronto, Ontario
Matt, thanks for your reply!

I have finished reading the fastlane and I feel a bit of a dummy now... Especially where MJ says he doesn't give a crap about my ideas :rofl:. There was the answer... I will just put on the big boy pants and throw it out here to see what you all think. It might give me a tiny bit of much needed feedback. If anything happens I have a bunch more ideas in my idea sack. (but pls don't take this one :playful:) Ive been also going through it from a cents perspective, and it doesn't seem to bad.

So, here we go. The main issue where I am a little iffy is need, and I have yet to validate that. Other things seem pretty good. Here is the problem: Try lying down on your back, on the sofa and watching a movie with your laptop. You could put it on the coffee table, but then you have one ear plugged and you are watching things sideways. Not fun. Heck, try typing something! Nope. You could get one of those legged giant ugly bulky table thingys that stand on the sofa cushions but if you barely budge then your $1k laptop is hurtling to the floor. Let alone the fact those things are wide and might not fit at all. Now try with an ipad. Or a phone. Same thing.

Simple idea: Its literally a flat laptop holder with a hook on the bottom so the laptop doesn't slide down. The top is curved so you put your knees up and hook your laptop on so it doesn't slide down. No giant bulky thing that you need a 6 ton crane to lift just to go grab another beer. And both ears that you can listen to a movie with. Super simple. (I am now making a cad model of it)

Cents wise:
Control: I am thinking I will go with something like this: CM>Shipping company>Fulfillment house>Amazon/wally world/etc. If a CM or shipping company or fulfillment house decides to dump me I can easily find another. I can also sell in different places. Seems good.

Entry: Average lazy Joe will not bother to find a CM, create designs, figure out logistics etc. I think the business type lends itself to satisfying this condition by itself. Seems good.

Need: This is basically the thing preventing me from pushing the full-send button. Working on this.

Time: Once I have this set up, the idea is I will need to contribute my time for expansion, very little for maintenance. Seems good. If this one gets out of control I will probably dump the business and try something else.

Scale: This one gets me excited. When I think of ideas, I don't think one, I try to think of a whole line of products, so when I get one going, I can add more and scale up. Seems good.

What do y'all think?
Damn... another long post!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.