The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

In my view Aussie real estate is due for a crash or contraction.

michael

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
I have thought Aussie housing prices have been unsustainable for years, no matter how strong other aspects of our economy are (mining, agriculture esp) I have really struggled to see how average housing prices 9 and 10 times averages wages could be maintained.

It was not until last week after noticing auctions in my local area failing to clear and a glut of vacant and for sale buildings that I really did any research into things beyond basic wages/prices figures but I've come to the conclusion the fundamentals in Oz do not allow prices to remain at current levels. Short term a few things are holding prices up including:
  • Government schemes to bolster first buyers deposits.
  • Stamp duty tax breaks in some states.
  • Unfounded fears of housing shortage.
  • Dumb money (overconfidence).
  • An otherwise stable economy.

Longer term however I am convinced that housing markets here will drop based on other indicators I've dug up. Given we are unlikely to experience unemployment on the same levels of America and our laws do not allow homeowners to simply walk away from their debts in the same way a crash isn't a definite however they have got to normalise sooner or later and prices will come down and banks will no doubt suffer.

Indicators are freely available for anyone who wants to identify and search for them on google. Things that worry me are huge rises in utility costs in the most populous state which put huge pressure on people struggling with mortgage payments. The other things are credit card debts up 70% in the last 5 years and seemingly a trend towards delinquency on bills and personal debts. We also have 3.1% inflation which is going to force a rate rise on Nov2 which may pressure some people into going delinquent on payments and will further reduce already low new home sales.

I am not going to post all the indicators as there is no space for dozens of links to sales stats, government stats, news articles, opinion pieces and analysis and other sources and besides as RussH says you need to do your own due diligence but the main indicators are easily found via google. This article below sums up the magnitude of our bubble relative to the US bubble and also covers just how damn exposed our banks are the mortgage markets.
How to Profit From the Coming Aussie Property Crash (and Banking Crisis)

Has anyone else been looking into the Aussie real estate market? Are your perceptions the same of do you think the otherwise strong economy will keep the market stable? If you see a contraction or crash coming what would you suggest the time frame would be and do you think a rate rise in November will set a correction in motion?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

michael

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
As for making money of my fear in a decline I closed out shares in a mineral company today with a 12% gain on the month and now all my money is in AUD. I feel there will be a spike in AUD when rates rise on Nov 2nd but after that I am not sure what to do.

One option would be to buy NOK, I Norway has a strong economy and with a huge positive balance of trade their dollar surely cannot go down unless artificially manipulated. They are currently down against AUD and if any trouble comes out of Australia NOK will be one of the hot currencies people put their money into.
http://www.x-rates.com/d/AUD/NOK/graph120.html

The other option would be to short my countries banks especially CBA the most exposed to mortgages but also other options to short would be local steel makers that service the residential market, real estate companies and especially short term discretionary retailers. My only fear is that they will stay artificially propped up for a while by investors or that at any signs of trouble the government will step in and intervene to maintain prices. Shorting in Australia is restricted and requires you to meet a few conditions as per the link below but is still possible.
http://www.asic.gov.au/asic/pdflib.nsf/LookupByFileName/rg196-1.pdf/$file/rg196-1.pdf

Thoughts? What would you guys consider a good place to be in the event of a fall in the Aussie house markets?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.