The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lead Generation in Maine Hunting/Fishing Guides

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I was PM'ing with mtman several months ago about doing lead gen and finding clients for hunting/fishing guides in Maine.

The basic discussion was that Mainers in this industry have no clue how to market themselves and since I am currently in the industry online I get tons of people emailing me and asking me if I know any good guide services in Maine. I usually just point them to a couple places and wish them luck. Now I kick myself for not seeing the opportunity. Why not get into lead gen for this?

Now I know this guy who did this sort of business and he was down in Mississippi but he tried to hook people up from all over the country. His business suffered and I am not sure if it was the wrong approach, poor business etc.

He would contact guides from all over and work a deal that if he could find them clients he would get a fee. From what I remember the reason he suffered was he charged 10% from the guide. In other words the guide was paying the fee and it seemed too high for them. They liked the clients but after paying out the 10% it wasn't always worth it for them since they have expenses.

So how do you think I could approach this? I thought I could target local businesses within my state and then as things grow I can move into other states etc.

Also, we are partnering with another company who can really help us expand our blog network. I am sure I can use the blog network to expand my lead gen biz. If someone is an expert in this I would be more than happy to find a way to partner in this endeavor.

But I wanted to raise this topic since it seems to be discussed a lot here and would love to hear what others have for input.

Thanks in advance!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

michael

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
There is a few members here with lead gen biz experience from both sides of the biz (site operator and client perspectives). Keep in mind I have neither so I can't offer too much advice but at the least I will bump this thread for you :D.

The basic discussion was that Mainers in this industry have no clue how to market themselves and since I am currently in the industry online I get tons of people emailing me and asking me if I know any good guide services in Maine. I usually just point them to a couple places and wish them luck. Now I kick myself for not seeing the opportunity. Why not get into lead gen for this?

I just googled 'Maine fishing' and 'Maine fishing guides' and there is a few directories to help me find guides and stores but none can be searched, none feature photos or descriptions and none can be contacted via the listing site the current sites are very web 1.0 like and I don't see myself paying money to a unknown guide to take me fishing when all I can see is their name and email address I'd like to see photos, reviews, descriptions or their services etc... I can see why people are emailing you for advice this is a good opportunity especially given that you can build links and push the lead gen site through established blogs.

Now I know this guy who did this sort of business and he was down in Mississippi but he tried to hook people up from all over the country. His business suffered and I am not sure if it was the wrong approach, poor business etc.

He would contact guides from all over and work a deal that if he could find them clients he would get a fee. From what I remember the reason he suffered was he charged 10% from the guide. In other words the guide was paying the fee and it seemed too high for them. They liked the clients but after paying out the 10% it wasn't always worth it for them since they have expenses.

10% is a huge amount and I can see why the guides balked at this fee. Paying a fee for each new customer rather than paying to compete with other guides for the business is a risk free model for guides but a 10% fee is too much. Would you consider partnering with this gentleman and combining his technical skill with your ability to push the service through the blog network or would you rather do this alone?

So how do you think I could approach this? I thought I could target local businesses within my state and then as things grow I can move into other states etc.

I don't know how you would go about signing up clients to the lead service but as for launching into other states just be sure you don't choose a url too specific to Maine or build the site around Maine fishing only.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Hey thanks for the quick response. There is tons of opportunity for this. I could use the blog network as leverage but the only road block is that I provide a platform for other bloggers to write content. The content is not controlled by me necessarily. I just run ads and control the templates. So reviews, pics, etc, would have to be written by the bloggers and not by me which then makes it difficult on my end.

I think I would want to do the lead gen separately but use the blog network to advertise my lead gen business for example.

I wouldn't mind partnering with someone here who would do all the technical work while I did more of the networking. I am sure we could work out the details of that. I could do it alone but there are people I know in the industry that if we built this up we could possibly sell the business to. So doing a 5 year plan and then selling it off at that point could be an option.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Get in contact with some local guides FIRST, and see what their needs are. Just talk with them and explain the skinny moose and your plans... you say you have email leads now, send them some for free after you speak with them and if the back end is good for them, believe me, they will be asking for more. Open negotiations.

Alternatively, contact guides as mentioned above and tell them you're looking for quality people so travelers don't get shanked and have a poor experience. Send the leads for free just to build your brand equity so the outdoor community will become more aware of the skinny moose. Opens doors later on.

Side note, tons of people need some help if you're game for hand holding. For example, this guy Maine Bear Hunting is one the guys that taught me how to fly fish as a kid. Could use some serious help! I'll probably be in Eustis later this summer and need to hook him up if he wants it. Otherwise, you see by the nature of that site what kind of work guides are settling for.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Hey I just caught this. I have contacted a few guides who are open to the idea. How is this different from affiliate marketing?

Would I charge per lead for it to equal a Lead Generation site and charge per actual referral to be an affiliate program?

Anyway, I see sites out there all the time matching Investors with those who are looking for Investors. Couldn't I create a site matching hunters and guides?

Maybe free sign ups for hunters but for those guides to be listed to contact those hunters they pay a monthly fee??

How would that work?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.