The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Interpreter or No Interpreter

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
JP here, (I'll be x-posting this in my electroplating thread because its the lead up to this)

I've had an interesting turn of events regarding this, I've been really occupied with web projects.

I've been busy working on this business and trying to move it forward reaching out into my network that I'm trying to establish this service by contacting different vendors and stuff. No clients but people are responding positively, and offering help on to build this from the ground up.

Now, because this has gotten out into the grapevine individuals in the industry have contacted me for employment opportunities in terms of upper management. A few I've already turned down due to the moving aspect. However, I have one place that appealed to me and it’s a electroplating manufacturing plant manager position.

I've gone ahead and chatted with them on the phone and email now I've gotten the interview set up and they were happy with my qualifications and experience regarding electroplating. So naturally, being deaf I requested an interpreter for some accommodation due to the challenges I face in terms of communicating in large groups.

Now, what starts from here is somewhat a controversial topic but I wanted to share this with you because as a rookie entrepreneur (even if I started a few years ago I still consider myself new in this).

I get the stress and concern when it comes to hiring a disabled individual, but whatever you do. Don't refuse them on accommodation services thinking about expenses or challenges regarding their disability excluding when it comes to safety. If you’re concerned with the expenses of the accommodation, using a sign language interpreter and other tools I mentioned qualify for the Disabled Access Credit in the Tax Code. Here’s the tax form for Small Businesses if you want to review it.

I also want to say this, I get the concern and where this employer's thoughts are. However, when I requested an interpreter I was pushed back with I should be able to communicate with no issue because I read lips very well. At the same time It is important that I should be capable of daily communications with them, my subordinates, and my management staff. For this reason, they are refusing to accommodate an interpreter to evaluate my communication ability without access to a toolset that would put me on an equal playing field. Like I said, I get it, they're concerned with my ability to do the work effectively and the job requires an individual that is effective and communicating and directing the work place.

However, this is where I stand as a Deaf individual trying to advance in the modern world. I know that the world is not a fair place to be and there are certain obstacles that I have to face that others do not. The position I'm stuck in is the fact that It's an lose-lose situation, Without an interpreter the best case scenario would be I would miss what they say occasionally, but I still manage to communicate with everyone. Worst case would be they tend to mumble and speak in a weird pattern (I get used to it over time, but not at a first impression) and I lose the job because I don’t understand what they said. On the other hand, if I push for an interpreter they will just accept the fact that I cannot communicate without one and consider me unfit for the job without learning about different options such as phone video relay interpreting or live captioning(which I use at my current job in the mumble situation).

Another thing is what they said was something that should not have been stated. There is an clause in the American Disabilities Act (ADA) where "An employer cannot refuse to hire you based on a slightly increased risk, speculation about future risk, or generalizations about your disability. The employer must also consider whether a risk can be eliminated or reduced to an acceptable level with a reasonable accommodation."

It is made really clear in the law that an sign language interpreter is considered an reasonable accommodation during an employment interview, since the government will reimburse you for it in taxes. This is what I wanted to share with you guys because some of you employ people and be aware of accommodation needs, even the big companies fall short of this, ie.

McDonald's pays up after manager refuses to interview deaf applicant

Deaf Miami Costco Employee Wins $775,000 After Being Fired Because She Was "Too Loud"

EEOC Sues Walmart Stores East for Disability Discrimination | JD Supra

Now here is where I'm stuck, I have two options or a combination of the two.

First scenario would be to push for an interpreter and be clear about my reasonable accommodation rights risk having the interview cancelled at this great opportunity. Then this could lead to a court lawsuit that earns me maybe a mere 50k or a massive payout but the reality is it might curb my career of six figure salaries and learning how to manage large facilities that will contribute to my Fastlane experience. Career will be hindered due to the burning of bridges of the network I've built trying to reach out into a small industry like electroplating.

Another was to go and show up and try to do my best at the interview at a new environment and no chance to adjust to the new individuals whatsoever. The risk would be I don’t understand anyone and I just don't get the job but afterwards I would think about if I get the interpreter I could've made it clear that I don’t need services 24/7.

So what I'm doing is proceeding to the interview without an interpreter and keeping in touch with a lawyer just in case more things develop. I thought I'll share this with you just in case you decide to hire someone that is disabled, make sure you make the necessary accommodations because they might be the most talented employee you'll get due to them appreciating your patience with them and you'll get reimbursed for it in the end.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Thanks for sharing your story.

I got an idea.
During the interview, are you allowed to write things for the interviewer to read?

You can try your best to read lips, but if you think you come to a junction were you fear you may be misunderstood, could you try scribbling short messages for him to quickly read and come back to you?

I know this might be awkward for everyone...but it's another way, isn't it?

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Oh yeah for sure, but this can be a major interruption in the flow of the conversation and pressures the people involved in the conversation to be patient more than necessary and the reality is people don't like to wait. Especially in the world of instant gratification nowadays.

It is an approach that i use often, I have an app that i can type into and it'll speak out my words so its much quicker than scribing something.
Thanks for sharing your story.

I got an idea.
During the interview, are you allowed to write things for the interviewer to read?

You can try your best to read lips, but if you think you come to a junction were you fear you may be misunderstood, could you try scribbling short messages for him to quickly read and come back to you?

I know this might be awkward for everyone...but it's another way, isn't it?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.