The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Initial market research plan for a SaaS tool, would you add anything?

Idea threads

miguelst

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Oct 2, 2022
I have a SaaS idea that I want to validate, before starting to build anything (which is difficult as a developer, it's always itching to get going! But not this time, I want really thorough market research). These are the ideas I got.

Initial research
  • Create a list of questions, question about the problem
    • Have you already had this problem? How is it affecting your business etc.
    • I won't talk about my proposed solution, only listen for the problem
  • Arrange 10 video calls with people from my network or close network, to go over these questions
    • I will add that the findings will be written in a blog post, and I can include the interviewee's details, it could get them some website visitors or network opportunities
    • I will add that I'm going to select 4 "Early advisors" that get free access to my solution, and can help shape it.
  • Re-arrange the questions based on my findings and feedback from the video interviews
  • At the same time: Send out a message to a few people on Twitter and Reddit, "“Hi - I’m working on a startup idea and I have a thesis that [...]. Is this is a problem for you or anyone you know? Would you mind giving me some feedback?”
  • Use the above to send out a digital Survey (more people), I'm going to use a Loom video to request/invite them to this, to add a personal touch.
  • Time for my own research: Look for competitors, alternative solutions
If all goes well and I found a problem
  • Create a sales deck with screenshots
  • Create a prototype
  • Setup a landing page and gather e-mail addresses, with a waiting list
That's the idea for getting started, is there anything I'm missing?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

circleme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jan 17, 2023
Have you already had this problem? How is it affecting your business etc.
That sounds like you are the one who has the problem. Most of the time, that is a big red flag, as you can be biased quite heavily. The only thing that matters to me nowadays are the problems of my potential, future customers (plural, not singular). If only one person has the problem, it might be worth investigating/researching a little bit more, but most of the time, you want to see the problem multiple times or hear from many people who complain about it.

Everything else you are writing was my route as well:

1. Niche finding
  2. TAM analysis > should be big enough so that if I convert 5% of the TAM, I'm still in the five figures MRR
  3. Problem finding
  4. Creating an MVP with only 1 feature so I'm able to fail faster if they don't like it and move on to the next idea
  5. If they like what you provide, you still don't know if they are willing to pay for the feature or the final product. Most of the time, the feature alone is not enough value to get a paying customer/subscriber. (Just my experience)
  6. Customer feedback, Customer feedback, Customer feedback...
At this point, I'm improving my product based on user feedback from MVP to MVP+. What that means is that I'm starting to feature-gate quite a bit. Depending on B2B vs. B2C (I'm only B2B), I'm providing the feature gate through freemium, obviously.

But the key takeaway from my post is that I would never start with my problem. I guess that there are a lot of people disagreeing with me on that point, as it is quite possible that many other people have the same problem as I do. However, I don't want to pursue something where the possibility of getting a huge me-bias is incredibly high.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.